1,000,000 gallon pond, water cooled AC?

• Thread starter mrdizzle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrdizzle

I am looking at a property that has a 1 million gallon pond on it, with a nice house and a 40ftx60ft pole barn in it.

Im not trying to run water cooled lights just a water cooled AC handler

My question is, how do people use water from bodies of water to cool and AC

how do I pump water from the pond to the AC without getting shit all up in it. would I need to make a holding tank that I can refill when needed?

seems like a great way to save some bucks on AC

thanks for any info

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
The basics are this....

You don't use the pond water. You have a closed water system that circulates water in pipes that are in the grow room that absorb heat then that water goes out into the pond and circulates through pipes (or copper/plastic tubing) where the pond water cools off the water in the tubes and then it circulates back to the pipes in the grow area.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Interesting.. How deep to coils have to run.. or how big of a body of water do you need to runs such pump.. would running streams work aswell? How much money would you save versus using electric co. Sorry for all the questions..lol

K

kmk4eva

i would think you would want them on the bottom where the coldest water is maybe make your coil tie on weights have your in and out tubes and let that baby sink to the bottom

M

mrdizzle

great info guys

this can be a DIY job right? I just need a big pump and lots of pvc?

A

antimatter

I don't know where you live but I have a feeling it won't work to well in the spring/summer but for when its cold out $$$, you would be better off finding a place with nice ice cold mountain creek but that will dry up in august most likely. Ive heard of local guys around me running micro hydroelectric dams on creeks and powering 30+kw grows, pretty cool stuff but a bit beyond my diy capabilities.

Good Luck MR.DIZZLE I hope you find your cold mountain waters to do what your proposing because I think it would work very well with the right body of water.

This is what your trying to do but on a much larger scale to give you a visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX27Zr3j06I

M

mrdizzle

thats pretty sick, I love how youtube gets UG updates before the UG website.

Im wondering if it still might work in the summer depending on the temp of the water in the pond, its basically 2 olympic size swimming pools, the pool in that video is approx 5,000gal

M

mrdizzle

I also found out the pond is 14ft deep and there is also a well on the property will 2 350gal holding tanks

I remember that watercooled was running a 12lighter will well water

N

noone88

That's what you're looking for.

Since you have a pond and not a swimming pool, I would hook the heatexchanger to a 100' stainless steel wort chiller and drop that thing into the pond. You'll need pumps to control the water flow from the heat exchanger to the wort chiller.

You'll see in an increase in humidity using this type of chilling method.

N

noone88

I also found out the pond is 14ft deep and there is also a well on the property will 2 350gal holding tanks

I remember that watercooled was running a 12lighter will well water

Use the 350 gallon holding tanks. Get some bulkheads and link the 2 holding tanks together.

A

antimatter

thats pretty sick, I love how youtube gets UG updates before the UG website.

Im wondering if it still might work in the summer depending on the temp of the water in the pond, its basically 2 olympic size swimming pools, the pool in that video is approx 5,000gal

Depends on what temperature the pond gets, we have all swam in lakes and rivers that were almost warm during the summer, seems like buying a place with 2x200 amp services would be a better option. What if the pond drys up one year? thats a problem

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
my brother dug a 1/2 acer or 3/4s i forget pond 25 feet deep. our temps have been very high since mid June. i jumped in it the other day. the water up top was warm but at my feet it was nice and cool. so im thinking 14 feet down should be pretty cool.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I am looking at a property that has a 1 million gallon pond on it, with a nice house and a 40ftx60ft pole barn in it.

Im not trying to run water cooled lights just a water cooled AC handler

My question is, how do people use water from bodies of water to cool and AC

how do I pump water from the pond to the AC without getting shit all up in it. would I need to make a holding tank that I can refill when needed?

seems like a great way to save some bucks on AC

thanks for any info

There a lot of ways to do that. Some a/c manufactures make units that have water cooled condensers not chilled water air handlers. Check out Kwikool for example.
If you were to do something like this I would use a closed loop with another heat exchanger for pond water. If you put enough strainers in your incoming water from pond u could keep the heat exchanger fairly clean. Plate heat exchangers are the most efficent for this job but are somewhat expensive and depending on the type can be difficult to clean. Shell and tube heat exchangers are easier to clean if you run pond water thru tubes and a/c water around tubes. Either way I think it may be above a DIY job. Also geothermal heat pumps require a large amt of piping buried fairly deep. Definitely not a DIY. PM me and we can talk.

C

cheyenne

I don't know where you live but I have a feeling it won't work to well in the spring/summer but for when its cold out $$$, you would be better off finding a place with nice ice cold mountain creek but that will dry up in august most likely. Ive heard of local guys around me running micro hydroelectric dams on creeks and powering 30+kw grows, pretty cool stuff but a bit beyond my diy capabilities.

Good Luck MR.DIZZLE I hope you find your cold mountain waters to do what your proposing because I think it would work very well with the right body of water.

This is what your trying to do but on a much larger scale to give you a visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX27Zr3j06I

30Kw off a micro hydro? me thinks no. ive got friends in so. oregon with a super sweet micro hydro system using an overshot wheel and 6 feet of head (drop) that pushes a max of 1Kw/hr....i'd sure like to see one get 30. On that note, it is a great idea for supplemental power. even a good spring with decent flow piped into a pelton wheel system could give you some pretty decent power.....just not 30Kw....i guess i could and may be wrong, but my experience says no.....

A

antimatter

There a lot of ways to do that. Some a/c manufactures make units that have water cooled condensers not chilled water air handlers. Check out Kwikool for example.

Those do look nice but very expensive

30Kw off a micro hydro? me thinks no. ive got friends in so. oregon with a super sweet micro hydro system using an overshot wheel and 6 feet of head (drop) that pushes a max of 1Kw/hr....i'd sure like to see one get 30. On that note, it is a great idea for supplemental power. even a good spring with decent flow piped into a pelton wheel system could give you some pretty decent power.....just not 30Kw....i guess i could and may be wrong, but my experience says no.....

Some of the micro hydro setups don't mess around with 50-100 foot drops with insanely fast moving mountain creek water, whether or not they can produce that much power with just 1 setup im not sure maybe they have multiple, which wouldn't surprise me.

C

cheyenne

Those do look nice but very expensive

Some of the micro hydro setups don't mess around with 50-100 foot drops with insanely fast moving mountain creek water, whether or not they can produce that much power with just 1 setup im not sure maybe they have multiple, which wouldn't surprise me.

If they are running that much head (50-100') they are fo sho using a pelton wheel, which alone def wont push that much juice. even doing reductions from 12" down to 4". Sorry for my scepticism. my friends are in an off grid area high up in the south oregon cascades. all their neighbors have micro hydro as well and their peltons dont put out squat with way more head (aches) then you described. not sayin your BSn, probably misinformed.
micro hydro is something im really into and those numbers just dont jive. Im not sure if 30+kw is still considered "micro" ......thats a BUNCH of juice to make and if it were that easy....well everyone would be doing it. Id sure like to see it though!
Bowing out now......peace

oh and sorry to hijak yer thread bro

A

antimatter

Im not really sure what your meaning by drop now, im going by the micro hydro systems along creeks that ive seen personally, theres concrete poured across say 40' wide creek rushing white like niagara falls and then 50-100 drop/waterfall but where the actual turbine and generator is could be 100s of feet down the creek. Ive never personally seen these 30kw micro hydro systems just heard about people running them. could be a misunderstanding somewhere down the line.

/mrdizzle thread hijack #324837490237492384729374 :icon_cookie:

edit: oh shit one of the micro systems I was thinking of I just read online here it was for 180kw aha ok with that mind I now have no doubt in my mind that its possible.

C

cheyenne

Damn i stand corrected!....those are pushing....not micro anymore though! thats some serious juice! Woerd!

edit. by drop i mean head, which alot of folks dont understand, so i said drop eg, how far the water falls.

M

MisterAvocado

That's what you're looking for.

You'll see in an increase in humidity using this type of chilling method.

Can you please explain why humidity would increase from using a chiller like this?

Top Bottom