Eye damage from lighting?

• Thread starter singingcrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
singingcrow

singingcrow

Hi folks,

Went to the optician today for an eye exam and he said I have degenerative vision in my eyes with some loss of light penetration. Apparently the light is being difused rather than my eyes using available light. He said this is from damage from being in the sun and asked if I spent a lot of time outdoors.

Has anyone else had eye damage from indoor lights? I spend a bit of time everyday under my 1000W HPS bulb in my grow tent. I don't exactly stare up at the vent and fixture, but it is hella bright in there, as we all know.

Any and all information gratefully read! Thanks! Lisa

deep buddy

deep buddy

always wear good eye protection. hid lights will damage your vision. also i assume your tent is reflective inside , so you dont need to look directly at the arc tube to get exposed. im losing my hearing and my mobility, so i try to keep my other senses sharp.

there are glasses that will cut the glare from hps lamps and show true colors(really cool) just dont buy them from the "hobby" hydro stores. you can get them from a welding supply for alot cheaper. hope that helps

singingcrow

singingcrow

Thank you, it does help. Guess I need to order some good ones online and try to be cognizant about wearing them. Thank you.

Thoth

Thoth

Wow, a worrying thought that the lights we use could be causing permanent damage. Good luck.

singingcrow

singingcrow

Yeah, got me up all night. The doctor said 34 yrs old is very young to have a cataract...no! Got to avoid that, which is the next "step" in light fragmentation damage to the lens.

nebulius

nebulius

I have a digital ballast and always lower my lights to %75-50% light when working in there, to help protect vision.

Once I left it on S-bright and was in there for too long and got a sun burn on my neck:mad: .

dorjewright

dorjewright

What happened to the other posts and discussion on types of glasses????

singingcrow

singingcrow

Thanks everyone. I ordered some welders goggles. I definitely don't want cataracts at 34 years old!

generalgrievous

generalgrievous

just ordered a pair of method7's ..i flower under halide's but got 'em anyways for uv protection ..they have a mh lens cming out in a few months...

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Get a grip people. Your lights are nowhere near as powerful as the sun. You're not walking around outside (or in your room) wearing welding goggles are you? If you are, lol.You'll be okay. Urban myths abound. Smoking og18 and rofl thinking about goobs walking around outside or in their rooms wearing welding goggles. Try some Foster Grants goobs.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Get a grip people. Your lights are nowhere near as powerful as the sun. You're not walking around outside (or in your room) wearing welding goggles are you? If you are, lol.You'll be okay. Urban myths abound. Smoking og18 and rofl thinking about goobs walking around outside or in their rooms wearing welding goggles. Try some Foster Grants goobs.

Funny, I must have hit reply just before you edited your post. Now who's the goob?

outwest

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Aw man. Now I'm cracking up thinking about the mad scientist dude in Back To The Future wearing his welding glasses in the parking lot when the lightning flashes as if lightning flashes would hurt your eye sight like goobs that think they need to wear welding goggles in artificial light. hahhahahahaha.

Abdullah
sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Nothing personal dude. Just got killer buzz going and laughing at dudes walking around in welding goggles.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Really. Am I the only 1 that when he is super high thinks that goobs walking around in welding goggles like the mad scientist in Back To The Future is kinda funny?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
No way dude. Lester Homeslice from 7th grade homeroom was totally on board with that.

outwest

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Gotta admit, the pricey hobby glasses are really nice to look through, different than lampworking glasses too, much better cri or whatever. I wear green shade 5s around vertical bulbs and still worry about it (not goggles, just some wraparounds I got at airgas when swapping out tanks), selectively dimming while inside too. Inevitably I'm constantly peeking to see the plants color/texture, so maybe better glasses not such a bad investment. Still would like to find if theres a cheaper non-hydroscam version.

Latest posts

Top Bottom