chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread
Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 2
Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 3
Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 4
Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 5
Its allready that time of year to start planing for this summers vegetable garden.
All our heirloom seed orders for this year have been recieved and weve actually started some basil, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach under lites.
We have found Fedco seeds to be some of the best, however better order now as many seeds sell out.

Some shots of last years garden, cant wait....

Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread

Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 2

Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 3

Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 4

Colorado 2012 vegetable garden thread 5

S

Seed Buyer

tomato growers.com out of FL has an absurd tomato selection. I would guess over 500 strains. I would highly recommend the Virgina Sweets ( a bicolor), Black Cherry and the Black from Tula (the Russians have epic heirloom tomato genetics).

putembk

putembk

Not going to do seeds indoors this year. Simply don't have time with all going on now. Those tomatoes sure look good. I know they aren't but look like better boys.
I usually start lettuce, spinach, carrots, beats, radishes as soon as the soil reaches 50 degrees and broccoli a couple of weeks later.
Can't wait, I'm just about out of everything from last year. All the rumors going around about our food supply makes me want to get started all the more.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Not going to do seeds indoors this year. Simply don't have time with all going on now. Those tomatoes sure look good. I know they aren't but look like better boys.
I usually start lettuce, spinach, carrots, beats, radishes as soon as the soil reaches 50 degrees and broccoli a couple of weeks later.
Can't wait, I'm just about out of everything from last year. All the rumors going around about our food supply makes me want to get started all the more.

Next visit get some starts.....

K

kolah

Nice pics CM!

I will be tripling my veggie crops this year. If we have a good year I should have enough to pack my root cellar to the hilt. Up here it's best to grow most root vegetables like potatoes, yams, onion, garlic, beets, radishes, etc..and always 2 rounds of lettuce, spinach and other greens. I'll be planting a boatload of berry bushes as well as they love the acidic soil on my land.

putembk

putembk

Would be willing to trade (vegetables) with anybody who is interested. Maybe we can have our own organic farmers market. Only problem, tomatoes are what everybody wants and that's later on in the year for me.
Would love some high country wine. My brother makes great grape juice, his wine tastes like cat piss though.

putembk

putembk

Got my outdoor garden going this weekend. Soil temp has reached 50 at about 6" into the dirt and that is when I start planting cold weather veggies. Tilled the soil and planted lettuce, spinach, radishes, beets and carrots. In about two weeks, weather permitting, I will put broccoli and peas in the soil. I can't really do any warm weather plants until almost June because I always get a late frost. Can't wait to leave that store bought shit on the shelves.

altimood

altimood

Hey CM, I see you made it! Ha Ha - Hey man I had some great horseradish lettuce last year from a neighbor. You ever try that? Spicy leaf kick- real good stuff. Nice Putembk- I'm about to get mine rollin' as well. That fire today reminded me of the Hayman fire, wind didn't help

putembk

putembk

After spending the morning downstairs in my indoor garden spent the rest of the afternoon planting my warm weather outdoor crops in my veggie garden. Planted 9 tomatoes 21 peppers and cucumbers. I will finish today with beans, squash, herbs and back plant assorted other stuff.

I was so tired last night and knew it was going to be clear, low humidity, light winds and cool that I didn't bother covering anything hoping that there wouldn't be frost this morning. Woke up at dawn and there was a light frost do I sprayed everything off and I think all is well. Will know more after the sun has been on everything for an hour or so.

If my tomatoes and peppers got nipped I am going to bang my head up against the nearest wall for about an hour. All that work and loose them the first fricken day!!! What a dumb ass. Good old Colorado, I have lost stuff due to frost as late as early June. You would think I would know better. Alcohol and pot make you lazy.

putembk

putembk

All made it fine, showing a little sun stress. Will give some shade.

putembk

putembk

All look great, how long before you can move them outside Judy?

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Will start puttin them outside around the 26th, just after I glue Judys eyes shut for the summer...

putembk

putembk

Garden is now 100% in, just got back from 2 hr hike. Will pull pansies tomorrow, which I keep alive all winter. Petunias, marigolds, geraniums and impatiens will go in where they came out. Once that's done all planting is done for the summer and I will just lay around drink beer and smoke pot all summer. ha ha!

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice pics Chickenman...... I have to admitt I can not grow veggies for shit....... I've tried a bunch of times, I always get small or no fruits and really tough skin, and a bitter tasting product... I grow something else a lot better, so I stick to that, and hit the fruit stands and farmers markets all summer long. Now I am stoked for some good tomatoes, already been eating decent corn, they must get the early corn from somewhere far, far, away.......

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Real food by real people i love it chickenman keep up the great work! i wish i lived next to you! :)

putembk

putembk

Tip of the day: Don't ever eat a tomato that has been in a refrigerator. It will take the home grown flavor right out of it.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Outdoor vegetable garden all ready to go, landscape cloth, irrigation tapes save water and keeps weeds down
Mmmm 001 800x600
Mmmm 002 800x600
Mmmm 004 800x600

putembk

putembk

It's fricken May 27th all flowers and vegetable garden are in place for the warmer months coming. Just one problem, just saw on the weather channel there is a frost/freeze warning in the front range foothills tonight. Shit!! It happens every year and I normally wait for June but this year everything seemed 3 weeks ahead of schedule so I risk it and will now have to bust my ass to save everything.

One gallon pots turned upside down will do the trick on the smaller stuff and a combination of 5 gal pots and drop cloths will work on the rest. Hopefully the wind won't blow so the drop cloths will stay in place. Unfortunately no wind increases the likelihood of frost.

Glad I stayed home for the holiday. Had a feeling this would happen with the unsettled weather lately.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Charlotte and My Honeygirl..Dairy does...
Tttttt 001 800x600

Latest posts

Top Bottom