What Light Should I Use?

• Thread starter Omerta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Omerta

Omerta

Where did you dig it up? What part of the country are you in? Looks similar to broad leaf parsley. Does the crushed leaf smell like anything?

It is slightly aromatic... a slight menthol but when crushed very strong menthol.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I'm not really to sure on the ID, although I did try to upload your picture to several IDs. I would be nervous about digging some species up that you aren't sure of however. Two in particular that you never want to get near are giant hogweed and wild parsnip. Both cause extremely nasty burns on your skin even with minimal contact from what I hear. Neither appear to be what you have though so you are safe. Both IDs that I used said it was giant hogweed but I dont think it looks the same at all. Stumped me though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

When I first started growing I had some flourescent shop lights I threw in to supplement my plants. The branches that were only getting light from the flourescents started to herm. I could be wrong but as soon as I pulled them out they stopped producing seeds on those branches. It may have been due to light depravation not getting enough light, but yeah.

No. The spectrum itself does not cause reversal. I have changed back to blue with more uv to finish and even changed all the lights in the flower room mid cycle to try new stuff.

And if you saw seeds there were already male flowers weeks before.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don’t agree.. but I’m open minded. Genetics play the biggest part as far as herm tendencies.. next would be light leaks/light schedule f&@k ups IMO. I know guys who use 10000k finishing bulbs for last week or two.. never tried that, but I love some blue in my flower and am considering a 6500k for finishing and 5000k during stretch. I run mh/hps/ghetto led/Cfls. If there s evidence to back what your saying I’m sure open to read it. Post it up. Haven’t had any herms since I stopped growing bag seed years ago, but I’m always down to take extra precautions.

I think nutrient stress is the biggest cause of reversal. Of course any stressors can do it with the right plant and conditions.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I think nutrient stress is the biggest cause of reversal. Of course any stressors can do it with the right plant and conditions.
Ya we could go back and forth on what makes plants herm the most as far as user error but honestly I’ve messed up and even tortured on purpose the strains I run now and can’t get a herm. And I’ve grown out trash genetics I treated like children and seen all kind a shit. I don’t trust feminized generally but who knows.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I have a 125w CFL grow light that's in use 24/7. my plant is 5 weeks and a day old. I topped and took clones yesterday. According to others it looks healthy, but I'm wondering when I should put in my t5 4x4' light. And I have either blue or red t5s and when should plug those in.
For my clones i have a CFL 23w 5000k bulb and a 19w 5000k 24in led strip light.
I have 2 x 4' 54w 5000k duel led shop lights. When should I put them in the mix?

-I seek the wisdom and knowledge of those who have it, for I do not-
Omerta
So the title is what light should I use.. just curious if you were looking for recommendations or just advice on what you are always using.
I’d recommend a 315 w ceramic metal halide or a decent cob or qb led unit if your looking to spend a bit o cash. If not find a dirty ol metal halide or high pressure sodium yard light/ industrial building light. You can get em free if you make a fast getaway lol. Floros are still valid option for veg for sure tho :cool:

Omerta

Omerta

So the title is what light should I use.. just curious if you were looking for recommendations or just advice on what you are always using.
I’d recommend a 315 w ceramic metal halide or a decent cob or qb led unit if your looking to spend a bit o cash. If not find a dirty ol metal halide or high pressure sodium yard light/ industrial building light. You can get em free if you make a fast getaway lol. Floros are still valid option for veg for sure tho :cool:

Thanks for asking... I am looking to use what i have. I cant afford to buy different lights right now. With what I have described what may be a good config In my 4x4x7?

Omerta

Omerta

2 54w 3500k T5 bulbs and a T5 54w 4x4' so 216w... a 125w CFL grow light
2 x 250w 5000k 4' led shop lights. And a 24" 19w (I think) LED strip light also in 5000k. which ones when or all 100% full bore...
"I'm given you all she's got Capt!" Lol

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Haha right on. Just FYI there is such a thing as too much light. Generally folks shoot for round 50 watts per square foot of your grow space. So if I’m in a 3x3 and running 600 actual watts that’s 66 and a half wpsf. Probably to much, but I put that 600 watts in a 4x4 space and I’m near 40 wpsf and good to go

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I’m thinking with led watts you’d want less than 50 watts per sq ft for sure but I’m no expert with em. But maybe factor in their efficiency.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
No. The spectrum itself does not cause reversal. I have changed back to blue with more uv to finish and even changed all the lights in the flower room mid cycle to try new stuff.

And if you saw seeds there were already male flowers weeks before.

Yeah like I said I could be wrong.. But they didnt show up until a couple weeks after I hung them, and they stopped when I removed them. Ever since, I've just used HPS and red spectrum for flowering and haven't had any problems. I suppose there could have been another factor there that I missed, but that was the conclusion I drew from the matter.

edit - also I should explain the circumstances a little better - I was using the shop lights for lower branches that were not getting any light, before I learned about lollipopping, etc. So, they were only getting blue light. They went from producing buds to producing seeds. So, I took them out, and the seeds stopped. Though, they didn't produce much for flowers either. So essentially they went from no light, to blue light, back to no light. Could have just been light depravation, IDK. I do know I haven't had a single seed since I stopped using crappy lights. :D

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah like I said I could be wrong.. But they didnt show up until a couple weeks after I hung them, and they stopped when I removed them. Ever since, I've just used HPS and red spectrum for flowering and haven't had any problems. I suppose there could have been another factor there that I missed, but that was the conclusion I drew from the matter.

edit - also I should explain the circumstances a little better - I was using the shop lights for lower branches that were not getting any light, before I learned about lollipopping, etc. So, they were only getting blue light. They went from producing buds to producing seeds. So, I took them out, and the seeds stopped. Though, they didn't produce much for flowers either. So essentially they went from no light, to blue light, back to no light. Could have just been light depravation, IDK. I do know I haven't had a single seed since I stopped using crappy lights. :D

I could be wrong in your situation. You saw what happened.

I will say if the plants were stressed or sensitive to it any changes could cause some reversal.

But fluorescent tubes put out an almost balanced sunlight spectrum even at 6500k. It’s not all blue.

Top Bottom