Eye damage from lighting?

• Thread starter singingcrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I have the $25 lumii glasses, IMO they are good as far as true color but the lenses are not dark enough for vertical lighting. Does anyone know if the method7 glasses are okay for vertical lighting? ttystikk the $5 dollar glasses you talk about are they pretty dark?
I'm curious about this comparison too. I have <$10 shade 5 green glasses that are perfect for vert but hard to see otherwise. Shade 7 is too dark to really work unless you're torching. Shade 3 maybe okay for lighter vert use, easier to see everything else. I might try lumii next time I order some things.

ttystikk

ttystikk

welding glasses can be bought at grainger for about $17
this is not a joke - people on other forums have really screwed up their eyesight in vert rooms without protection
crack all the jokes you want or go spend $17 and save your eyes - its up to you

See? Like these- no need to spend a fortune to have good eye protection. I do like mine to be polarized as well, but that's a personal preference.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have the $25 lumii glasses, IMO they are good as far as true color but the lenses are not dark enough for vertical lighting. Does anyone know if the method7 glasses are okay for vertical lighting? ttystikk the $5 dollar glasses you talk about are they pretty dark?

Common man seriously, protect your eyes with the best uva/uvb glasses you can afford outdoors as well. Be smart not a smart azz. wraparounds are best.

I think you guys have the right attitude about eye protection. I am no expert- and the best I personally can afford are the $4.97 'Berkeley Angler' sunglasses from the Walmart sporting goods section! I'll say this for them, though; they are a true wraparound to prevent side glare, fully polarized, UVA and UVB coated, and tinted dark so a fisherman can look directly into the sunglare on the water to see fish. That for me fills the bill. The lenses are also a bit fragile in that the coating will wear off and scratch easily. So get new ones- at $5 apiece, they'll take you everywhere but the poorhouse, lol.

If you want to get some serious protection, I'm sure method 7 is a good setup, but then I have my old welder buddies tell me that they're just repurposed (and marked up) welding glasses.

Whatever you get, be sure it's UVA & UVB protected, polarized and tinted dark for 'intense light exposure'. :cool: <-- like dude, here...

Don't make me lecture you guys on what happens if you DON'T wear good eye protection...:mad:

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Anyone who's working around vert hps needs IR protection too. Trust me, or just google it if you don't. Unbelievable this is even still being debated.

I

Integgrity

Hi folks,

Went to the optician today for an eye exam and he said I have degenerative vision in my eyes with some loss of light penetration. Apparently the light is being difused rather than my eyes using available light. He said this is from damage from being in the sun and asked if I spent a lot of time outdoors.

Has anyone else had eye damage from indoor lights? I spend a bit of time everyday under my 1000W HPS bulb in my grow tent. I don't exactly stare up at the vent and fixture, but it is hella bright in there, as we all know.

Any and all information gratefully read! Thanks! Lisa

I

Integgrity

Eye protection is definitely advised. The effect of working under these types of grow lights is cumulative. You need to protect your eyes! I do inspections for insurance companies for growers, processors, etc. I noticed myself getting headaches and after image burn in my eye after leaving the rooms. What I mean by after image burn, is basically having the effect like you get when you have the displeasure of having your picture taken with a flashbulb. You know, that green blob that lingers in your vision after? Well, working under these lights for any amount of time will burn your retinas. It is permanent damage! You don't even have to look directly into the lights! Your skin will get burned also, so it is recommended to wear protective clothing- cover your arms and legs, wear a hat. For those of you who have bigger operations and employees, this can end up being a Workman's Compensation issue! Require everyone that goes in grow rooms- especially with the ones using High Pressure Sodium lights, to wear eye protection! I did some research on this and have ended up with a pair of Method 7s (M7s). Took a photo through them. Not only will they protect your vision, but they will also help you identify issues with your plants that you may not see due to the light color the bulbs emit.

SAM 8529

Latest posts

Top Bottom