Hps Vs Cmh Vs Led

• Thread starter heisen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Yeah man look at the purpling on the stems,Phosphorus without a doubt probably locked out from the absence of calcium to move it through the plant.Your LEDs are probably more powerful than you think and its putting the extra strain on the plants uptake.
So whats your rule of thumb for your wattage per sq ft under leds? Maybe I'm just over saturating my plants with the lighting. My flower light is at 50 watts a sq ft with the supplemental and about 41 with just the strips,

H

heisen

Hps side was 1060 ppm last night and tonight is 1020 with 900 going in from the top off.i think I found there sweet spot.
Cob and cmh side at 740 last night and 700 tonight with 850 in top off res.everything seems good to go for next 3 weeks of stretch and stack I'll maintain these numbers.

Scott's HPS
20180520 000550

20180520 001007

Cobs stretching like crazy

20180520 000937

CMH
Left bulb melted on the inside so I had to put up a 600 HPS till i can order another one on monday and have overnighted.shit happens

20180520 000954

Overall I feel like cobs and cmh are about even.the plants under the cmh have a nicer color and look cleaner.i think there really about the same except the cobs might produce more under growth due to multiple light sources over head.

Group shot

20180520 000559

Greenbum

Greenbum

Yeah man its 16x15 feet with a 24K mini split,RO system and CO2 controller.I built it specifically for this purpose.Has an exterior door on the inside that seals the room nice.I can get the CO2 ppm up to 1000 just breathing in the room come back an hr later and it only drop down to like 980.
I went through alot to seal it all up,moisture proof sheetrock,plywood ceilings to screw my fixtures in wherever i need them,several 30 amp outlets and everyone of them has a purpose.Bright as fuck painted walls with elastomeric.I put alot of thought into.The Veg room is next to this one but im still working on it.Will have 27 4 gallon buckets for starting plants.
Do u shoot that Co2 during veg or flower?

justiceman

justiceman

Just to clarify the left side on the last picture is the cobs and cmh(hps till new cmh comes), and the right side is the hps and normal mh?

Assuming that's right the cmh/cob side is blasting ahead with the stretch. This is gonna be a damn good show to watch. I can't wait to see how things look in the next few weeks here.

H

heisen

Just to clarify the left side on the last picture is the cobs and cmh(hps till new cmh comes), and the right side is the hps and normal mh?

Assuming that's right the cmh/cob side is blasting ahead with the stretch. This is gonna be a damn good show to watch. I can't wait to see how things look in the next few weeks here.
Yeah im pretty dumbfounded by this entire comparison.COBS and CMH are where its at.Im pulling the HPS out after this grow,I doubt i will ever run HPS again,Not when i can get 1000W CMH in 3100k full spectrum.
Anyone who thing
ks Cobs have no penetration or lack the stacking that HPS has is crazy as hell,I removed over 1 LARGE trash bag full of leaves and stems from under the scrog of the Left side.Because the cobs are overhead and spread out light penetrates all the way through.I can tell the cob growth is more fuller.The CMH growth looks cleaner,better color,nice structure.Cobs are like Jungle growth.

H

heisen

There flowering up pretty good,no difference at all between the cmh and the cobs.about the same stretch and node stacking.
HPS is dragging ass compared to the other side but is at 980 ppm stable and the cob and cmh side is at 680 stable.crazy shit.

Hps

20180523 231935

Cobs

20180523 231758

20180523 231723

Cmh

20180523 231838

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

H

heisen

Lookin fantastic bro. I would love to see those done with a DE hps as well
The next run will be 1 side 1500 watts of cobs vs 2 1000w nanolux DE CMH.ill have 6 strains on each side all clone only strains,wedding cake,wifi 43,gg4,sour dub, A dub and purple punch 2.0..ill run them from the get go and see where it goes and weigh the 2 plants from each side for final comparison on weight,color and trichs

H

heisen

I would run the DE but I cant justify buying them just for a comparison and them selling them after.i think after the new DE cmh 1000w become more widespread they will make de hps obsolete.like the old mercury vapors and t8s

hillbil

hillbil

Since I used the old Philips retros I will always have a soft spot for CMH. Apart from inducing leafiness the bulbs seemed to promote a certain richness in the buds. Hard to express but the buds even if less dense seemed very alive. Always sticky! Most all COBs here now and some discreet white/red panels when needed.

I also get heavy grow down the plant that unproductive under HID. Light from all those sources shoots between leaves rather than trying to bust through.

Interesting and meaningful thread except for the hydro stuff. Like hieroglyphics to a dirt guy!

Toaster79

Toaster79

It would be fun to see a side by side in three separate rooms. Since you're already using less power and less nutes on the led/cmh side, it would also be interesting to see if there are any differences in power consumption of AC. Like annual costs for each system. Add the bulbs to be exchanged regularly with cmh/hps compared to initial costs with led setup. Draw a line after a 5 year run.

H

heisen

I’m interested to know about stretching and stacking, if one lighting technology minimizes/maximizes them. Thanks for doing this @heisenbubble
I can take measurements later and give an average node distance from each light,I think stacking may have more to do with lights off temps and kelvin rating,but is still interesting,I dont see any difference between the CMH and COBS on node distance,The HPS is a little closer stacked.But it does appear that the HPS side is about to go ape shit.
Im starting to feel like the COBS have a slight edge over the CMH on downward growth,They are more fuller than the CMH.final weight will tell me if this is an advantage or disadvantage.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Im not sure why.You would think that more PPM means more growth.It has to do something with the spectrum is all i can guess.Fuller spectrum is encouraging more growth with less required nutrients.

The issue is there is no single variable you can point at - photosynthesis is a process with multiple inputs. In your case spectrum and actual delivered light energy ( not the wattage consumed from supplied power ). If lower nutrient concentrations are required this is a sort of diagnostic for how much transpiration is occurring. If H2O volume requirements are higher, then you get an equivalent amount of nutrients over that larger movement of H2O. That is why you have to control nutrient concentrations, or you can change the rate of transpiration by reducing the light energy levels. Spectrum may well play a role in stimulating chromophores that activate other pathways like the terpene expression, which is the more interesting part of your results.

Great thread and useful information. Thanks @heisenbubble
Awesome setup. You show how it can be done well. You get my GoodWeedKeeping seal.

Top Bottom