160 bag ruined on one run

• Thread starter GDub51
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GDub51

GDub51

I did my first dry ice hash process recently. I am amazed at the volume I got VS plain ice water hash. HOWEVER, the 160 screen I used is now sticky/tacky to the touch from the plant oils. I washed with cold water just as directed and was left with a stained and tacky sieve. I checked further and was counseled to use alcohol and a brush to remove it. I found a wide plate to use as a scrubber backer, sprayed the alcohol on each area I was working using paper towels on the backside to catch the sticky stuff. Scrubbed for 30 min this way and hung to dry. Much stuff was seen on the paper towels. YET after drying on a line outdoors they are still tacky!! I would not want to risk running another 80 grams thru this sticky bad only to find all the trichomes sticking to the screen! What am I to do? What did I do wrong? I believe it may have been due to technique. As this was my 1st go with dry ice I had an idea to better agitate the mix. I used my 12" orbital polisher to shake the 5-gallon bucket for a minute before turning over and handshaking the bag over my mirror. Did I shake too hard by using the orbital polisher? Would this have broken too many trichomes causing the extra stickiness in the strainer?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would have thought the alcohol would work. Haven't used the bags myself but interested in the solution since I plant to some day

GDub51

GDub51

I would have thought the alcohol would work. Haven't used the bags myself but interested in the solution since I plant to some day
You ABSOLUTELY MUST try dry ice hash!! I was blown away by the LOAD I GOT FILLED A SHORT BALL JAR! With golden pure hash. Orbital polisher made for a huge take I guess, BUT I'm afraid it broke too many trichomes into pieces dumping their oil on the screen. My ice water extractions didn't get near this amount nor quality and this was much easier and faster. Take a look at the pics! This is from 80 grams of 2018 white widow flower, frozen, broken by hand then shaken in the bucket with the dry ice then sifted out over a large mirror. With a take like this, I'm willing to buy a new bag for each sift if I have to. Sure like to re-use mine though....

IMG 2655
IMG 2656
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You ABSOLUTELY MUST try dry ice hash!! I was blown away by the LOAD I GOT FILLED A SHORT BALL JAR! With golden pure hash. Orbital polisher made for a huge take I guess, BUT I'm afraid it broke too many trichomes into pieces dumping their oil on the screen. My ice water extractions didn't get near this amount nor quality and this was much easier and faster. Take a look at the pics! This is from 80 grams of 2018 white widow flower, frozen, broken by hand then shaken in the bucket with the dry ice then sifted out over a large mirror. With a take like this, I'm willing to buy a new bag for each sift if I have to. Sure like to re-use mine though....
That looks nice. I will get to it maybe this summer. I have some buddies that really want me to get some done.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I use boldtbags. They are safe to dip in isopropyl & then spray with water hose. Clean bags is the most important part of making hash because like you said once its clogged you are only losing product to the bag.

GDub51

GDub51

That looks nice. I will get to it maybe this summer. I have some buddies that really want me to get some done.
I had no choice. Like many, I'm sure as the new harvest approaches we take a look at the inventory and its a "holy shi*t" moment to realize you need to make room for the new! So I've tried half a dozen concentrating methods over the years but dry ice hash is SO FAR SUPERIOR that I won't do any other method again. I store/cure in my wine storage cellars, see pics. Great for temperature and humidity control as long as the harvest fits! I harvest in batches so it has worked so far.
IMG 2446
IMG 2450

GDub51

GDub51

I use boldtbags. They are safe to dip in isopropyl & then spray with water hose. Clean bags is the most important part of making hash because like you said once its clogged you are only losing product to the bag.
I bought Baddude bags. I scrubbed forever with 91% alcohol and a nail brush with paper towels behind to absorb the oil. Got well stained paper towels so I did it a second time but it's still STICKY!!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I had no choice. Like many, I'm sure as the new harvest approaches we take a look at the inventory and its a "holy shi*t" moment to realize you need to make room for the new! So I've tried half a dozen concentrating methods over the years but dry ice hash is SO FAR SUPERIOR that I won't do any other method again. I store/cure in my wine storage cellars, see pics. Great for temperature and humidity control as long as the harvest fits! I harvest in batches so it has worked so far. View attachment 987349View attachment 987347
That is the classiest drying room I have ever seen 👍

Dbear180

Dbear180

I had no choice. Like many, I'm sure as the new harvest approaches we take a look at the inventory and its a "holy shi*t" moment to realize you need to make room for the new! So I've tried half a dozen concentrating methods over the years but dry ice hash is SO FAR SUPERIOR that I won't do any other method again. I store/cure in my wine storage cellars, see pics. Great for temperature and humidity control as long as the harvest fits! I harvest in batches so it has worked so far. View attachment 987349View attachment 987347

Turkey bags are a great option if your tired of all the jars. I grow multiple flavors & mix the similar phenos to reduce the amount of storage space needed.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Turkey bags are a great option if your tired of all the jars. I grow multiple flavors & mix the similar phenos to reduce the amount of storage space needed.
Yeah I heard turkey bags were great... Have yet to use em though. Anything I keep around for a while goes into jars but the bags sound a handy for a long term option.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I bought Baddude bags. I scrubbed forever with 91% alcohol and a nail brush with paper towels behind to absorb the oil. Got well stained paper towels so I did it a second time but it's still STICKY!!!

I let the bottoms of mine soak for a few minutes in a container full of alcohol, turn it inside out & blast everything back out with the water pressure.
This bag has about 40 batches run thru it now & still looks like new.
20200617 110451

GDub51

GDub51

I harvest in stages and grow two or three phenotypes per season so I really need the bottles. AND, like you I like the process of segregating them into separate bottles for harvest times as well as phenotypes. AND I figured out my cellar holds more than I need so if there is more than it will hold I've grown too much. (nice problem to have). I've used up my bartering avenues so its "smoke or go home" if you know what I mean. As an ex wine collector, having bunches of different types to compare is a big part of the fun.

GDub51

GDub51

I let the bottoms of mine soak for a few minutes in a container full of alcohol, turn it inside out & blast everything back out with the water pressure.
This bag has about 40 batches run thru it now & still looks like new.
View attachment 987350
thanks, I'll try this. I didn't soak in the alcohol first. EXPENSIVE with 91% alcohol isn't it? My 91% was brushed on with a nail brush for 30 min. and a new bag is cheaper than a quart of 91% iso online. I also of course rinsed after. I don't have a power washer. Thank you for your reply.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Yeah I heard turkey bags were great... Have yet to use em though. Anything I keep around for a while goes into jars but the bags sound a handy for a long term option.

Turkey bags & large 62% boveda/integra boost packs are awesome for long term. This mandarin dreams is probably almost two years old now lol. I can still squeeze the nugs without crumbling them. My homies wife has been smoking nothing but this since I chopped it & other than losing a little smell, she has no complaints...
Another option is the goose bags. Those are supposed to line a 5 gallon food grade bucket perfectly 👍
20200617 110919

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I know mineral spirits are cheap and do a great job of emulsifying. Maybe a quick clean with mineral spirits then a good rinse and possibly alcohol after? Just thinking outloud.

GDub51

GDub51

Turkey bags & large 62% boveda/integra boost packs are awesome for long term. This mandarin dreams is probably almost two years old now lol. I can still squeeze the nugs without crumbling them. My homies wife has been smoking nothing but this since I chopped it & other than losing a little smell, she has no complaints...
Another option is the goose bags. Those are supposed to line a 5 gallon food grade bucket perfectly 👍
View attachment 987351
I use turkey bags for decarbing after purging the air out of them. I like decarbing in a closed environment to keep off-gassing of terpenes to a minimum. Then it can go directly to the freezer for a short time to cool them down and bind them back on the plant matter.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use turkey bags for decarbing after purging the air out of them. I like decarbing in a closed environment to keep off-gassing of terpenes to a minimum. Then it can go directly to the freezer for a short time to cool them down and bind them back on the plant matter.
Wow I never thought of that... Great idea. I always just did the baking sheet and tin foil 😞

GDub51

GDub51

I know mineral spirits are cheap and do a great job of emulsifying. Maybe a quick clean with mineral spirits then a good rinse and possibly alcohol after? Just thinking outloud.
I'm concerned with the solvent contact time. The advisor from BagDude said to keep the solvent off the stitching! So as usual in our hobby it's try and see!

Dbear180

Dbear180

thanks, I'll try this. I didn't soak in the alcohol first. EXPENSIVE with 91% alcohol isn't it? My 91% was brushed on with a nail brush for 30 min. and a new bag is cheaper than a quart of 91% iso online. I also of course rinsed after. I don't have a power washer. Thank you for your reply.

Nah I think your thinking of booze alcohol, I mean antiseptic alcohol, the 5 dollar bottles you can get at wally world are more than enough. Fill the bottom of a plastic container like this. & then just use a garden hose to wash the bag after 👍 alcohol breaks it down enough that it should just rinse away.
I'm still using my first bottle of cleaning alcohol, I bought 3 thinking I'd need it but I didnt.

Dbear180

Dbear180

I'm concerned with the solvent contact time. The advisor from BagDude said to keep the solvent off the stitching! So as usual in our hobby it's try and see!

That is something I've learned with buying higher end bags(not saying your bags are bad at all). Boldt tells you straight up the frenchy bags can be fully submerged in alcohol & they have a two year warranty against bag failure. They were a little pricey but this may end up being a good example of why.

My old set fell apart & left all kinds of bag liner crap in the product... it was a bad time lol.

Top Bottom