1000w hps EXPLODED. w/ pics

• Thread starter sedate
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiboy

hiboy

Normally the internals break and then the glass will explode. But your internals are not damaged from the last pic.
Sounds like glass issues, hell a fly could of landed on it and and took a shit
h

C

CAPO

Not trying to be a dick or anything but it is very obvious that the bulb heated up the mdf/particle board to the point of ignition. The combined heat from the charred wood and the heat of the bulb itself is what broke it. A bulb exploding will not char wood like that, especially particle/ mdf. You can see the charcoal type burns on the mdf, it didn't ever get hot enough to fully ignite. Mdf is harder than wood to burn due to it's density. You are very lucky you didn't burn you place down. My suggestion is go get a proper hood. Next time you might not be so lucky.

!!!!THIS^^^^^ 4" away from MDF...BAD IDEA!!!:sweating
good call on the flame defender:ninja

C

calbunn

I know you can't touch quartz glass with your bare hands but do you have any idea what the glass is on an HPS? I didn't think it was quartz but whatever it is should be able to handle the high pressure and temperatures.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
sedate, 'glad you weren't in the room and i'm glad you didn't burn the house down.

i was going to ask to see a pic of the reflector, but I just realized that it was the reflector that was mdf and particle board, hung 4 " behind the lamp. bro, bad idea.

i'm now thinking the same as FLB said above.

for a home-made reflector, go to a metal supply yard and get some sheet metal, paint it white. hang it away from anything flammable.

and . . . what i wanna know is what happened to the smoke? is this room sealed? did your scrubber just filter it out? i'm just really glad that there were no injuries or major damage. you're seriously lucky today bro, go buy a lottery ticket.

FLB

FLB

Yes Sedate....consider yourself very lucky brother. I wasn't so lucky, I have been dealing with a burnt up property for the last 90 days. I have learned a thing or two with all the investigations. You can see all the soot buildup on the bulb and chain, my guess is you will need to change out your filters if you run any. I'm surprised somebody didn't smell all the smoke. Like papa said, grab some sheet metal or concrete board, paint it white. Be safe out there farmers!

Illmind

Illmind

better 100$ on a reflector now than your house n freedom later. jus sayin. prolly was the chain tho. if homes had that setup during summer heat with no prob y would it happen damn near winter? them chains swingin damage shit all the time. if u have access chain twisty tie it together so it cant work its way loose. and jus n case get a real hood.

ttystikk

ttystikk

That's nasty, Sedate, glad you're not hurt- or homeless. I've been there, and it's no damn fun at all- in my case, the house fire was deliberately set, nothing to do with a grow op.

Definitely a serious mercury cleanup HAZMAT issue. I wouldn't smoke anything coming from that room until it's fully cleaned up. That includes the crop currently in there, no way to clean it up, just have to toss the batch...

I think the glass envelope shattered, leaving the element exposed and in close proximity to your MDF reflector, which is why it burned. Definitely don't want anything that can burn anywhere near these bulbs, for exactly this reason.

Nutts

Nutts

First off im glad your house is ok. I was wicked baked one day and decided to clean out my fridge ..i pulled out the big glass shelf in there and walked across the room to wash it and the second it touched the warm water it was like a thermo nuclear explosion went off..no really though it exploded and got me in the face and all over my house..every room within bouncing distance...ever since then I have been sooooo careful, I wear glasses every time im near these things..not that the fridge had anything to do with it but whatever..i know if water hits my bulb or oils on it or whatever and im near it im done for..that looks like there was a flame though rather than a blown bulb..

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
so I was at work today when the hydrofarm rep came into the shop and i started to tell him about what happened with your bulb - before I could even say what brand it was he asked me point blank if it was a plantamax...

point is he has heard of this failure plenty - said he has even seen the glass get deformed because they can get so hot and that those bulbs cost 20 bux and you get what you pay for

just thought you may want to know that - you may feel slightly vindicated that it wasnt your home made reflector (which I never thought it was personally)

audius

audius

holy shit bro, your damm lucky your house isnt looking the same way.i would change out all the bulbs made by them. & i will also add that i have read about certain bulbs not being made to hang vert. hort only. i dont think thats the case here but worth keeping in mind.

C

calbunn

I've got a Chevy Volt and Plantamax lamps.

I guess I'm fucked

Seriously though, do you know how many lamps blow up in steel mills where the ambient temperatures can get up 220F at the ceiling. Unless rated for the higher ambient and base up installations the glass can't take it since the basic laws of thermodynamics apply in that the heat mfg'd by the lamp isn't conducted to the cooler air normally surrounding these lamps and the pressure continues to rise inside the lamp until the glass can't contain it any longer. The gas either escapes from the metal to glass base or it may explode if it can't escape and the internal pressure rises past containment. I run EFDL which is a 4mm pyrex type glass wall but high pressure sodium lamps glass is by design capable of containing higher pressures.

Now there is another situation that could have contributed to this event. It could also be the digital ballast or a combination of the lamp and ballast. Here's how; as the temperature in the lamp rises the resistance in the lamp decreases. This makes the digital ballast produce more current. This is known as thermal runaway and makes for some pretty violent explosions of the weakest link in the circuit. In this case it could have been the lamp (China) glass.

The ballast is supposed to have a current limiting circuit but if it doesn't then ballast thermal runaway could very well have been what caused the explosion. Check with the ballast mfg to make sure it has a current limiting shutdown feature to be certain it's in the circuit as a way to rule the ballast out so it doesn't happen again.

hiboy

hiboy

Normally the internals break and then the glass will explode. But your internals are not damaged from the last pic.
Sounds like glass issues, hell a fly could of landed on it and and took a shit
h

LOOKs like i had it pegged a few weeks ago..
damn im good
h:party0044::party0044::party0044:

SKUNK420

SKUNK420

Is your room sealed or does it exhaust to the outside? Can you imagine seeing smoke coming out of the attic from the burning of the mdf reflector, that is IF your set-up is like that?

edit : sealed I bet, I see a lot of bare bulbs in the background

kashif

kashif

holy shit man..sorry to hear about that..but i am glad everything is safe and not big damage done.....

B

benamack

wow dam i gonna have to tell my boss about this cause our store sells these bulb and i never have like them. ive used them before and im using one now in my 400 watt. but whoa...

Top Bottom