Drying One Plant Odour Control

• Thread starter BrandyBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BrandyBud

Hi, first post so please go easy on me :D

I am a week away from harvesting a small (less than 60cm) autoflower sour diesel that was grown speculatively in a pot in my garden, not expecting much, but has lots of nice small buds developing all over it.

I am planning to hang it to dry in my attic and have bought some ona gel to mask the smell. I am aware of the problems of the gel leaching onto the buds and wondered what is the best thing to do?

For such a small amount of weed, should some gel on the landing beneath the loft hatch (whose lid is quite a tight fit) be enough to stop any smell seeping out, or would a small cup of gel in the attic but at the other end from where my plant will be hanging be ok, to neutralise the smell in the attic without leaching onto the buds, as it will only be for a few days? I considered buying a tent to hang the buds in to create a barrier between the drying plant and the air with gel in it but imagine that without a fan it may be at risk of mold.

This may well be a one off grow so don't really want to start buying tents or fans unless I really have to, but I've got this far with my plant and want to harvest and dry it without being detected by my neighbours - who are shitty about smelling smoke let alone a grow. Also, would any smell leak into their attic? I don't think there are any holes but not sure just how invasive the smell will be.

Many thanks in advance! :)

Monster762

Monster762

Do you have an exhaust at all up there? Be careful with anything smelly yo put in the room as it will transfer to your buds n change taste smell etc.

B

BrandyBud

Do you have an exhaust at all up there? Be careful with anything smelly yo put in the room as it will transfer to your buds n change taste smell etc.

No, nothing I'm afraid. Am thinking of getting a cheap cupboard or similar and drying it in there in the attic with the ona gel by the loft hatch, to create a barrier between the plant and the gel. I don't know if that would potentially create a mold problem though? I'm trying to figure out just how bad one small plant will be, because I'm so close to my goal now!

Monster762

Monster762

No, nothing I'm afraid. Am thinking of getting a cheap cupboard or similar and drying it in there in the attic with the ona gel by the loft hatch, to create a barrier between the plant and the gel. I don't know if that would potentially create a mold problem though? I'm trying to figure out just how bad one small plant will be, because I'm so close to my goal now!
How big is the plant. About how much bud. It only takes s little bit of good weed to stink up pretty bad. Is there a window at all up there. ?

Monster762

Monster762

You might be able to put it in opposite corner of attic from hatch and run your gel outside the hatch like you said. Moth balls cover smell real well and are cheap. Dollar store has them. But again don't close them in room. Put outside the room. Make sure no children or animals can get to the moth balls. They will make while top floor smell like moth balls. They now make moth balls that smell like a bathroom urinal cake. Which actually doesn't smell too bad. It's like a mix of cleaner and laundry detergent smell. That's what I put inside an exhaust vent n blow it right outside in a dense city.

saltwater

saltwater

Something I do... not something everyone does. Everyone has their own opinion.

I trim off all the fan leaves. Then cut the stem. Hang my plant using a plastic hanger upside down.

Then I dry it in my tent or whatever space in a dark area that is vented. Where I live it takes me about 1-2 weeks to get a good dry . Then I trim off the branches if it's drying too slow and hang this individually off the hanger(s).

Then when dry I'll trim the buds and save the leaves for edibles or lotion.

I cure them for abou two weeks or more in glass Mason jars.

B

BrandyBud

How big is the plant. About how much bud. It only takes s little bit of good weed to stink up pretty bad. Is there a window at all up there. ?

Sorry for the late reply...
The plant is two feet tall, small buds. Really not that much weed. I think I'm going to take my chances on hanging it in my attic and using the ona gel on my landing. I will have to hope that there are no cracks for any odour to leak into next doors attic although they don't use it so I'm hoping a few days with a small amount will be ok. I'll let you know how it goes:)

BudBogart

BudBogart

The more weed, the longer it takes to dry. With the amount of bud you are talking it will dry enough in a warm attic in only a day or so, enough to finish drying inside a large paper bag that you can open and close as needed to properly slow dry. That should reduce the amount of time the buds reek.

B

BrandyBud

The more weed, the longer it takes to dry. With the amount of bud you are talking it will dry enough in a warm attic in only a day or so, enough to finish drying inside a large paper bag that you can open and close as needed to properly slow dry. That should reduce the amount of time the buds reek.

Ok thanks. I just started another thread regarding only having a week to dry them before I go on holiday before seeing your reply. (Basic noob errors!) If it will only take a day or two to dry I'm hoping the issues there may be less serious!

B

BrandyBud

I'll be honest, I'm scared about the smell. I don't want to risk my neighbours smelling it, it would mean trouble for me.

Am I correct in thinking that the cheapest sure way to dry with no odours is buying a cheap grow tent, an inline fan and carbon filter? Roughly how much am I looking at it costing?

Dan789

Dan789

That's the concept, tent, fan, filter. As far as cheap, spending a little money now will provide you with some peace of mind going forward, and for those three items it's about $300, all roughly thirds of the total.

B

BrandyBud

That's the concept, tent, fan, filter. As far as cheap, spending a little money now will provide you with some peace of mind going forward, and for those three items it's about $300, all roughly thirds of the total.

That's what I thought. Many thanks.

BudBogart

BudBogart

This is August. Six months after harvest. My bud is stored in mason jars stored in cardboard boxes with lids and kept in a bedroom closet, stored in a closed bedroom. I just had someone follow me into the closed bedroom and remark " damn it smells good in here, lol. But I do have a bit more bud stored away, lol.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Hi, first post so please go easy on me :D

I am a week away from harvesting a small (less than 60cm) autoflower sour diesel that was grown speculatively in a pot in my garden, not expecting much, but has lots of nice small buds developing all over it.

I am planning to hang it to dry in my attic and have bought some ona gel to mask the smell. I am aware of the problems of the gel leaching onto the buds and wondered what is the best thing to do?

For such a small amount of weed, should some gel on the landing beneath the loft hatch (whose lid is quite a tight fit) be enough to stop any smell seeping out, or would a small cup of gel in the attic but at the other end from where my plant will be hanging be ok, to neutralise the smell in the attic without leaching onto the buds, as it will only be for a few days? I considered buying a tent to hang the buds in to create a barrier between the drying plant and the air with gel in it but imagine that without a fan it may be at risk of mold.

This may well be a one off grow so don't really want to start buying tents or fans unless I really have to, but I've got this far with my plant and want to harvest and dry it without being detected by my neighbours - who are shitty about smelling smoke let alone a grow. Also, would any smell leak into their attic? I don't think there are any holes but not sure just how invasive the smell will be.

Many thanks in advance! :)

Unfortunately smell and hiding it is part of the game lol it will only smell for a week or less depending on conditions then once I put into jars u should b fine I have use ona gel a few times and I would not worry about it seeping into the buds you won't taste it or anything maybe just don't have it super close to the buds

B

BrandyBud

Unfortunately smell and hiding it is part of the game lol it will only smell for a week or less depending on conditions then once I put into jars u should b fine I have use ona gel a few times and I would not worry about it seeping into the buds you won't taste it or anything maybe just don't have it super close to the buds

Nice one for the info. I have been up in the attic today and the wall between us and the neighbour looks pretty solid. It's a Victorian house and well built. I am hopeful that it will all be ok and can always put a little ona gel up there if I get paranoid.

SpiderK

SpiderK

if your home all day burn a small fire in a pit when trimming or the first couple days you hang them ...

use oak and it will last. after its going good after a few hours put a few pieces on the fire that a soaked in water so they burn slowly.... if its on stone or rock that heat will keep the fire smoking for hours until u stoke it with some fresh wood.

or take a few days off / weekend.

Top Bottom