• Start date
  • Tagged users None

Am i going well for a first timer?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
I

Ikshady

My seedlings are almost dying!! need to know where am i going wrong. please help

Firstly let me make sure that you guys know whom you're dealing with.

I didn't know jack shit about growing plants. Until a month ago i saw the idea of micro growing in a cpu box was quite fascinated and was fed up of paying for weed. and decide to start growing i learn as much as i could from the YouTube guide and reached enough and decide to start. Here's what i have.

I made a wooden box of the size LxHxB 55 cm x 75 cm x 25 cm

currently using

Lights:
Full Spectrum 28W E14 LED Grow Light
and
a normal 40W bulb (the one which emits yellow light, see the pics for reference) because the other grow light is on its way (60w LED red and blue)

Germinated the seeds successfully in paper towel and placed them in a rockwoll in a 2" netpot with some expanded clay balls. After they sprouted. i cut the plastic bottles into half and kept the netpots inside the bottle and closed with tape to get maximum humidity.
I made a nutrient solution with
ratio 2:1:1
ppm 900
Ph 5.5

i added this solution into the bottles in small quantity just so the 1/4th netpots are dipped in each bottle and closed it without letting any air. first 12 hours the seedlings seemed happy. but then over night they started looking dull
when i checked the solution the ph had gone up to 7.6 i figured that this might be due to lack of oxygen as i had closed the bottles..

I removed them out of the bottles and put them in a 4 Liter container with nutrient solution of the same strength earlier.
also installed an air pump into it. just to make sure the roots also get oxygen. For some reason the solution started turning white and the ph went up to 8 this time.

Then i guessed its because of the yellow 40W bulb which was heating up the environment in the box

so i got rid of that light and put the netpots in small containers made from bottles with very little nutrient solution this time i reduced the PPM to 700 just to make sure they get more water than the nutrients with no humidity adjustment.
and immediately drafted this post of help

This is all i have done and this where i am at.. please see the pictures for more reference.

IMAG0098
IMAG0116
IMAG0153
IMAG0154
IMAG0155
IMAG0156
I

Ikshady

Oh! i forgot to mention whats wrong with the seedlings..

they are getting this brown mud like color at the tip of its leaves a slight yellow was also seen

i also forgot to mention i am using vinegar as my Ph down until the one i have ordered arives.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Oh! i forgot to mention whats wrong with the seedlings..

they are getting this brown mud like color at the tip of its leaves a slight yellow was also seen

i also forgot to mention i am using vinegar as my Ph down until the one i have ordered arives.
I think what is going on is you have your net pot too far in the water. Pull it up out and let it dry out some. Or take down the level in your Reservoir.You're going to have to stay on top of it and hand water with a medicine syringe or something until your roots make it out of the rockwool and into the reservoir. You only want the root tips in the water. Looks like they are staying too wet.

Last edited:
dnewsome2

dnewsome2

You need to change your Reservoir water at least once a week and I wouldn't use vinegar. I would use the correct pH Down. Also you need to make sure your temps are not too high it will mess up your roots..

I

Ikshady

I think what is going on is you have your net pot too far in the water. Pull it up out and let it dry out some. Or take down the level in your Reservoir.You're going to have to stay on top of it and hand water with a medicine syringe or something until your roots make it out of the rockwool and into the reservoir. You only want the root tips in the water. Looks like they are staying too wet.
Thanks a lot. I didn't think about that.. doing it right away.. ideal temp of 24-28 C wouldn't have any problem?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Thanks a lot. I didn't think about that.. doing it right away.. ideal temp of 24-28 C wouldn't have any problem?
28c is pretty hot in my opinion. I would try to stay around 25. I'm not a pro Hydroponics honestly. I would post that question and ask the pros.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Those little brown spots in that third pick look like they might just be from the seed shell. The seedlings look good.

I

Ikshady

Those little brown spots in that third pick look like they might just be from the seed shell. The seedlings look good.

That's exactly what I thought with the previous one but that didn't make it through. Just want to make sure I get this one right.. These are just regular seeds I am trying with until I get the method right.. But I surely wanna learn the art to grow.. I wanna make it a hobby.. Here are the pictures of the previous one

But I did let my netpot to dry so that the roots grow this time.. Hopefully this should be it.. And also placed it very close to the ligh.

IMAG0157
IMAG0158
IMAG0159
dnewsome2

dnewsome2

That was one of the first mistakes I ever made when doing Hydroponics I kept it too soggy wet. I actually had a small set up for the first time just like yours. I think they call it the kraty method. It works but I kind of gave up on it I got tired of the water changes and cleaning. Then if anything goes wrong it seems to go downhill quick. Then I went to thinking I should add bubblers for more oxygen. It works don't get me wrong but I found there are easier ways.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

That's exactly what I thought with the previous one but that didn't make it through. Just want to make sure I get this one right.. These are just regular seeds I am trying with until I get the method right.. But I surely wanna learn the art to grow.. I wanna make it a hobby.. Here are the pictures of the previous one

But I did let my netpot to dry so that the roots grow this time.. Hopefully this should be it.. And also placed it very close to the ligh.
I like to use coconut coir with perlite And hand water a ph balanced hydroponic solution. You should try it with a plant you will probably love it. It's basically like growing in Hydroponics. Here's a link if you want to check it out.

v12xjs

v12xjs

There's a few things I would change if I was you.

Unless you plan on keeping the door open on that cab I would make holes for an intake and exhaust. Without constant fresh air your plants will die.
Same for sealing in those seedlings with tape to retain humidity. Humidity is good but fresh air is vital, so maybe leave a couple of gaps around the bottom to allow some air movement while maintaining high humidity at the top of the dome.

That rockwool cube also looks like has disintegrated, probably because it is sat in water. The net pot should only just be touching the water so that a blotting or wicking action through the clay delivers moisture to the rockwool and the seedling.

Giving a seedling 900ppm is like giving a new born baby 5 Thanksgiving dinners at once, you didn't read that on the label of those nutes. The plant hasn't even developed true cannabis leaves yet!
Stick to plain water until you see signs that it is beginning to feed and then start at 250-300ppm.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

V12 xjs is correct you need good airflow with no hot pocket on the top there. Easy on the nutrients. Also you need to get your lighting fixed up. From what I can see in that picture the light that you are using you should put that 12 inches or so DIRECTLY ABOVE THE PLANT. Otherwise you are going to cause it to lean and stretch. You're going to have to upgrade to some more powerful light soon.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Don't feed until the first two round leaves (cotyledons) shrivel up and die, water only for the first month or so, no need to pH water for seedlings.

I

Ikshady

Unless you plan on keeping the door open on that cab I would make holes for an intake and exhaust. Without constant fresh air your plants will die.
Same for sealing in those seedlings with tape to retain humidity. Humidity is good but fresh air is vital, so maybe leave a couple of gaps around the bottom to allow some air movement while maintaining high humidity at the top of the dome.

Well the picture of the box was taken before I finished it.. As you can see in the 2nd picture itself I have installed a fan there is a fan on the each side of the box at different height. And there are holes at the top of the box for the hot air to go out from the heat of the lights.. Here's another picture

IMAG0116
tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Don't feed until the first two round leaves (cotyledons) shrivel up and die, water only for the first month or so, no need to pH water for seedlings.

so now u telling people don't feed or ph for the first month what theses poor people ever do to you?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Well the picture of the box was taken before I finished it.. As you can see in the 2nd picture itself I have installed a fan there is a fan on the each side of the box at different height. And there are holes at the top of the box for the hot air to go out from the heat of the lights.. Here's another picture
How are the babies looking today?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
so now u telling people don't feed or ph for the first month what theses poor people ever do to you?
Lol, I never feed or pH my water until they drop the cotyledons and I grow in coco and my seedlings always look happy, all these people with early deficiencies are feeding too early....

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Lol, I never feed or pH my water until they drop the cotyledons and I grow in coco and my seedlings always look happy, all these people with early deficiencies are feeding too early....

so u saying people have def because they gave there plants food so aka they hungry bc u gave them food ?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
so u saying people have def because they gave there plants food so aka they hungry bc u gave them food ?
No, feeding them before the cotyledons die off creates toxicity in the young roots and locks out certain nutrients, showing up as a deficiency on the leaves.

Trust me, if you give your plant straight tap water that has sat out for a day to remove chlorine, in a cup of coco until the first little round green leaves shrivel up and turn brown, they will be as happy as they have ever been.

If you don't believe me try one seed out and see, it will start to turn a little lighter green after the cotyledons die and then you start feeding at 1/2 strength.

Top Bottom