Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Right on SJ! This is getting good. I can't wait to see you growing some solar weed! I like to light my bong hits with a 6 inch magnifying glass when I'm outside. Pure clean smoke with no burnt butane added in. :cool:

Nice! Now that's solar energy.

I'm testing on my trailer first and then on to grow lights possibly as early as this spring. You know I've been dreaming about this for the last two years. So close now.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Good to see you back and happy to hear you're feeling better.

Thanks man. I thought I was losing my mind. The mold toxins were causing me to have these crazy a$$ panic attacks and the feeling I was suffocating. I can still tell there is some in the air from a little sinus congestion. I'm going after all of it with full strength bleach today. Only had generic bathroom cleanser yesterday when I found it.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

If I'm going to use my solar system to run grow lights as early as this spring I had to think of a way to get the price down. It would cost me another $900 minimum to buy enough panels and batteries on top of what I have to run my 1500w inverter. I could probably pull it off with a couple more panels but it would put a major strain on my batteries and dramatically shorten their lifespan. The cheapest way to go would be to buy a smaller 500w-600w 12v inverter for less than $100. At this point I'm running less than 300w of lights and a couple USB fans. I would opt for a little 300w inverter but I think that's cutting it too close and the 500w-600w inverter would still be useful in my trailer once my system has grown to fit my 1500w. When I buy components for my system I always try to look ahead. With the 1500w inverter I was looking a little too far ahead, hehe.

Here's a couple choices with good reviews and both are pure sine wave. COB lights have sensitive circuits that won't be damaged by a pure sine inverter.

600w $99
81G uQpPlnL AC SL1500
71zTPKNf lL AC SL1500

500w $79
71pEF03y8RL AC SL1500
71z2KleKT6L AC SL1500  1

I'm leaning towards the 500w Mighty Max. It's less likely to need any extra panels. Trimming that extra 100w output will make it more efficient and it'll still be big enough to add another 100w COB (...and the USB fans).

If someone were to build a system to run a 300w-400w set of lights on this inverter it would only cost about $1k. That may seem like a lot but it would probably pay for itself in 8-12 months of full-time use. Then they'd get another 2-5yrs+ before the $400 set of batteries needed to be replaced, again, paying for itself in 3-6 months. That's a killer deal. Fair warning, those two batts are 120lbs. So make sure if you're installing them in something portable it can handle the weight.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Still been battling with that illness. ER doctor put me on antibiotics for a sinus infection. Less than 4hrs since the first dose of azythromiacin and my sinus is already beginning to clear.

I have at least several days of sun and good temps starting Monday (a chance of rain Tues). So instead of battling wet and cold I'll finish installing the system on Wed-Thurs. Taking the next few days to rest and recover as the antibiotics work. I need the sleep anyway so I got a clear head.

Will update again, then.

Phylex

Phylex

Still been battling with that illness. ER doctor put me on antibiotics for a sinus infection. Less than 4hrs since the first dose of azythromiacin and my sinus is already beginning to clear.

I have at least several days of sun and good temps starting Monday (a chance of rain Tues). So instead of battling wet and cold I'll finish installing the system on Wed-Thurs. Taking the next few days to rest and recover as the antibiotics work. I need the sleep anyway so I got a clear head.

Will update again, then.
That sounds like a great plan. I hope you start feeling better soon.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Hahaha. Just getting used to the new meds. Got me sleeping all the time. Better than the zero sleep I was getting.

Meeting up with some new friends for dinner tonight. They liked my flowers and want me to grow for them. My cousin gave the greenhouse to another friend who had connects to offload the harvest. He didn't know I've made some connects mysrlf since. About to offload 2.5lbs myself. Would've been 3 but I needed to save some for my regulars.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Hahaha. Just getting used to the new meds. Got me sleeping all the time. Better than the zero sleep I was getting.

Meeting up with some new friends for dinner tonight. They liked my flowers and want me to grow for them. My cousin gave the greenhouse to another friend who had connects to offload the harvest. He didn't know I've made some connects mysrlf since. About to offload 2.5lbs myself. Would've been 3 but I needed to save some for my regulars.
Man! That’s good news! Good on ya brother.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Okay, I want to update you guys but I don't have much more info right now. My buyers blew their transmission coming up from the City (Frisco). As soon as it's repaired they'll be back up to do the deal (fingers crossed). If this buy does go through I'll be using my solar gennny to power grow lights instead of the trailer. I'll pick up a couple new FLA deep cycle batteries for the trailer that can be charged with it's built in AC inverter/charger and can still be charged with a solar genny later. Pretty sure the FLAs should also charge from my truck's alternator without a battery isolator while the 5th wheel is being towed.

Thinking of adding 2 more 100w solar panels and another 100ah 12v battery to the genny. Optimally, it'd be 4 more panels and 2 more batteries but it may be cost prohibitive. Each panel is $110 and ea battery is $180, plus the fuses, power cables, splitters, etc... To add 2 panels and 1 batt would run about $450-$500(US). Twice that, twice the cost. I could also just buy one of those smaller 500w-600w inverters and run it as is (probably the best idea). I still wouldn't have the money for more lights so the extra power generated might be wasted.

So basically, it's all still up in the air... except that I want to use my current solar build to power my grow lights instead of the trailer.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Okay, so today I took my 2wd truck down roads that would make the Ice Road Truckers sh*t themselves. I was basically just driving down an active creek bed with the semblance of once having been a gravel road. Now was a whole lot of slick clay with a sprinkling of gravel to trick you into thinking there were still places with traction. After reaching the bottom of this tar-baby driveway I finally got to see one of the landings I'll possibly be growing on. It was a mess but I could see some real potential. It's South (slightly West) facing on a mountain side, about 40'(13m) deep x 100'(30m) wide, which is absolutely prime grow real estate. They said I could post pics and updates of the grow on here. If this takes off then I just went from 15-20lbs (split 50/50) to 150-200lbs (split 50/50), and they have the connects to get rid of it.

I'll post up pics the next time I'm out there. Ohhh, you guys are gonna drool over this spot. There's seversl other landings of moderate sise too.

What I need to know...

...about flowering time...

The specs on these auto-flower I'm checking out at this breeders site say, Kush XL 60-70 days, AK47 55-60 days, Guerilla Glue 55-65 days, Northern Lights 50-60 days, etc...

I've read that auto-flower specs read flowering time = veg + bloom, but the above times look like flower alone to me.

...about clones...

When cloning from autos do the clones have the same time left before flowering as the mothers or do they start with the clock reset?

I probably have more questions but forgot them at the moment.

Thanks everybody. I'm looking forward to having 3 grows running together on this grow log. I'm gonna be busy.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Wow Junk this is gonna be cool! I hope you have a good water supply nearby. That's gonna be a lot of work. On the autoflower thing I have never popped any but my buddy did a couple years back. From what I understand with autos you want to have a perfect run every time because anything that slows them down will reduce your yeild substantially. My guess is cloning would not re-set the clock so to speak and you would end up with a tiny plany that would hardly yeild. I would think it shouldn't be done but I decided to look it up and here's what I found. Here's a couple quotes and a link.

"One significant limitation is that autoflowering strains of cannabis are quite difficult, though not impossible, to clone successfully. Considering that autoflowering varieties have some massive advantages over traditional strains, such as compact sizes and rapid growth time, this may put many cultivators off from cloning altogether."

"CAN IT BE DONE?
It has been reported that some growers claim to have successfully cloned autoflowering varieties. Cloning an autoflowering plant is indeed possible, but the outcome will surely be suboptimal. If a grower attempts this in order to boost yield, instead of for experimental purposes, they will surely be met with disappointment."

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blo...lone-autoflowering-varieties-of-cannabis-n675

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like it might be best to buy a shitload of fem auto seeds or start with a shitload of regular photoperiod clones. Regular photoperiod should give you bigger returns with fewer plants but you could blanket an area with autos and grow them shorter like soy bean fields. You’ll need to plan how you’re going to provide water and nutrients to them so imo it might be better to go with fewer and larger plants based on your health to make it easier on ya unless you’ve got help. Either way good luck bro and can’t wait to see the fruits.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

When they say 60 day auto they mean from seed. Of course this is a breeder fantasy time limit. Just like any seeds there will be varied results. And autos do not give the high that the name suggests as all of them have a lot of ruderalis in them. But they were originally bred to have outdoor crops earlier than the main crop for an extra early harvest.

Top Bottom