Colorado 2012 Vegetable Garden Thread

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Veggie starts in greenhouse, will crank on propane heat tonite.
Tttttt 007 800x600
Tttttt 009 800x600
Tttttt 010 800x600
Tttttt 011 800x600

putembk

putembk

Nice starts. Must be nice to have all that room. I am in the same situation with my veggies that I am in with my mmj. trying to maximize my yield with limited plants and space. Oh, and limited growing time. My warm weather starts are just now breaking ground, except tomatoes and peppers which I got at the nursery.

I have been eating lettuce, spinach and radishes since the beginning of may and peas are close.

Damn sparrows pulled some of my cucumbers and squash just as they broke ground. THERE GOES THE BIRD FEEDERS. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Watch out for spider mites. I found one today in my tomatoes. Do your due diligence, it only takes one of those fuckers to ruin a grow.

Hope you caught some fish this weekend.

K

kolah

CM, looks sweet! You got a great start...sure beats me.

Putembk, I hear ya. I got some veggies started which will be covered up but my medicinal plants in the greenhouse had to be hauled inside. It may even snow. I ain't gonna risk losing my Bubba-Shine. I'll tuck em' in my bunk if I have to.

putembk

putembk

Just finished covering everything. Still in the high 50's but the humidity is under 10% with clear skies and no wind, perfect conditions for frost.
Am sitting here smoking a mix of Chemdog #4 and banana kush. Both have been curing for about 30 days and have finished nice, especially when you mix and toke. lol

GhostFace

GhostFace

temps going down to the low 20's in the highcountry tonite..around 40 here in the burbs. my veggies took a beating here in the last few days with this high wind ;( brought them back inside for tonite

Skummy

Skummy

Here is my kids summer veg garden.... Teach em young!
We got
Zucchini
Cucumbers
Yellow squash
Carrots
Spinach
Jalapenos
Anaheim chilis
Tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes
And gonna pop some sugar baby watermelons this week!

Never really did a whole vegetable grow so its gonna be as fun for me as them!

Veggarden

putembk

putembk

Here is my kids summer veg garden.... Teach em young!
We got
Zucchini
Cucumbers
Yellow squash
Carrots
Spinach
Jalapenos
Anaheim chilis
Tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes
And gonna pop some sugar baby watermelons this week!

Never really did a whole vegetable grow so its gonna be as fun for me as them!

View attachment 220803
You are going to love that outdoor grow. I do. Everything survived the night, no frost even though I covered everything. Watch, the first time I get lazy and don't cover them it will frost.

Skummy

Skummy

The cool.thing is the kids school gave us seed and plants to grow so we basicly picked what the kids wanted to grow and the provided all seeds and cutlings... Pretty Rad if you ask me..

putembk

putembk

The cool.thing is the kids school gave us seed and plants to grow so we basicly picked what the kids wanted to grow and the provided all seeds and cutlings... Pretty Rad if you ask me..
Make sure any left overs go back to the kids. One problem: they want your tomatoes and won't touch your squash. ha ha I am famous in my neighborhood for my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. Nobody wants any squash, beets or asparagus.
My wife has a whole cookbook on squash...still have some of that shit left over from last summer. I have 14 various kinds of squash plants in the ground. You gardeners all know exactly how much squash that is going to produce. I'm screwed. I will be shittin squash from here to hell and back.

K

kolah

Man, I love squash...all kinds...with butter and sea salt. I also dig eggplant, deep-fried.

putembk

putembk

Man, I love squash...all kinds...with butter and sea salt. I also dig eggplant, deep-fried.
Italian food is my favorite and eggplant is my favorite Italian dish. Will bring you some goodies with squash this summer. Romanos on Littleton blvd has some of the best eggplant in the city.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Cut that squash up and grill it with a little olive oil and seasonings,good shit!

putembk

putembk

Danger of frost seems to be over here. Just spent 4 hrs working outside and noticed flea beetles on the tomatoes. Sprayed them with neem oil but as I remember it works on the mites but not the beetles. Anybody ever had these pesky little creatures and know an organic way of mitigating them?

K

kolah

putembk, I ain't heard of flea beetles. You talking about cucumber beetles? Or fleas like cats and dogs get? ?? We got a shitload of ticks up here this year. Horses were loaded with them. I use lavender oil as ticks hate the shit.

I plant in garlic and onions with my other veggies to deter stuff ....and marigolds are good at keeping critters out. There are some good soap and garlic solutions you can mix up too..and hot pepper solutions as well. Test it out first on a small area and do it at dusk.

I just put all my taters' in. I am already eating dandelion, spinach and lettuce and radishes will be popped up next week. I love pickled radishes. Not only do I eat the dandelion leaves but I also eat the dandelion flowers. You quick-fry them in butter, salt em' and add a little oil and vinegar. They taste like mushrooms and are packed with good nutes.

Gotz me :D some poppy plants coming up too.

putembk

putembk

putembk, I ain't heard of flea beetles. You talking about cucumber beetles? Or fleas like cats and dogs get? ?? We got a shitload of ticks up here this year. Horses were loaded with them. I use lavender oil as ticks hate the shit.

I plant in garlic and onions with my other veggies to deter stuff ....and marigolds are good at keeping critters out. There are some good soap and garlic solutions you can mix up too..and hot pepper solutions as well. Test it out first on a small area and do it at dusk.

I just put all my taters' in. I am already eating dandelion, spinach and lettuce and radishes will be popped up next week. I love pickled radishes. Not only do I eat the dandelion leaves but I also eat the dandelion flowers. You quick-fry them in butter, salt em' and add a little oil and vinegar. They taste like mushrooms and are packed with good nutes.

Gotz me :D some poppy plants coming up too.
Sounds like your garden is cook'n. Google flea beetles and you will see my problem. Just started getting them in the last couple of years. The reason they are called flea beetles is they jump just like a flea. Also, regarding dandelions, I do the same with the squash flowers. I try to live on fresh veggies, chicken and fish in the summer. I do get red meat once every three weeks and cheat as often as I can though.

GhostFace

GhostFace

all my veggies,dirt,leaves,branches tossed & thrown everyplace this morning. all had been 2'-3'tall lush and just starting to throw flowers out and now all in the trash..nothing left even to save or re-veg..i think from the looks of things we got hit with a tornado..even the screens on the windows got blown out along with 4" of hail piled up everyplace ;(

putembk

putembk

all my veggies,dirt,leaves,branches tossed & thrown everyplace this morning. all had been 2'-3'tall lush and just starting to throw flowers out and now all in the trash..nothing left even to save or re-veg..i think from the looks of things we got hit with a tornado..even the screens on the windows got blown out along with 4" of hail piled up everyplace ;(
Danger of frost is gone now what the hail? Was watching the radar up until about 11:00 last night and I thought I was in the clear. Wrong!!! Just dozing off to sleep about 11:45 and it started to rain and then I heard a hail stone hit my deck. Jumped up and holy shit no time to do anything except watch. Everything is beat down but not to the ground. I think I can salvage about 80%, I'm lucky another five minutes and the whole thing would have been lost.

Sorry Ghost, to much work to have everything destroyed like that. The nursery's are going to go crazy this weekend with everybody having to replant all that was lost. Shit happens.

putembk

putembk

crazy shiz
Holly shit, I lucked out! Had some marble size that lasted about 3 or 4 minutes. Have been out to see whats left. Like I said, got the shit beat out of things but most will come back. Round two today...will be more prepared this time. What a helpless, hopeless feeling but farmers are a resilient bunch and I will back plant.

Top Bottom