Security Cam Recommendation

• Thread starter GrowBros
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowBros

GrowBros

I recently purchased the Amcrest 4CH 960H Video Security System and I would strongly recommend it to any growers looking for a reasonably priced cam setup. Its 260 on Amazon which is a great deal and would compare to a 500-600 dollar systems. Its easy to use and set up and has an app to watch video from your phone. Just wanted to pass along this knowledge.

GrowBros

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

sending back the ip camera and getting the one originally posted here
Small price for peace of mind...

DismalDude

DismalDude

I have an 8 camera Zmodo DVR system that I've been using for 3 years now.It has been pretty efficient for home security but I took the camera I had in my tent out for fear that the infrared would cause hermies.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I just recommend the wifi thermostat and fire alarms to a buddy... he loves nest but im not sure if they do outdoor cams.... i guess depends on where you want it.
Amazon is selling a protective case for outdoor use, but I think they are intended primarily for indoor use.

Cort

Cort

I have no exp putting these up near a grow and I suspect the girls will react to the IR light they emit, but....

If you have an IR camera like most are now days, the camera is surrounded by IR LED lights to illuminate the area. These have a limited range. You can buy and install simple plug in IR lights to light up an area further from the camera than the lights that came built into the camera.

This is helpful to extend the range of viability at night from 60+/- to far away. IR does wash out features, like faces over distance though. Careful placement covering places like driveways or choke points is a huge benefit.

See examples of IR illumination here here

akstoner

akstoner

Costco/Sams club have pretty good cameras for security for reasonable prices and you can get up to 12 cameras....... Also Lowes/Home Depot/Fred Meyers/Walmart? all these stores have descent priced security cameras. Hope this helps......

M

medlife

get a logi
the circle one they give you one day of site recording free so if they do brake in they cant just take your dvr and you clue less of who

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
get a logi
the circle one they give you one day of site recording free so if they do brake in they cant just take your dvr and you clue less of who
Thats a good point... gotta hide the hard drive well or cameras are pointless

Olyver

Olyver

ARLO.com from NETGEAR works very well, have installed them in several ACMPRs and the owners luv the features.

Dr.Boots

Dr.Boots

I'm a security installer, designer, and consultant working out of CO; I've created systems for the largest grows this country has ever seen (30K+ plant counts), and for home grows with only 4 plants. I've worked with all kinds of surveillance tech, from enterprise level on down; perimeter and surveillance systems are my wheelhouse. I was trained to work in this area back in the early 90's by the Department of Justice, when I was installing commercial security systems.

A quick note for anyone looking through this thread-- most posters here are looking at 960H video systems. You should know that these are woefully inadequate for today's needs, and that state of the art is well beyond that, with HD-TVI DVRs recording at 1080p, and cloud storage options on entry level hardware. That 960H image is 960x480 pixels, which was awesome in 2009, but a joke today. If you already have a 960H DVR and lots of cams, an upgrade can cost, but if you buy a new NVR or an HD-TVI DVR, you can record at 1080p (or better) all day long, as long as you have the HD for it. Most of the consumer level combo systems you see are simply trash-- the software is always a joke, no upgrade path, no support, no assurance of security. A decent consumer level system would be from Lorex, which is made by FLIR, who also manufacture Speco, which I would recommend as a prosumer level DVR. Their VT series is HD-TVI, records at 1080p, and has a cloud option that runs on Google drive, and is reliable and simple to use. This solves the problem of thieves stealing hardware, and no need for a hidden HD. Google drive is bombproof, free to start and cheap to upgrade to 1 TB at 10$ monthly, and you have access to your files at all times, as well as those on the local HD in the DVR.

I do not recommend any home camera systems, as these are not appropriate or compliant for a secured commercial facility; I might consider using some of those models in a home grow in a limited way. My home system is a Hikvision NVR with 8 x 3 MP IP cameras running continuously at 2048 x 1536 resolution, which gives me a bit less than two weeks on the 4 TB HD. The level of detail in the video is ridiculous.

Top Bottom