1000W upgrade?

• Thread starter sirshamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sirshamus

Been pondering the idea of going to a 1000 watt hps. Currently running a 600. Just wondering from you guys that know, how much would I benefit from this if I run it in the same tent with the same number of girls. Just curious and thanks again farmers.

S

sirshamus

I have thought about that too, but just wondering about the penetrating power. Wanting to increase the size of my lower flowers.

darksideX

darksideX

to be honest i have no experience with 1000hps, but my feelin alwayz told me to get two lower W lampz,than one higher ,.. two 1000 hps woul be best,hahhhaaha..
sry,that i can't help ya for real,but i'm sure some more experienced farmerz will do soon, and btw sry for my bad engl...hf, & u will do the right choice..wish u good luck at ur ladyz,specially @ the lowerz..
greEtz..

T

Time

I have thought about that too, but just wondering about the penetrating power. Wanting to increase the size of my lower flowers.

Two six hundreds would be more efficient and use about the same amount of juice. A single 1k will give you fatter nugs. RR was just talking about how he switched from 600's to 1k's after many years of using 600's.

Another poster commented on the switch, stated that they had recently switched as well, and were much happier under 1k's.

blazedahaze

blazedahaze

Hey bro, i switched my 600 to a 1k about a month ago just before flower, after using a 600 for about 3 years. I already notice a dramatic increase in density and resin content and the girls seem to stay a lil squatter too. been growing the same green crack clone for about two years and she is just lovin it. the only thing is that i had to upgrade to a bigger squirrel cage for the air cooled hood to compensate for the heat issues. hope this helps and i need to get my hands on some new genes but my wallet is tight right now tuition and books is killing me this year.

L

l33t

Well it all depends on how tall plants you grow.The taller , the more you will benefit with upgrading from 1 x 600w to 1 x 1000w.

Regarding regarding 2x600w VS 1k
If you grow short plants that are under 2ft for example go with 2x600watters..but if you grow big tall plants the 1k is a better option. It also depends on strain , indicas perform great even with smaller lights while sativas generally prefer more intense light with better penetration.

S

sirshamus

wow, a lot of useful information. right now, i'm growing a combo, few LST's and a few trees. really wanting to get a new 1000 with one of the great white hoods, those things are huge.

S

sirshamus

now i'm contemplating adding another 600. can you put both hoods right next to eachother? still waiting on some other farmer's opinions on this.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
now i'm contemplating adding another 600. can you put both hoods right next to eachother? still waiting on some other farmer's opinions on this.

I would not mix a 1000 watter with a 600 watter IMO, The side with the 600 watter is gonna suck lol...
You must be talking about the Sun System Magnum XXXL... I have it and love it. That hood is awesome covers my Jardin DR150(5x5)perfect and even.
1000 watts is the way to go.. Way fatter denser nugz compared to 2 600's.. :harvest:

U

uwg13

Well it all depends on how tall plants you grow.The taller , the more you will benefit with upgrading from 1 x 600w to 1 x 1000w.

Regarding regarding 2x600w VS 1k
If you grow short plants that are under 2ft for example go with 2x600watters..but if you grow big tall plants the 1k is a better option. It also depends on strain , indicas perform great even with smaller lights while sativas generally prefer more intense light with better penetration.

Very true. I think two 600s would be better in every aspect except maybe cost. I even think two 400s would outperform a 1000 because there is more distribution. It's all very subjective to what you're doing though as the quote explains. Also aircooled makes a big difference.

S

sirshamus

Thanks guys, thinking thats what I want to do Greenthumb, I have a dr120, so i'm sure 1000W would be perfect.

N

Nuglover

Two 600's will outdo a single 1000. You can get them much closer to your plants with more light distribution over a larger area...and two 600's will only produce slightly more heat than one 1000. A single 1000 may be better growing a single large plant, but I doubt that as well. You lose an assload of light the further away your lights get, so closer is always better IMHO. I love my 600's and my nugs are tight and dense as hell. Some are almost too dense(hashberry). I haven'y grown any pure Sativa's or Hazes indoors though.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks guys, thinking thats what I want to do Greenthumb, I have a dr120, so i'm sure 1000W would be perfect.

You will see the quality of nugz and the density you get from the 1000 watter. I am in the 1K club for life.. :harvest:
A friend of mine is running the 2 600 watter gimmick.. We are kinda having a modern day cock off about the same thing.. I will show him come harvest time lmao..

GTD

F

frankie-smiles

I'm in the same boat, thinking about a whole new system. I've ran a DR120 with a 600 and got real good yields with it but..... bigger is better as they say. Now thinking of two DR120's or one of the DR120 wide (120x240x200). Was thinking that 2x1000 watters would be cool but if i got a DR120 wide i could run 3 or even 4 600's in it. I just don't know what way to go, a DR120 with a 1000 watter would rock but how would it handel 2 600's in the same space? I know a 1000 has better penetration but 2 600's would create a better "sweetspot" i'm thinking. Much to ponder me thinks lol.

S

sirshamus

Thats where i am right now frankie, pondering that myself. Would like to see the results of gtdanny's "cock off", lol.

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

Made the switch to 1000's, and will never look back. I grow bush style, and trim bottom half of plants off. My canopy winds up being very uniform, most bud sites are all within 6-8 inches of each other (height wise), and I can bathe them w/ bright light about 10-12 in. away from my air cooled reflector. Very few lumens are wasted because of this. 90% of my buds are in this "sweet spot" and it pays off!

blazedahaze

blazedahaze

Same here CS I grow in a 2x4 cabinet with my 1k now from old 600 and get around 3-4 oz's more.. I have been growing the same Cush clone for like three years.. so everything is constant.

N

n0dn4rb

im currently running a 400watt HPS light but have a 1k HPS that I want to run in there...I was thinking of running it vertical but after reading GTD and a few others talk about the Magnum XXL hood I think this is where I need to be....

1ks are hard to cool when in a closet setup, at least in my setup...so I want to go with a hood with a nice vortex fan....

gotta love the buds that a 1k pumps out....

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
im currently running a 400watt HPS light but have a 1k HPS that I want to run in there...I was thinking of running it vertical but after reading GTD and a few others talk about the Magnum XXL hood I think this is where I need to be....

1ks are hard to cool when in a closet setup, at least in my setup...so I want to go with a hood with a nice vortex fan....

gotta love the buds that a 1k pumps out....

Hey homie with a good inline you can suck the heat from that bulb out of your grow no problem.. With my Magnum XXXL hood I can touch the glass and its warm but not hot. Temps in my DR150 haven't been above 77 deg. :harvest:
1K rules :ninja

Friggen Hood is huge.. literally covers my 5x5 DR150 perfect..

Picture176.jpg

HLRESMXXXL06.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom