Fermented Plant Extracts and making your own nutrient line

• Thread starter Hashshashin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
manitoid.

manitoid.

Is anyone aware if there is any medical issues with using comfrey as a fertilizer in this way?

"comfrey contains substances called pyrrolizidine alkaloids that are both toxic to the liver and carcinogenic."
Link

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I rcently read about using horsetail extract fot PM control.

Just because its "all natural and organic" doesn't mean it wont hurt ya!!!!!!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I rcently read about using horsetail extract fot PM control.

Just because its "all natural and organic" doesn't mean it wont hurt ya!!!!!!

Socrates commited suicide by eating hemlock- an all natural, completely organic plant. Eating any part of a potato or tomato plant other than the tuber or fruit is also quite deadly.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Stay away.

Chemist's orders.
Not quite clear on your statement without a quote.

you directing the member to stay away or for everyone to stay away from comfrey?

Good point missiphip!.

Another thought on the subject:
Where are you growing the plants for your extracts. Some plants remove heavy metals from the soil. Therefore if we may be worse off by using the plants for extracts if they were grown in toxic soils.

Garbage in garbage out.

squiggly

squiggly

Not quite clear on your statement without a quote.

you directing the member to stay away or for everyone to stay away from comfrey?

Good point missiphip!.

Another thought on the subject:
Where are you growing the plants for your extracts. Some plants remove heavy metals from the soil. Therefore if we may be worse off by using the plants for extracts if they were grown in toxic soils.

Garbage in garbage out.

For almost anything with pyrrolizidine in the name.

Strongly carcingenic substances--not something you want around ingestibles.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Socrates commited suicide by eating hemlock-
Actually I think it was more like polite murder?

First time the Squig leaves off a footnote and we're all over him! Expectation bar gets raised when it's dr. science talking eh? Or maybe just abd for now?

dextr0

dextr0

Fixin make me a simple FPE...Prickly Lettuce (wild), some LAB, and some time...see how the girls like it.

I started throwing the plant material in the freezer in hopes that it will rupture cells and Ill get all the goodies faster....Either way their so full of water When i slam em on the ground they burst into pieces. I feel that gives more space for beneficial to hold on to. Also easier then chopping a bunch of shit up...HATE that shit. Ill post as I do the steps.

This is step one, cut plant (leaves, stem, flowers whatever u wanna use depending on what your trying to do also; do your research), chop up into fine pieces (if u want) and put into ziplock and throw in freezer for a day or two.

(The Lab I been making beforehand; recipe on this thread)
DSC04161
DSC04162
DSC04163

D

dkgrower

Hey all, new here- anyway here are some points i learn from making FPE the last years.

To me the most important thing is to make your fermentation go thu and end with a pH at 3.5 or lower.

This secure long self time and that unwanted bacteria wont grow due to the low pH value.

Also a general ratio of 40% plant matter 10 % molasse mixed with LAB and 50 % water is a good working mixture.

When fermenting at low temperatures or with very sterile materiale like steamed bone, it can take up to 12 months before its rdy at pH 3.5 or below.

U want alot of gas production when fermentation is going on.

I dont know if this have been covered but LAB make inorganic phosphor, bio avalibol when they produce ATP.

Hope this add some usefull info,

If u want i can post my recipes that i used last year on a greenhouse light dep crop, results where very good and consistent they only got FPE and Molasses.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hey all, new here- anyway here are some points i learn from making FPE the last years.

To me the most important thing is to make your fermentation go thu and end with a pH at 3.5 or lower.

This secure long self time and that unwanted bacteria wont grow due to the low pH value.

Also a general ratio of 40% plant matter 10 % molasse mixed with LAB and 50 % water is a good working mixture.

When fermenting at low temperatures or with very sterile materiale like steamed bone, it can take up to 12 months before its rdy at pH 3.5 or below.

I dont know if this have been covered but LAB make inorganic phosphor, bio avalibol when they produce ATP.

If u want i can post my recipes that i used last year on a greenhouse light dep crop, results where very good and consistent they only got FPE and Molasses.

I'm very interested in seeing some specific recipes! I'm about to dip my toe into this water and see what I can gain from putting some of these techniques to use in my op...

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Yes Please could you post any recipes your willing to share. Im extremely interested in tips and your findings. Also could if you have any other ideas or related info I would be more than happy. I would love to know fermentation times as well, I know ph determines but a general idea would help. Thanks for sharing.
MW

rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

I got a microscope for xmas. The first thing I looked at was my own sperm(girlfiends request) then it was onto my LB. It's been in the fridge for a couple months. When I scoped it there was NO bacillus what so ever? Anyone scoped theirs? I'm starting another batch today well see how it looks with the new toy.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

WTF! coulda left that first part out homie but no worries. Let us know your findings buddy i myself have made some and wonder as well if Im doing any good.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I got a microscope for xmas. The first thing I looked at was my own sperm(girlfiends request) then it was onto my LB. It's been in the fridge for a couple months. When I scoped it there was NO bacillus what so ever? Anyone scoped theirs? I'm starting another batch today well see how it looks with the new toy.
Jesus Jumpin' Christ on a Cross, girlfiend is right!

Wanna do something really cool with that scope? Make some crystals, you can make them out of many things, but my dad did urine, salt, sugar, and some other things. He had an attachment for his SLR (no such thing as digital cameras back then, video had only just been made available for the general consumer) and his microscope and used a polarizing filter. Grew the crystals on slides, slapped 'em under the scope with the filter and took pix. Those photos resemble satellite imagery, BEFORE THERE WAS SATELLITE IMAGERY! Fractal geometry was unknown then, too.

You can also look at teas, but in the meantime you can literally make art.

Btw, for me personally, I really have trouble seeing bacteria, even at my scope's best of 400x magnification. I can only really make out the big stuff, and am not sure if I'm seeing fungal hyphae or algal threads if they're not obviously green.

squiggly

squiggly

Btw, for me personally, I really have trouble seeing bacteria, even at my scope's best of 400x magnification. I can only really make out the big stuff, and am not sure if I'm seeing fungal hyphae or algal threads if they're not obviously green.

400x is fairly low power to be looking for bacteria. Really want to be in the 1600-2000x range, and it helps to have a filter that is good for bacteria, like dark-field for instance.

400x is good, but it's essentially the top-of-the-line "high-school" microscope. It's not considered high powered and is more intended to look at the microfeatures of macrostructures (things we can see with the naked eye).

Top Bottom