$100 DIY Drain to Waste Table

• Thread starter Pondracer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pondracer

Pondracer

I was tired of pooling waste water under my plants and having to manually drain my waste sump. I wanted some type of nicer table that would allow me to clean and disinfect everything after each run. I love the Dutch tables but I wasn't going to spend a grand on a table and a lot of them just seemed to give up too much height. I ended up building 3 tables with an end cost of around $100 per table. The pictures here show the table that is in my veg area and has more height and has not been plumbed for irrigation.

Dtw table plants

The 1/2 inch pipe you see in the center is a dummy pipe that carries no water. Its only function is to keep the dishwasher trays from sliding down into each other. It only maintains that spacing so the runoff drips down into the main drainage gutter. The main drainage gutter is a length of Schedule 40 4" PVC pipe that I split down the middle on the bandsaw. The reason for the spacer between the trays is so that they do not have to be attached to the main table in any way. Removing them for cleaning is just a matter of picking them up, going to the sink and bringing them back. The main main drainage gutter is similar. Its held in place with a wood cradle and removal is just sliding it out. The pitch for all these areas is a basic 1/8 to 1/4 inch per foot that is built into the structure so the actual table can just be level.

Dtw table spacer

The end pieces are screwed together and then the main frame is attached. For the gravel floor I wasn't concerned with being too precise. For the two that go in the tent the leveling feet take care of keeping it from rocking. I made the frame out of 2x4 studs that I ripped in half on the table saw. None of this is fine furniture. I wanted something durable enough to last and a design that would fit into my 5x9 tent. Two of these fit nicely with a 1 foot gap on the back for irrigation and other neccessary things and a 2 foot gap in the middle so I can step between the tables for maintenance. I went ahead and used a waterproof glue (Titebond III) along with face frame screws to secure the structure. The glue just adds another bit of rigidity and strength.

Dtw table top
Dtw table bottom

Two coats of cheap exterior paint helps protect it in a damp environment. I could have figured out how to do it with PVC but this is faster and I understand how to use wood. The paint keeps it mostly protected, I can wipe it down when its dirty and the white shows any area that might give me problems. The two tables that will end up in my tent after this run were built to use a 12" high storage box as a sump with a float switch and submersible pump. The same for the veg area but it sits slightly higher.

Bill of Material
3 8' 2x4
1 4x8 sheet 1/2" exterior ply
1 10 feet 4" pipe
1 10 feet 1/2" pipe
4" end cap
4 1/2" T
6 1/2" end cap
White exterior paint
4 each Camco Dishwasher trays
$17 each
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793DZHFM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_7bTzFb69YBAVF

Pondracer

Pondracer

I have the sump and feed lines plumbed in and I reduced the height by 7.5 inches. I am using a simple submergible pump in the sump triggered by a vertical switch. The switch is held by a plywood panel that slides up and down inside some hardwood blocks for easy removal. There is a small pool basket filter fitted into the top of the sump box. The 3/4 inch lines are connected with sanitary tri-clamp fittings that I learned to use back in the brewing days. Simple, easy to clean and a solid hand turned connection. The drain system has been tested and works great but I have to get a tank in place before I can check the feed side.
Plumb1
Plumb2

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Thank you. This completes my table. Awesome diy design. 🙏

Pondracer

Pondracer

Here is a quick pic of the tri-clamps if you are not familiar with them. They are a little pricey but last forever. This is my veg area. The flower tent will have two of these basically plumbed the same. I already have them built so there is no changing the design now. But looking forward I would have liked to taken all of the plumbing and ran it beneath the table so that it was protected from the lights and heat, then brought it up through the middle and used it for the deadman spacer thats in there now.
Triclamp

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

So, wait... What are your cuts? And what are the dimensions of the finished product? I think I would like to try this, but have minimal experience. I literally just built my first 2 structures in over a decade; a chicken coop, which, although it stands, is not the most incredible piece of architecture at which to marvel 😂. And a rabbit hutch, which I did using precise plans, and came out pretty damn good. Lol so long story short, I need some elaborations, please, friend.

Pondracer

Pondracer

So, wait... What are your cuts? And what are the dimensions of the finished product?

I didn't break it down but I will when I get a chance and post it here for you. I've got two of them that are going in my 5x9 and I will measure one up. Do you have a table saw?

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

I didn't break it down but I will when I get a chance and post it here for you. I've got two of them that are going in my 5x9 and I will measure one up. Do you have a table saw?

Ok, cool man, thanks. I do not have the whole table assembly, but I have a circular saw and can make whatever cuts I need with it. Appreciate it.

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

Also, would you happen to have the rest of the materials list, such as the sump (make, size and model) and the attachments to make that system work?

Pondracer

Pondracer

I didn't do anything with plans for these because I ran into a couple of problems. Like anything else, the first try at something doesn't always work out perfect. The problem is drainage and water spilling out on the floor. It turns out the pvc pipe I use as a spacer between the trays makes the gap too wide. The water picks up to much speed as it heads into the valley in the center, and overshoots the center gutter. I fixed it by eliminating that and just pushing the trays together. The gap still drains fine and doesnt need to be wide at all. Second problem was water curling back under the end of the gutter where it goes into the sump. I fixed this with aluminum foil. I used foil to form a spout, and then a rubber band to hold it to the bottom lip of the gutter. Still working on getting them tuned but for now the problem of leaking water is solved.

Here are some pics of the tables in the flower tent. I have a second gutter that runs between tables to pull all the water into a single sump.

FlowerTables1
FlowerTables2

Pondracer

Pondracer

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

hell yeah man, just ordered everything. Thanks!

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

so I have everything! Just arrived today. Now all I have to do is hit the local lowes and grab the hardware parts. Might take me a week or two with the holidays and all. Any way you could post a link to the tri-clamps as well? Also going to have to work through some trial and error with some of the component due the the incomplete mental blueprint I have going here lol. But I should have a working prototype by the new year, which is exiting! Thanks again for the help

Pondracer

Pondracer

I buy all my stuff from Brewer's Hardware. There is a difference in quality versus the cheaper Chinese made stuff. While leaks are part of the environment when brewing its not something you want in a tent.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Very nice work my friend!

Other than some tweaks, you have a finely tuned growing system! Loving those lights, and the custom tables is like the cherry on top!

Sweet ride you got there!!

Pondracer

Pondracer

There is a big flaw with this prototype that I attempted to address by removing the middle "spacer" pvc pipe and push the dishwasher trays up against each other. That wasn't enough. The problem comes from water curling back around and falling outside the edge of the gutter. Doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be messy occasionally. I put flashing in the middle, above the gutter, that extends straight down to a second small lip. Then I took pliers and bent that lip every so often so water can't just run all the way down the lip from one end of the table to the other. A quick test tonight and it works perfectly in my veg area. Once flower is done I will retrofit the two tables in the tent.

FlashingUpgrade

Pondracer

Pondracer

I really want to make it clear that if you build this design the flashing in the center is essential. I tore down the original tables in my flower tent after the last run and the floor was a mess. It was leaking the whole time a lot worse than I knew. I added some flashing with a little deeper profile and this problem seems to be solved.
Dirtyfloor
Flashingprofile2
FlashingUpgrade2

Top Bottom