1000 Watt Hps Bulb Is 6 Years Old

• Thread starter jpzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MGRox

MGRox

@Dunge, xD @ Star trek I hadn't even remembered that, but ye! Also, Exactly with checking Arc tube ends; I was very surprised to see how they were sealed.

So some of those bulbs that get the silver color on the inner glass (not arc tube) is related to mercury leaking out of the arc packet; presumably from these end seals.

@Skuna Tuna You and me both for not knowing it yet :D

If it's not totally obvious, creating a method of "easily" testing / alerting for bulb life based on voltage; would make a great product to market....in many industries.

One could make a socket adapter with ports or leads to connect a voltmeter.
One could also "tap" or "add-in" a voltmeter or test ports in the line going to hoods.

From a final product perspective; most likely a person would just utilize an alarm or light warning / notice when voltage exceeded XX. This wouldn't need voltmeters and could be offered for preset bulbs. Just have a male - female standard ballast connector with the alarm.

(I'm going to probably make some test points on my hood lines when lights are off next :))

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
i have known people to put in new bulbs every run in flower only rooms - but never knew anybody who purposely used bulbs until they wouldn't light before

bulb life (burn hours) is determined by lighting a large batch of bulbs and seeing at what point most of them fail - a mh bulb can deteriorate as much as 50% of its useful light by this time where as a hps is more like 20%

20% may not seem like much to you but it still uses 100% of the electricity to keep it lit - so by saving 50 bux up front your actually paying way more down the road

you guys dont need some weird ass magic bullet to determine if a bulb is good - its called a light meter

Dunge

Dunge

you guys dont need some weird ass magic bullet to determine if a bulb is good - its called a light meter
If this is true, I'd like to know more about it.
I'd love to be able to measure intensity and even spectrum to an accuracy that would allow me to see a 5% drop.
So maybe accuracy of at most 1%.
If such a thing exists outside a lab, I want to see it.

The only reason we ask this question is economics.
Each lamp seems to me to degrade at it's own rate.
I have never run a lamp to true failure.
If I can see any defect, I will replace a lamp.
Bulb prices are all over the place.
This is starting to sound like a differential math problem.

J

jpzz

unless he got at LEAST a pound then that bulb Is not doing what it's supposed too
It's quite possible he got less than a pound last couple harvests but that's all he needs. He's just growing for himself. He gives away some to various people when they run out. Hes given some to a person on chemo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom