16 1k lights 235 ebb&grow buckets! Lets get it on!!

• Thread starter Yodas Master
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yodas Master

Looking good, bro - keep that RH up and keep up the good work :)

Any noticeable difference between the perlite and hydroton at this point?

GO EAGLES!!!! (drunk and couldn't resist) :)

Hands down the perlite is killing the hydroton. The hydroton seems to wilt the plants during watering and the perlite plants look phenominal during all phases. I have put a small layer of hydroton on top of the perlite to stop light from making algae. I will use perlite on bottom and hydroton on top to keep the perlite from floating during watering.( so lightweight)

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
OH SNAP!!!! It had been about a year since I read up on VPD and that's definitely an issue I have going on now. I knew I had too low humidity, but didn't realize some of the stresses I was causing. -- Shady is the MAN! Thanks for posting the links.
Thx for the very kind words my friend! I'll have to check out your thread in a minute and see how the trailer is rocking... :rock

Shady, I must say, your recommended reading was very enlightening, thank you for offering that, I only ever knew to be between 40% and 60% humidity, I am glad to understand the underlying physics! You're a cool dude, I'll be following your posts :-)

I guess there's a reason he thought my advice worked, him and I were both experiencing the same problem of humidity in addition. My room is maxed out at 45% at night, 15%-20% daytime. My growth rate is slow, and I could be using my nutrients more efficiently! (let this happen to make sure powdery mildew goes away) Your advice reminds me why I come here!
Thx for the kind word as well buffbuds! I'm glad the links have helped... I've been preaching about VPD way before the article came out in Urban Garden magazine... Ahhh, those are just a couple links amongst many bookmarks in my research... :cool

Update gentlemen....As you can see things are really taking off. Here are a few updated pics.. Looking very healthy.. LUCAS FORMULA is working for sure. With alittle Shady and Bobby help!!!!!

Also have been able to keep the humidity alittle better at around 20% to 28% but still far from ideal..
Very nice job brah! Those girls are starting to bounce back... Here's a couple thoughts to consider... If your goal is for a SOG, then you really could use smaller pots and increase your density of plants under each light. The idea is to flip now, if SOG is really your goal...

On another note, I'm very curious about the hydroton performance vs the perlite... What are the flood durations and intervals? :wondering

Y

Yodas Master

Thx for the very kind words my friend! I'll have to check out your thread in a minute and see how the trailer is rocking... :rock

Thx for the kind word as well buffbuds! I'm glad the links have helped... I've been preaching about VPD way before the article came out in Urban Garden magazine... Ahhh, those are just a couple links amongst many bookmarks in my research... :cool

Very nice job brah! Those girls are starting to bounce back... Here's a couple thoughts to consider... If your goal is for a SOG, then you really could use smaller pots and increase your density of plants under each light. The idea is to flip now, if SOG is really your goal...

On another note, I'm very curious about the hydroton performance vs the perlite... What are the flood durations and intervals? :wondering

Both are being watered at 7am,1pm,7pm
Watering will prob increase during flowering with the perlite...

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Hmmm, maybe I don't quite understand your ebb and grow buckets... Do they simply flood and then drain completely? How long do they stay full of water? In my veg ebb 'n flow setup, I only flood at lights on 7 am, and then at 6 pm... light's turn off at 1 am. The flood only lasts as long as it takes to saturate my pots with hydroton, and then the drain begins. Granted my little ghetto setup is under T-8's and not HID's... Let's see what the other farmers experienced this type of setup have to say... :wait

Y

Yodas Master

Hmmm, maybe I don't quite understand your ebb and grow buckets... Do they simply flood and then drain completely? How long do they stay full of water? In my veg ebb 'n flow setup, I only flood at lights on 7 am, and then at 6 pm... light's turn off at 1 am. The flood only lasts as long as it takes to saturate my pots with hydroton, and then the drain begins. Granted my little ghetto setup is under T-8's and not HID's... Let's see what the other farmers experienced this type of setup have to say... :wait

I flood 30min.. I have alot of tubing and 48 buckets on each.
The hydroton i could probably back off to 2 watering per day, but i learned very fast that the perlite dries out very fast.
Yes all buckets completley drain.
I aso have no humidity and i think it causes them to dry faster also.
Think i need to back the hydroton buckets back to 2a day instead of 3?

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Hmmm, that makes sense. I wouldn't change the hydroton feedings just yet... Honestly, the RH is critical to success and it's got to get higher... :thinking

B

Bobby Smith

Yoda - you should only be flooding as long as it takes to get the water level in the buckets up to your flood line and then the pump(s) should shut off - unless you want to put an airstone in every bucket (and turn them into DWC), letting non-aerated water sit in there for any length of time is not recommended.

Like Shady I've never run an Ebb 'n Gro, but I'd have to imagine it's fairly similar to hydroton in a normal flood table - I flood every two hours for 6 minutes (how long it takes me to flood my table) - it's almost impossible to overwater in hydroton as long as your floods are quick and don't leave the roots unnecessarily submerged (I've gone up to once an hour but didn't notice much of a difference so went back to every other hour).

Have you checked any of your bucket's moisture levels in-between floods, or are you just flooding for the minimum number of times per day to avoid wilting? I ask because at the size those plants are I'd be flooding at a minimum of four times per day, and more likely in the six-ten times per day range.

If you have different setups, perhaps experiment a little with different flooding frequencies and see what seems to work best?

BTW, is your spacing in the pics in post #100 a temporary veg spacing or will it remain that way through flower? Unless you want to run single cola SOG plants, that spacing isn't gonna give you very large plants in flower (I've never seen an E&G run SOG, always 2-4 ounce bushes with more spacing than yours have).

EDIT: flooding more often will also have the side benefit of increasing your RH to some degree - might not take you from 30 to 50, but it will help.

Y

Yodas Master

Yoda - you should only be flooding as long as it takes to get the water level in the buckets up to your flood line and then the pump(s) should shut off - unless you want to put an airstone in every bucket (and turn them into DWC), letting non-aerated water sit in there for any length of time is not recommended.

Like Shady I've never run an Ebb 'n Gro, but I'd have to imagine it's fairly similar to hydroton in a normal flood table - I flood every two hours for 6 minutes (how long it takes me to flood my table) - it's almost impossible to overwater in hydroton as long as your floods are quick and don't leave the roots unnecessarily submerged (I've gone up to once an hour but didn't notice much of a difference so went back to every other hour).

Have you checked any of your bucket's moisture levels in-between floods, or are you just flooding for the minimum number of times per day to avoid wilting? I ask because at the size those plants are I'd be flooding at a minimum of four times per day, and more likely in the six-ten times per day range.

If you have different setups, perhaps experiment a little with different flooding frequencies and see what seems to work best?

BTW, is your spacing in the pics in post #100 a temporary veg spacing or will it remain that way through flower? Unless you want to run single cola SOG plants, that spacing isn't gonna give you very large plants in flower (I've never seen an E&G run SOG, always 2-4 ounce bushes with more spacing than yours have).

EDIT: flooding more often will also have the side benefit of increasing your RH to some degree - might not take you from 30 to 50, but it will help.

If you have never used these then this is the problem. I have lots of tubing which takes longer to flood the back buckets. All of this happens in 30min.
Now they are not wilting at anytime of the day. Nor are they sitting in stagnate water
2)No this is the spacing for the sog grow.I only have 235 buckets going but i have the ability to expand if the plants get to big. I can add another 100 buckets at anytime to give me more spacing between plants.
I have only 10 lights on currently.i have 10 more avail if they get to big. Im going to let them grow naturally so we are going to see how many more lights ill need to turn on.
My original idea was to SOG but i think they may be too big for that now.
I am in the room about every hour so i monitor the plants and how they are reacting. They are performing wonderfully and im sure they are very happy
Check this out for an idea of what im looking to do.Its awesome
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/completed-journals/133327-garden-slaves-zero-veg-mini-farm-trainwreck-bluecheese-big-bud.html

Y

Yodas Master

So the journey begins...12/12 started on 12/21..... Kinda ironic..maybe not.
Quick update we have....
3---joe schmoe casey jones---fruitridge wellness 12-14"
3---black domina--fruitridge wellness 9-10"
95--g13---personal- 8-12"
100-champagne--personal 8-12"
75--aliendogv2-- oggenetics--no veg 2-3"
80--deadhead og--oggenetics---no veg 2-3"
10--bubba kush--greenhouse seed--no veg 2-3"

After alot of research i have decided to put the clones strait to flower. I have placed about 4 to each 2 gallon pot..This is going to be exciting..

Ill get up some individual pics so you can all see the differences..
Should be damned interesting if nothing else.
GTD has grown the same cut as mine and produced 3.2lbs on 1k,17plants,4x4 table...Holy shit.
Im really really excited gentlemen...join in for this...only 69 more days left
LUCAS FORMULA 8ML/GAL FNB ----SHADY REC--3ML/GAL CALMAG
PH 5.5 - 5.8 ON ALL RES
68-71 F ON RES
1290-1350 PPM--.7 CONVERSION
CANOPY TEMP 79F

B

bag0drugs420

How r ur nutes at 1290-1350/ dont mean to sound stupid but im new to hydro, ive never had my ppm above 900 in promix, but like i said that high for flowering? im scared bc i have a 60 site aeroflo on its first run and veg with canna my plants look perfect and the ppm never gets above 800 at most and ph around 6.

F

FOUR20

ebb flow may have better suited ur needs? ur set up looks amazing just some dirt ana drip set up n ud b goldne! o well trial an error is the name of the game but im sure your ish will b on point!

Y

Yodas Master

Pic1--Black Domina
Pic2--Casey Jones-Schmoe cut
pic3--Champagne
pic4--g13--double clone
pic5--deadhead og--4per 2gallon
pic6--aliendogv2--4 per 2gallon
pic7--bubbakush-2 per 2gallon-wouldnt upload to site

C

cvbud

way to jump into the game. im subbed. i have two grows under my belt with the C.A.P. ebb and grow system. I will try to help where i can.
good luck.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Ya them plants lookin much better my dad did something real similar to this on a smaller scale. 62 yrs old no experience drops 18grand on his first setup used lucas formula plants looked tge same as yours at the beginning but also came back nicely now he juseeds to figure out his root rot issues. When u get this figured out call me. can u say Tumbleweed check it out on u tube.

Y

Yodas Master

Ya them plants lookin much better my dad did something real similar to this on a smaller scale. 62 yrs old no experience drops 18grand on his first setup used lucas formula plants looked tge same as yours at the beginning but also came back nicely now he juseeds to figure out his root rot issues. When u get this figured out call me. can u say Tumbleweed check it out on u tube.

Sounds like the roots were sitting in water..Lower the controller bucket to 1inch below the rest of the buckets. All the water should drain.The controller bucket must have been sitting to high and was leaving water that was stagnate and the roots were hanging in it. Thats my guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom