MALE SELECTION... What are we looking for?

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

OK, please give me a heads up if I am missing a thread; I found nothing in this forum.

What as a grower do you look for in a male keeper?
I realize everyone's goals may vary; I'd like to share mine.

#1 Parent stock.
I look for a male from a known potent strain. I look also for the most stable strain I can find.

#2 Structure
I like to see vigorous side growth. For my style of growing, I prefer bushes with lots of tops.

#3 Trichomes
I think that somewhat goes without saying.

#4 Hollow Stem.
This I have no scientific data to prove; but I heard it from an old pro. Hollow stems in males equate to resin production; solid stems equate to fiber production.

#5 Smell
Ooh that smell. You know it's going to have flavor when the little ones stink up the veg room.

#6 Puberty
The same old pro who gave me the hollow stem tip said that the ones who show sex the latest are the most stable/NOT prone to throw herm offspring. I used this criteria when I picked my wifi x kushdee male for F2s.

Anybody else have any tips? Especially you breeders out there...

N

nightmarecreature

I think you have a pretty good idea. Testing the offspring is the only way.

I don't believe the hollow stem thing but my last keeper female showed hollow stems.

For males I like to choose males who are feminine. By feminine, I mean recessive males. The small males, compared to the big huge fast growing males, late flowering males, they seem to inherit more traits of the mother. They are usually,small,stinky and dank.

C

crocodile og

Not to give too vague an answer but the qualities in the male you are look

C

crocodile og

for are qualities missing from the female.

Eg. High potency low vigour female to vigorous male.

Late female to early male.

Hopefully the offspring will have the good qualities of both parents.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

DJ seems to be like the Yankees; folks love him or hate him. I personally appreciate his hard work documenting and sharing the results of all his work with cannabis, especially in relation to breeding. I spent 3 loooong years planning my venture into pollen; hopefully it pays off. And by that I don't mean I become a famous rich seed vendor; I mean maybe we can find something awesome for the cannabis world. If I come up with ONE strain that makes ONE person's life better, I will consider that success! (the bar is easier to leap when it's set low, haha!).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Altitude, do you feel that how densely the male clusters its flowers together plays a role in female expression of flower development and formation? It's one thing I've been looking for in any males I get and just haven't found.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

In my uneducated experience, I would think for sure that male flower production levels are passed on to offspring. In total volume, density of clusters, etc. I honestly have not ever flowered a male just to see how many flowers are produced. I have always chosen them before I took them to full flower. What a great point; looks like I've been skipping a huge step. Except in my case, yield has never been a deciding factor in keeper selection, unless it was the only variable between two plants.
When I can produce the quality I'm looking for, I will definitely work lines to increase yield- but ONLY if nothing else is compromised, like flavor or potency.

Funny how much more I "knew" about growing cannabis 5 years ago, before I ever joined this forum.

J

Jalisco Kid

I would not stop using a male because it had solid stalks. My best males have had that,an old paki I was blessed to get,along with a hells angel og. My most dominate male I got came from rez's first auction of Strawberry D. There was not one cross I made with him that did not turn out for the better. Males are worth their weight in Gold if they are Studs. JK

zeke

zeke

Progeny testing. Progenytesting. That's the only known way to know what you are trying to determine. Until someone utilizes time travel we are stuck with progeny testing. Time, space and money. No other way to skin that Catfish. If you compost your losers you can recoup a tiny amount of your costs.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I would not stop using a male because it had solid stalks. My best males have had that,an old paki I was blessed to get,along with a hells angel og. My most dominate male I got came from rez's first auction of Strawberry D. There was not one cross I made with him that did not turn out for the better. Males are worth their weight in Gold if they are Studs. JK

Thanks for chiming in, JK! I also believe that is the MALE plant(s) a breeder holds that make him/her successful.
I am looking for advice from experienced selectors, and truly appreciate your input.
PP69 gave me 3 of your Deb's OGseeds (was it Raskal x your bubba-paki?) a few years back. I had high hopes, but i think I screwed up the germination process. That paki sounds pretty special. Hope I can find something in my search; Lord knows I have enough seeds, lol!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Progeny testing. Progenytesting. That's the only known way to know what you are trying to determine. Until someone utilizes time travel we are stuck with progeny testing. Time, space and money. No other way to skin that Catfish. If you compost your losers you can recoup a tiny amount of your costs.
Seems like I may have gotten lucky with DB, my Kushdee male. I selected him out of 5 males, a tiny talent pool to choose from. But so far, his traits have shown well in my crosses. We'll see how the flowers turn out in the next few weeks.

J

Jalisco Kid

I have not heard from him since I moved down,do you know how he is doing? I have about 500 of those seeds down here,also some red congolese x strawbeery d and red confolese x reefs mtf. Been down for a year and still have yet to pop beans. I will tell my ole lady about those seeds,she grew some out with no help and they were pretty good.
Thanks for chiming in, JK! I also believe that is the MALE plant(s) a breeder holds that make him/her successful.
I am looking for advice from experienced selectors, and truly appreciate your input.
PP69 gave me 3 of your Deb's OGseeds (was it Raskal x your bubba-paki?) a few years back. I had high hopes, but i think I screwed up the germination process. That paki sounds pretty special. Hope I can find something in my search; Lord knows I have enough seeds, lol!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Sounds like some amazing stuff to work with. I just germinated 6 Strawberry Diesel seeds for a client; they seem to be healthy plants so far. We cloned them last night, so he can get to flowering. Those little suckers have a really good smell, even in veg.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Altitude, do you feel that how densely the male clusters its flowers together plays a role in female expression of flower development and formation? It's one thing I've been looking for in any males I get and just haven't found.
Very interesting! What about the size of the flowers?
This is a Forum GSC X Ewok male im going to use for F2's and a BX back to GSC also
It seems to have tiny flower sacks so far..They are purlpe like his ewok daddys sacks (tahoe leaner?)..
But these are a lot smaller than daddy sacks..and tighter..so far :)

Ewookiemale
Top Bottom