Hps Vs Cmh Vs Led

• Thread starter heisen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

Even when u look at the umol/j chart cobs are well into over 2umol/j.doesnt make sense for me to keep buying bulbs.that bulb was a week old and 100 dollars wadded up and thrown in the trash.
I see absolutely no advantage whatsoever in this comparison so far of bulbs vs led.
The cob scrog is tall from corner to corner,the HPS and cmh have that mound effect with the strongest growth under the bulbs.the outside areas always suffer

gwheels

gwheels

Do you think the bulb thing is heat related or something? I have run 1 bulb (i only have 1) for 2 grows. It comes on every time and has been ok. A phillips 3k. I find it very interesting that you have found no perceptable difference in trich content or the frost on the bud. I have had such limited grow time it may be I am getting better at the nute thing and timing it for the trichs (and the strains that I have grown were frostier).

There is a new light coming....aint there always. But it is a good one. There is an engineer from blackberry that has designed a CSA and UL approved 450 watt quantum fixture with a potentiometer that will automatically adjust (dim) if the heat gets too hot for the light to function properly in a 4 x 4 tent. The light was designed for a 4 x 4. Perfect for my home cooking.

Price point is 1000 CDN (780 or so USA). I might be very interested in that light. But for now i will stick to the stuff i have.

H

heisen

Do you think the bulb thing is heat related or something? I have run 1 bulb (i only have 1) for 2 grows. It comes on every time and has been ok. A phillips 3k. I find it very interesting that you have found no perceptable difference in trich content or the frost on the bud. I have had such limited grow time it may be I am getting better at the nute thing and timing it for the trichs (and the strains that I have grown were frostier).

There is a new light coming....aint there always. But it is a good one. There is an engineer from blackberry that has designed a CSA and UL approved 450 watt quantum fixture with a potentiometer that will automatically adjust (dim) if the heat gets too hot for the light to function properly in a 4 x 4 tent. The light was designed for a 4 x 4. Perfect for my home cooking.

Price point is 1000 CDN (780 or so USA). I might be very interested in that light. But for now i will stick to the stuff i have.
I think people coming from HPS to cmh are seeing more trichs because of less radiant heat.In smaller grows people keep the lights as close as tolerable so they lose trichs from the radiant heat.
I dont see any difference between the cobs and cmh on trichs.same clones same buckets.ill see more as this progresses

Rcubed

Rcubed

Even when u look at the umol/j chart cobs are well into over 2umol/j.doesnt make sense for me to keep buying bulbs.that bulb was a week old and 100 dollars wadded up and thrown in the trash.
I see absolutely no advantage whatsoever in this comparison so far of bulbs vs led.
The cob scrog is tall from corner to corner,the HPS and cmh have that mound effect with the strongest growth under the bulbs.the outside areas always suffer
Love the comparison. I use CMH and haven't burned one out yet after 3 grows. I haven't used LED yet. What's the lifetime on a decent LED?

H

heisen

Love the comparison. I use CMH and haven't burned one out yet after 3 grows. I haven't used LED yet. What's the lifetime on a decent LED?
Less than a week old
20180606 224605

gwheels

gwheels

For a guy like me it is tough. I love the CMH and i love COBs and when i try the Quantum board i will love that too. After seeing the crystal development between CMH and COB i say the CMH is shinier. Like diamonds in the sun. The cobs are great but i had to use the loupe to see the crystals. If i were to get one light i am still undecided. But I will use them all next round if i have to :D

H

heisen

Here's the real reason I prefer the cobs over the cmh.you can see in the pic the cobs have better growth on the outside of the cobs.the wattage is more evenly distributed.the cmh is good about 2x2 than after that the growth suffers in the shadows.i honestly think it would take 945 watts of cmh ro compete with 700 watts of cob leds.
To make matters worse I had to put the 600 HPS where the cmh burned out twice already,so theres 915 watts vs 700 watts of cobs.i should 5he be cmh replacement by monday.
I like the cmh but I'm still giving the nod to the cobs for pound for pound winner on efficiency and electrical savings to benefits.

20180607 012319

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Since when? My veg room will be finished in 2 weeks to run these bitches wide ass open.27 bucket system under 36 cobs for veg.
Lucked up and got the jbeezy wed cake and purple punch.youll fools holding that photo of the month shit about to get dethroned.View attachment 805541
Watch out for nanners on that WC Jbeezy cut when running it, tends to throw nanners when given high ppms in mid to late flower. Almost done with a run, about 1/6 of the crop was wc(about 55 10 gals in coco). Found that out the hard way, a little nervous for harvest coming up this next week or 2. I have multiple cuts of purple punch (alpha cut, supernova cut, archive's cut) all of them are very similar but a little different on terps. Frostiest and terpiest strain in the stock. But not much of a high. Funny how that works.

Last edited:
stutter

stutter

so just out of curiosity that is 700w of cob LED what is the footprint on that? im currently using CMH but i can see cobs in my future basically like you said the light distribution is so even and not having to buy bulbs is also a big bonus.

that 700w looks like it would fit nicely in my 1.5m x 1.5m tent

H

heisen

so just out of curiosity that is 700w of cob LED what is the footprint on that? im currently using CMH but i can see cobs in my future basically like you said the light distribution is so even and not having to buy bulbs is also a big bonus.

that 700w looks like it would fit nicely in my 1.5m x 1.5m tent
Yes it would.im running a 4x5 open.in a tent with walls to reflect back a 15 cob with 3 250 drivers would be perfect.

Latest posts

Top Bottom