Sixstrings Led Cob Builds

• Thread starter sixstring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MW7945

MW7945

So I got a question. Have you used both reflectors and glass lenses?

Which do you prefer? Tbh I can't see the need/want for the glass lens at any angle. It cuts down your coverage area so much while barely boosting PAR values

sixstring

sixstring

So I got a question. Have you used both reflectors and glass lenses?

Which do you prefer? Tbh I can't see the need/want for the glass lens at any angle. It cuts down your coverage area so much while barely boosting PAR values
i have not used glass lenses at all.i use a few reflectors,angenlinas on the lower power bars where i have to keep them higher than i would like.it helps push the light down towards those plants instead of spreading.but still i read you lose around 7% using good reflectors and only gain a lil bit in downward light.some guys like having glass over the cobs for spraying,but i have done many foliars under my setups,ya just need to use caution to keep from spraying the lights

MW7945

MW7945

how bad would a sheet of plexiglass cut back on light intensity? I can't imagine it'd be all that much?

sixstring

sixstring

how bad would a sheet of plexiglass cut back on light intensity? I can't imagine it'd be all that much?
oh i think it would be bad,like more than 10% maybe even 20%.the expensive glass lenses are made of silicon for a reason and why they cost so much. plexi would prob get damaged by the cobs heat ect. and get hazey pretty fast

SteadyDoesIt

SteadyDoesIt

oh i think it would be bad,like more than 10% maybe even 20%.the expensive glass lenses are made of silicon for a reason and why they cost so much. plexi would prob get damaged by the cobs heat ect. and get hazey pretty fast
Awww hell ya I found you man! I'm chilling over here now. Subbed

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

i have not used glass lenses at all.i use a few reflectors,angenlinas on the lower power bars where i have to keep them higher than i would like.it helps push the light down towards those plants instead of spreading.but still i read you lose around 7% using good reflectors and only gain a lil bit in downward light.some guys like having glass over the cobs for spraying,but i have done many foliars under my setups,ya just need to use caution to keep from spraying the lights

Wow, I had no idea reflectors would compromise output in such a way. Do you remember where you read that? I may be taking some angelinas off soon if this is the case.

sixstring

sixstring

Im not sure who did the tests might of been a few different people.maybe Johnson grow lights or northern/hlg or maybe even chilled did some sphere tests with and without.but yeah its pretty much a wash if you use them.taller plants like ours would benefit from reflectors if using lower powered cobs to help put light downwards instead of the good spread ya get from bare cobs.in a tent with short plants i would say always use bare cobs

Harley09

Harley09

Well I've gone and done it I just ordered the parts for my DIY COB build
I got 2 ea HLG-320H-C1400B DRIVERS
4 ea BXRC-40E10K0-D-73SE
8 ea BXRC-35G10K0-D-72-SE
12 140mm heat sinks
100' of 18ga thhn wire
multimeter displays
I hope to be building soon

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Well I've gone and done it I just ordered the parts for my DIY COB build
I got 2 ea HLG-320H-C1400B DRIVERS
4 ea BXRC-40E10K0-D-73SE
8 ea BXRC-35G10K0-D-72-SE
12 140mm heat sinks
100' of 18ga thhn wire
multimeter displays
I hope to be building soon

I can honestly tell you that these COB systems are fairly easy to put together as long as you get the + and - correct in your wiring.

Harley09

Harley09

I can honestly tell you that these COB systems are fairly easy to put together as long as you get the + and - correct in your wiring.
I appreciate the thought H4ppy. I have done some electronic work. My background is mostly industrial as an electronics technician for more than 40 years. My biggest concern is the lighting layout. I am going to incorporate my SS400's with the COBs and I'm trying to even out the lighting so as not to have any hot spots. Some of the lights may nee to be closer than 1' apart. May have to do some experimentation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom