10 Year Grower Still Can't Clone :(

• Thread starter 5ecret 5quirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
i was looking at this, seems like an easy enough build, but i saw lots of mixed reviews, are you running this? does temp and rh play a role when using this rig? and maybe you didn't read my above post about not being willing to buy anything that what i got right now, which are in the pics.

Hey so yeah there's mixed opinions on hydroponics cloners. There are a few differences when cloning with them. Usually you want your cuttings a little bigger with more "nodes" available as these nodes actually produce the hormones required for rooting. So as a general rule the bigger, better the cutting the better, or faster, the roots will develop in these types of cloners.

But in your case you don't have many options available to you. It looks like you're doing everything right. Cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to cloning. Just make sure you thoroughly wash and sanitize every piece of equipment involved, including your hands.

Not being able to check on them but every 3 days makes life harder. Others have said to ditch the dome, I tend to agree except if you're gone for 3 days at a time that could be all the time it takes for something to go wrong. I would suggest, if you don't have any vent holes in that dome, try putting 2 very small ones in it at first, see if that helps. Perhaps make a vent that you can control, so the dome isn't a totally closed environment ripe for bacteria growth, while at the same time not drying out.

Very simply I can get clones to root out in less than 5 days from cutting, but it requires all new materials. Brand new dome/tray, brand new pack of Root Riot or Jiffy cubes, Clonex, water, and a nice LED parked right above the dome. Expensive but worth it to make 100 clones in less than a week. The only time I have issues with fungus like that is when I am in a rush and don't properly wash my equipment before taking cuttings. You will notice 99% of the time that fungus appears right where you held it to cut it off the plant. Don't forget to wash under your fingernails, as this is where fungus loves to live . Or wear clean gloves. Preferably both.

A clone dome is essentially a petri dish. At those temperatures and humidity levels, bacteria and fungi can live and multiply very quickly. Perhaps even wear a mask to make sure you're not contaminating anything.

What I do if I do spot fusarium fungus, simply take away it's food source i.e. remove the dome for a day and that usually does it. You can try h202 solution and cotton swab to manually clean it off, as well.

This has never been a very common problem for me but I do see it once in a great while. If I were you I would try to come up with something besides using a dome/closed environment. Is there absolutely no way to check up on them more often? Or maybe move them to a place where you can see them every day?? Good luck bud!

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

Hey so yeah there's mixed opinions on hydroponics cloners. There are a few differences when cloning with them. Usually you want your cuttings a little bigger with more "nodes" available as these nodes actually produce the hormones required for rooting. So as a general rule the bigger, better the cutting the better, or faster, the roots will develop in these types of cloners.

But in your case you don't have many options available to you. It looks like you're doing everything right. Cleanliness is next to godliness when it comes to cloning. Just make sure you thoroughly wash and sanitize every piece of equipment involved, including your hands.

Not being able to check on them but every 3 days makes life harder. Others have said to ditch the dome, I tend to agree except if you're gone for 3 days at a time that could be all the time it takes for something to go wrong. I would suggest, if you don't have any vent holes in that dome, try putting 2 very small ones in it at first, see if that helps. Perhaps make a vent that you can control, so the dome isn't a totally closed environment ripe for bacteria growth, while at the same time not drying out.

Very simply I can get clones to root out in less than 5 days from cutting, but it requires all new materials. Brand new dome/tray, brand new pack of Root Riot or Jiffy cubes, Clonex, water, and a nice LED parked right above the dome. Expensive but worth it to make 100 clones in less than a week. The only time I have issues with fungus like that is when I am in a rush and don't properly wash my equipment before taking cuttings. You will notice 99% of the time that fungus appears right where you held it to cut it off the plant. Don't forget to wash under your fingernails, as this is where fungus loves to live . Or wear clean gloves. Preferably both.

A clone dome is essentially a petri dish. At those temperatures and humidity levels, bacteria and fungi can live and multiply very quickly. Perhaps even wear a mask to make sure you're not contaminating anything.

What I do if I do spot fusarium fungus, simply take away it's food source i.e. remove the dome for a day and that usually does it. You can try h202 solution and cotton swab to manually clean it off, as well.

This has never been a very common problem for me but I do see it once in a great while. If I were you I would try to come up with something besides using a dome/closed environment. Is there absolutely no way to check up on them more often? Or maybe move them to a place where you can see them every day?? Good luck bud!
thanks for dropping some knowledge

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

I have never used a dome and would never consider using one ,there’s one thing you should try is after making your final cut is place them in cup of water in complete darkness for min 12 hrs i usually do 24 hrs ,very seldom loose any clones ,30 plus years
interesting, why the darkness?

NGA

NGA

Give it a try ,I’m not God so can’t really say ,Only guess,I only know it helps ,I think a lot of people create there own problems,using domes ,trimming leafs,spraying,and the list goes on & on keep it simple leave them alone

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

i'll try it out, but i feel like that might be strain dependent. i'm running true og and she's always been really picky when it comes to cloning her.
I have a mother of that strain (or at least similar) one in flower and few clones comin. I haven’t found it any worst to clone than other strains I got goin. That being said I personally suck at cloning, but I’ve learned the following. go ahead and get the best gel you can find cause why not. Next NO nutes. Don’t give mother tons of nutes before cloning. Don’t use too much light. Tap water is working best for me also. I’ve been cloning into solos full o promix. No dome. Good luck bud.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i'm the same way, but getting good genetics to my neck of the woods is a hassel, i had 3 but one got sick due to whitefly, now i'm left with diesel and true og
same here,i make my own seeds to avoid all the rif raf myself,price of seeds has gone up 10 fold since i started the game,i aint paying 100 bucks for 5 seeds no freaking way,so i make my own,and it is addicting as hell,lol

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

I just upgraded my nursery today. This old one has been working pretty good so same concept. I was using soil but now starting in peat pucks (thanks Dirtbag). Plastic cake box, plastic rods for support and plastic wrap to enclose. My first time so bares with me if something is jacked up...

20190224 191703
20190307 140054
20190307 140026
20190307 140129
Srenots

Srenots

been using a dome for long time...keep the inside misted with water (couple times a day) and vents just barely cracked open on the top, with a 4 ft 4 bulb T8's mixed spectrum (dropped right down to dome as close as you can without touching it), 75 degrees, and works great. Only time ever had a problem is in the winter when it gets down below 60 and they take forever to root, then use a heat mat fixes that ...posted this other day in another thread but here you go bro

Clonescpbmgg4102917

Fluros22017

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Low Humidity to root clones ?
When I said lower humidity, I meant less than 100% rh, which can cause rot fairly easily. Unless things are bone dry, I have never had any problems rooting cuttings in Rh of 30%. Cutting off the leaves isn't necessary either, IMHO, but everyone has their own way of doing things. Your results may vary.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
i think your right, but it's too cold in the room . . . it's been getting warmer though not ideal for cloning yet. F#&$ how do i warm up these clones without having to heat the whole room.
Try sitting them on top of electronic equipment, like a DVD player or something that stays a little warm. I usually get seeds to sprout overnight if I keep them on top of the DirecTV box.

bullfrog

bullfrog

been using a dome for long time...keep the inside misted with water (couple times a day) and vents just barely cracked open on the top, with a 4 ft 4 bulb T8's mixed spectrum (dropped right down to dome as close as you can without touching it), 75 degrees, and works great. Only time ever had a problem is in the winter when it gets down below 60 and they take forever to root, then use a heat mat fixes that ...posted this other day in another thread but here you go bro

View attachment 860272

View attachment 860273
Just curious what your ph is? I used a dome recently and it worked until three days in they were taking forever and so I put them on a mat and they "damped off" almost immediately and I lost the whole bunch. I have had this happen twice already yet and I've been trying different things; I was misting the cocoa blocks at different variables, paper towel bits around the base, using a bit of sheet instead of the plastic cover, but I'm damping off at different times. I'm building a pallet box for this and I'm thinking of laying some sponges with in off-flow in a dome with some hole at either end with some small fans to push/pull air through it (another thread will have the details).

Last edited:
bullfrog

bullfrog

Try sitting them on top of electronic equipment, like a DVD player or something that stays a little warm. I usually get seeds to sprout overnight if I keep them on top of the DirecTV box.
Just make sure they don't get too warm as mine have done.

dcgolfer

dcgolfer

When I said lower humidity, I meant less than 100% rh, which can cause rot fairly easily. Unless things are bone dry, I have never had any problems rooting cuttings in Rh of 30%. Cutting off the leaves isn't necessary either, IMHO, but everyone has their own way of doing things. Your results may vary.

I've kept it between 75-80 for the most, spikes up when I mist but then settles back to 80ish. How long can I keep them in here? I am 30 days away from harvest in my main room. No autos

Top Bottom