13 weeks 12/12 Are they done yet?

• Thread starter 400HPS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

I disagree with a lot of air flow,it needs 10-14 days to dry. If the buds are thick like 5" diameters.cut a bud here and there to help with the buds sweating. JK

J

jaybird

look done to me...get yourself one of those pocket microscopes...cost about $20 at the most...take a better look at the trichomes...i usually harvest when all are thick cloudy looking with a few hot pink tips....this is the high i prefer...harvesting more when its amber....changes the head high to more body....all a matter of preference...
stay green, Gro-on
jaybird

sedate

sedate

Jalisco Kid said:
I disagree with a lot of air flow,it needs 10-14 days to dry.

Um . . . I'd be real careful without airflow - bud gets awfully prone to mold and such if one just lets it sit . . .

R

Rolln J

lots of airflow when your buds are drying makes them dry faster, too fast - unless thats what your going for...

if your drying your weed hanging up in a room thats 70 ish degrees your buds are not gonna mold, unless they already have mold.

if you put it in bags/jars too wet and let it sit it will mold.

I been drying weed the same way for 25 years and I never had anything mold up on me while it was hanging.

sedate

sedate

Rolln J said:
if your drying your weed hanging up in a room thats 70 ish degrees your buds are not gonna mold, unless they already have mold.

Wha? Like a microscopic mold spore? Like the mold that floats about in the air and in humidity?

From a certain microbiotic perspective - all bud "has" mold - at least some mold spores are as sure to be on your freshly harvested bud as they are sure to be on anything else in your home or anywhere else that is exposed to Earth's living atmosphere.

Leaving these spores to sit and bake at 70 degrees while hanging out on wet, dead/dying plant matter? Doesn't give you mold? Wha?

You are either extremely, unfeasibly lucky, or you don't dry the way you say you do.

It just isn't possible to have

Rolln J said:
been drying weed the same way for 25 years and I never had anything mold up on me while it was hanging.

if you hang freshly cut bud in dead air at 70 degrees.

Rolln J said:
lots of airflow when your buds are drying makes them dry faster, too fast - unless thats what your going for...

I mean - I'm not suggesting you stick the shit in a wind tunnel - but a fan set to low gently oscillating in the room is an absolute neccessity.

I built a box - about the size of a box you'd build for a 12" subwoofer - that has a little inlet, some screens, and a 120VAC fan sucking air out - that works as my drying device/platform.

I based it on this:

R

Rolln J

bud "driers" like that were designed by commercial growers whose only interest is to get their bud to market faster...

everybody has there own way - drying and curing weed is an art in itself, I have a few friends who can grow some decent meds - but always fuck it up in the dry process.

to get the best flavor and smooth hitting weed you want to dry your weed slowly - some leave all the water leaves on when they hang it so it takes longer to dry - personally I trim it all in one shot and hang it like that.

I know people who take a big ass box with holes punched in it and strings ran back and forth up and down the box - they put their colas in there and close up the box - no fan at all - prolly takes 3 more days to dry then the way I do it and they get a great result.

if this works for you and your happy with the results, Im not gonna sit here and tell you its wrong. but I bet many growers on here would say they dry there weed in the same fashion I do...

also Im very allergic to mold - just smelling a bag off weed with mold on it will make my sinuses burn and make my eyes water and feel like I have pink eye.

sedate

sedate

Rolln J said:
everybody has there own way - drying and curing weed is an art in itself, I have a few friends who can grow some decent meds - but always fuck it up in the dry process.

I think the worse thing about the MMJ scene is the rushed-to-market, improperly cured herb.

So here, agreed.

Rolln J said:
I know people who take a big ass box with holes punched in it and strings ran back and forth up and down the box - they put their colas in there and close up the box - no fan at all - prolly takes 3 more days to dry then the way I do it and they get a great result.

See - it's not that I'm saying this will inevitably not work, or even that it's bad advice, just that I think only the most experienced growers should choose this method as it is so failure prone.

I've seen to many crops go up overnight with powerdery mildew or mold or someweird spiderweb-lookin crap - and the situation is like you describe - wet buds sitting in a closed box or closet or something for days and days on end.

My little bud drier doesn't suffer that problem.

I also take some issue with the idea that the dry process is so critical - I think the cure time and choosing the right moisture level to begin the cure at - is really what is important here - not whether or not the bud took an extra few days to dry.

To be honest - the *best* herb I've had - admittedly, it isn't mine - but the *best* cured herb I've ever tasted is dried in a bud drier.

Cured for a month in a cellar in glass - but dried in drier.

M

mountaindank

Thing is, the drying part is part of the curing process. It's a delicate balance for sure, but I like to dry my bud as slowly as I can without getting mold. Luckily I live in an area that doesn't have much mold in the first place. Even so I stick an air filter in my drying closet to help keep particulate like mold spores out of the air. It takes anywhere from one week to two for mine to dry, and I've never had problems.

R

Rolln J

I would never dry my weed in a closed closet or a box for sure! Im not promoting this, just putting it out there that lots of folks do this.

but I would never put a fan on it either unless I was in a hurry for some reason...

I did it once when I was under the gun to move because the place I was living was being sold and I did not like the results - it dried my weed in about half the normal time and was more harsh to me even after cure...

ShivaSkunkPunk

ShivaSkunkPunk

great thread and outstanding info RJ, gotta post some pics for you guys, now into week 2 of flower and the ladies are really looking promising for a first timer

Top Bottom