1000W upgrade?

• Thread starter sirshamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dank.frank

Been pondering the idea of going to a 1000 watt hps. Currently running a 600. Just wondering from you guys that know, how much would I benefit from this if I run it in the same tent with the same number of girls. Just curious and thanks again farmers.

I would suggest rather than buying a new ballast, setting up another flowering room and running your 600 on a DIY flip-flop. This is effectively the same as having 2 600's; you just have to set up another flowering space identical to the one you already have...when one room goes off, the other comes on... So you can effectively double whatever it is you are currently producing...and you don't have to purchase another ballast.

dank.Frank

JH420

JH420

I would suggest rather than buying a new ballast, setting up another flowering room and running your 600 on a DIY flip-flop. This is effectively the same as having 2 600's; you just have to set up another flowering space identical to the one you already have...when one room goes off, the other comes on... So you can effectively double whatever it is you are currently producing...and you don't have to purchase another ballast.

dank.Frank

But you would need to purchase another tent...and almost everything else as well just to save the cost of a 600 watt ballast...I think/assume the OP is simply looking to make improvements within his existing tent.

T

TheNman

now i'm contemplating adding another 600. can you put both hoods right next to eachother? still waiting on some other farmer's opinions on this.

I just started a grow with 2 600s instead of a 1000.
So far, the growth is unbelievably faster!
Normally at this time after transplanting the clones, i'd be at about 750ppm, but now i'm at 1050ppm and the leaves are still light green.

Under a 1000, my pmm maxes out at about 1200-1300, now i'm almost there while the buds site are just a few hairs!

We'll see how the colas turn out, but i'm expecting some large fucking buds!

S

sirshamus

Man guys, I'm still clueless what I want to do. This sucks, lol. So many different ballast choices. I'm running 600W future brite digi and have had no problems except burning a bulb out. Anyone got any advice on the ballast situation, as far as 1000W goes?

D

dank.frank

But you would need to purchase another tent...and almost everything else as well just to save the cost of a 600 watt ballast...I think/assume the OP is simply looking to make improvements within his existing tent.

Understood...with the main goal of increasing his yield. If THAT is the goal, then perhaps money is better spent this way. He could be producing for example 12oz a cycle with his 600w and with a 1000w, perhaps 15-17oz a cycle.

HOWEVER, a flip-flop, although a bit more work in setup, would allow for a production of 24oz per cycle. Or in that case, would allow for a indica room and a longer flowering room for sativas...Giving him a larger ability for stain variety....

But yes, I agree, and did in fact state in the original post, it would require him to set up another flowering room as well.

F

frankie-smiles

Well my mate has just had some majour problems with 3 1000 watt balasts in a row. His first one was nice for 2 weeks, he had a few power cuts and after the 3rd power cut the balast had stopped working and was giving off shocks when it wasn't even plugged in (don't quite know how that worked). The shop owner is cool and agreed to give him a new one no questions asked. This new one never even worked once. He swiftly returned it and got another replacement of another make which also failed to work and makes a mad crackling sound as soon as you plug it in, regardless of weather the plug socket is turned on or off. Crazy shit going on at that pad let me tell ya! Gonna get another one on monday so I'll let you know if that worked. Put me right off em like, I thinks I'll be sticking with my 600's after this though.

S

sirshamus

Boy, thats not good news, frankie. Were those digital ballasts?

F

frankie-smiles

Nah, standard mag ballasts. Talked to a few shop owners who said they haven't sold any 1000 watt ballasts in a few years cuz they can't find reliable ones.

S

sirshamus

Well, think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get 1000w lumatek, sun system super sun 2 reflector(you think this will cover my dr120 ok?) and bulb. Still pondering the idea, though.

S

sirshamus

Well, set up my new 1000w last night. Went with the 1000w lumatek, sun systems super sun 2 reflector and an ultra sun bulb. I will upgrade the bulb after I scrape up some more cash. I will also be getting a 6" inline fan to replace the 6" axial fan I rigged up for exhaust. It worked killer with my 600, but my temps were 80 last night. Is that too hot?

K

kansasgrown

I hope you do not mean an inline duct fan, but a vortex type fan? Inline duct fans are mean to supplement the airflow not be the only one. 80 deg is on the high end for my likes.

S

sirshamus

It is a 6" axial fan, like a big computer type fan. I'm shortening the duct work tonight, had it at the end of about 20ft with a couple of 90 degree bends. Gonna make it about 5 ft, just outside the tent to another room, see how that works out. Its all I got for now, gonna have to do, lol. Will see how the girls look tonight.

N

Nuglover

I don't think a 6"axial is gonna cut it with 1k goin'. You'll come up with something though. Nothin' like stoner ingenuity to get things done. My first vent fan was from one of those inflatable christmas yard decorations. It kept a 6' snowman inflated, then when the dog killed Frosty, it kepy my lamp cool. Something will come to ya...

S

sirshamus

I think it will work if I shorten up the run of duct. Will give update after I try it. My axial fan came from a broken air hockey table, lol.

F

frankie-smiles

I think it will work if I shorten up the run of duct. Will give update after I try it. My axial fan came from a broken air hockey table, lol.

I love it, I'm always "borrowing" bits from here and there for my room as well. Good luck with the new kit, my pal has just replaced his 600's with 1000's and his budz are loving the extra watts.

S

sirshamus

Thanks Frankie, we do what we gotta do, lol. Well, it brought my temps down bout 4 degrees. Guess I'll have to live with that until my next purchase.

Top Bottom