MALE SELECTION... What are we looking for?

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zeke

zeke

Florel is a product marketed by Monterrey. It's got ethaphon in it. It's marketed to help prevent unwanted fruit on trees. Or in the case of cannabis wanted fruit on trees. It reacts differently with different sorts of plants. With cannabis you spray it on non developed male plants and they will flower as if they were females. Yes, you can produce viable seed. No, I would not smoke the pot or eat the seed of reversed males. Check out the MSDS and draw your own conclusions.

The product isn't to be used until 60 days after application. That's a little close for most flowering times. I would use the seed, how could it not be safe? The flowers I would just use for ms/gc analysis to determine psychoactivity and terpene profile.

Of course none of this malarkey really gives you an accurate representation of how your males progeny will be. A close proximation of what it might throw, nothing more. So really your back to progeny testing. That's the rub.

Last edited:
Mogrow

Mogrow

It's seems in the real world there is no substitute for cubic displacement. I know my prize winning Hereford bull has an unusually large scrotal circumference. That's the actual technical term. His massive scrotal circumference is an indicator of his ability to produce copious amounts of semen, thus increasing the likelihood of successful impregnation.

Does male flower circumference correlate to an increase in potentially viable pollen released? More than likely. Does it correlate to female progeny calyx size? I don't know. I do know a certain male that I have used imparted the trait. The progeny certainly exhibited the massive calyx trait and their progeny...I can't recall if that particular male was decidedly well hung or not.

Anyone develope a technique to accurately assess unopened staminate floral circumference ? My vet just slaps a tape measure around my Bull's scrotum and jots down a number, fairly simple and accurate technique. What would the cannabis equivilant be? Miniature tape measure and jewelers loupe or tiny calipers? Hmmm?
i can relate....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's seems in the real world there is no substitute for cubic displacement. I know my prize winning Hereford bull has an unusually large scrotal circumference. That's the actual technical term. His massive scrotal circumference is an indicator of his ability to produce copious amounts of semen, thus increasing the likelihood of successful impregnation.

Does male flower circumference correlate to an increase in potentially viable pollen released? More than likely. Does it correlate to female progeny calyx size? I don't know. I do know a certain male that I have used imparted the trait. The progeny certainly exhibited the massive calyx trait and their progeny...I can't recall if that particular male was decidedly well hung or not.

Anyone develope a technique to accurately assess unopened staminate floral circumference ? My vet just slaps a tape measure around my Bull's scrotum and jots down a number, fairly simple and accurate technique. What would the cannabis equivilant be? Miniature tape measure and jewelers loupe or tiny calipers? Hmmm?
How about microscopy or close-up/magnified photos, at a set or standard magnification value, with a grid superimposed that would allow both measurements as well as counts?

I'm not sure that we can directly correlate something like male flower circumference to pollen production, though. I mean, yeah, it seems to make sense, but I'm not sure it's as true in the plant world as in the animal simply because I don't know.

215 User

215 User

I like trich's, smell/color and structure...

MB x CW stud

MB x CW stud

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

OK, please give me a heads up if I am missing a thread; I found nothing in this forum.

What as a grower do you look for in a male keeper?
I realize everyone's goals may vary; I'd like to share mine.

#1 Parent stock.
I look for a male from a known potent strain. I look also for the most stable strain I can find.

#2 Structure
I like to see vigorous side growth. For my style of growing, I prefer bushes with lots of tops.

#3 Trichomes
I think that somewhat goes without saying.

#4 Hollow Stem.
This I have no scientific data to prove; but I heard it from an old pro. Hollow stems in males equate to resin production; solid stems equate to fiber production.

#5 Smell
Ooh that smell. You know it's going to have flavor when the little ones stink up the veg room.

#6 Puberty
The same old pro who gave me the hollow stem tip said that the ones who show sex the latest are the most stable/NOT prone to throw herm offspring. I used this criteria when I picked my wifi x kushdee male for F2s.

Anybody else have any tips? Especially you breeders out there...
I don't know how to word it but I'll try ....I'm testing progeny for passive male traits. Im hoping to find out if one of the two males used don't show their traits in offspring and if it works hopefully it will be a good bx stud.
I've read breeders talk about something close to this but it was not intentional

Top Bottom