Just a small time grow - many strains

• Thread starter miko
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
miko

miko

On second run and invested the time and money to try to do things right. Decided time to post a journal for a few mentors who have helped me great. God bless those of you. You know who you are!

Build room was an open warehouse space, 12 foot ceilings and perfect space. We built 3 rooms, a work shop w/ nursery cabinet Veg Room and Flower Room.

Yield Goal #3 per light.

Odor control is 2, larger ionizers outside of the room, replace and clean plates monthly. In rooms have many carbon filters and fans as well. Also have 2 Jars of ONA gel outside of the grow. The rooms are very well insulated with a 4inch fan/carbon filter pushing air out of rooms.

Still planning:
- Mother room adjacent to the workshop for added free space in VEG room.
- Upgrade of dual A/C HEAT units for the building this summer.

Some before/after pictures:
Before
Room build
Finished table

Style is perpetual grow with 3-4 weeks between each main table for added harvest time.
Cloning method is honey into Rockwell (dome-less).
Just a small time grow   many strains 2

Media is ProMix soil, amended with guano and worm castings.
Strains are everything from old school skunk to Widow to Vanilla Kush.

Flower Lighting is 7 , 1000 W HPS in main room w/ air cooled magnums. High end Digilume ballasts, controlled by an awesome light controller (a big investment, but well worth it, as timer is built in to the controller). Its called a "powerbox" and requires a 60 AMP breaker or larger. Wouldn't run a room without one.

Lights

Veg Lighting is 2 , 600 W MH in main room w/ air cooled magnums. Generic digital ballast connected to 110.

Nursery & Clone Room:
Large 3 level cabinet - each shelf with its own T-5 light. Plants move from top to bottom shelf as they grow and then get upgraded into Veg room in 2 weeks.

Cabinet

VEG- ROOM:
Dual 600 lights Vented with Raptors. Plants spend 3-4 weeks here before moving to a table in the Flower Room. Built a 4 X 8 plywood table and a few shelves for smaller plants not pictured.

Just a small time grow   many strains 6

Flower ROOM:
7 - 1000W Air Cooled Magnum Hoods
1 - 12' X 5' table, 3-1000 W lights
2 - 8' X 5' table, 2- 1000 W lights

Just a small time grow   many strains 7

More to come - feedback welcome! :)

Supergoo

Supergoo

Nice! looking great, cant wait to see how this turns out.

SG

miko

miko

Day 1- Flower.

Lighting really messes with the camera..

This is my main table (3, 1000W HPS air cooled over a 5 X 12 custom table with casters), overloaded.

D1

Trimmed the shit out of the plants to get a palm tree effect going of screen of green. Shooting for 4 tops each this round.

IMAG2540

miko

miko

Flower Day 3, looks like sex is already showing in many plants, I only see Female so far, hoping I don't see more than a couple males, but could be many as many of these were regular seeds.

This looks female, but correct me if I am wrong.. ?
Aa
Aaa

Plants are settling into their new lights and table and look good.
Canopy looks clean. One small worry is that I am OVER Pruning.. only leaving the tops on almost all of these, but hopefully that is ok.

FD3

miko

miko

And a picture in better light. This one is an AK47 - these and the AFGN are by far the big boys (I hate saying big girls, sorry) of the group. :)

Topping

waayne

waayne

@LegalGrow ,not sure why your stripping those sun leaves off at this stage,and lolli-popping them so hard?
but you are definitely making sure you will have a much reduced yield,those sun leaves are necessary
for photosynthesis........

I'd stop cutting leaves off those ,unless you know how to properly prune you can do far more harm than good....
such as in this case.........

IMO you are definitely over pruning at this stage of development......

miko

miko

@waayne thank you. Was worried that was what I was doing. Is there a rough rule of how much to keep? My goal is to have just 4 fruits on each plant and not 30 small popcorns...

waayne

waayne

I think you have about 4 main branches per plant,best I can see in your pics....
So that is fine,but you need to leave sun leaves on those branches,those leaves are like solar panels soaking up energy,the less surface area you have the less ability they have to absorb par energy from the lights....

lollipopping them would be fine about 1-2 weeks into flower,but not that heavily,this early........
Not much you can do now but leave them alone and let them flower
You can't put back on what you've pruned off,........but I would not take anymore leaves or branches off
those plants.....

There are a myriad of different ways, techniques,and philosophies about pruning and training.
But for me,I tend to be conservative,I tend to leave a lot of leaves,and only prune off weak ,inferior bud sights,or branches.I leave everything else until late in flower,then will remove big fan leaves ,but that's about it.

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

Yo Miko,
Nice setup so far. This one will be fun to watch. Plants look at least healthy and ready to start packing on some bud for you!

I think these guys are right as far as a little overboard on the pruning, those fan leaves are so crucial to plant energy. I once took a clone, used a main line technique on it, then when it only had two fans and two little stems building, one of the fans died. The branch that was fed by the still intact fan was huge compared to the one that got cheated in the beginning.

If you do decide to lolli pop your plants a little early its probably not a huge deal as long as you only focus on the bud sites and not the fans. Clip those bottom buds that eventually wont turn into much but leave all else and you will be happy.

miko

miko

I think you have about 4 main branches per plant,best I can see in your pics....
So that is fine,but you need to leave sun leaves on those branches,those leaves are like solar panels soaking up energy,the less surface area you have the less ability they have to absorb par energy from the lights....

lollipopping them would be fine about 1-2 weeks into flower,but not that heavily,this early........
Not much you can do now but leave them alone and let them flower
You can't put back on what you've pruned off,........but I would not take anymore leaves or branches off
those plants.....

There are a myriad of different ways, techniques,and philosophies about pruning and training.
But for me,I tend to be conservative,I tend to leave a lot of leaves,and only prune off weak ,inferior bud sights,or branches.I leave everything else until late in flower,then will remove big fan leaves ,but that's about it.

Thank you, food for thought for next time. I will leave all fan leaves on next time on the branches I keep. I feel kind of like a dumbshit now, but live and learn, will be interested to see how they perform even with my over pruning... There are 105 / under 3, 1000W. was hoping 1- zip per... but I realize that is way reaching for the stars...
This run is still experimental, testing product, strains, equipment, temps, cloning, etc. But am still hoping a nice product will turn out as well! :)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Hey Ken,

Yeah, I am going to build PVC framed net.
Any suggestions on that would be great!
Ive never made one :) Ive only seen those on here...lol
But there are tons of farmers here that have :)

HouseOfWojo

HouseOfWojo

So pretty Green, what a nice canopy.

Don't be too hard on yourself miko, if you don't learn something during every grow you every do, then you didn't pay close enough attention. I helped a buddy setup his first grow room and one thing I said to him at the end of the day was, "now you start, not finish. You begin with your first round and every round after should be an evolution of the last, you will never start another grow again, instead just continue changing the first forever"

miko

miko

Do you all recommend building a screen trellis, or simply staking them up one by one as needed??

miko

miko

Day 5:

Had to chop 3 Males and put some others in temp quarantine. Otherwise they are still looking great.

Trying to get my no-dome cloning from rock wool working better, but otherwise just have to wait.

Also got a shipment of Sour Grape looking forward to getting started. May start a separate GrowLog for them.

D5

Top Bottom