1st Grow, Basic Questions

• Thread starter WickedTomboi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bones69

Bones69

I'm not entirely sure what was or is going on with that White Widow plant, but - I'm letting her do her thing and I'll see where it goes. Seems to be "stunted" to some degree, whereas the OG is growing like well...a weed. My girlfriend wants to grow her herbs inside the tent with the plants, she thinks maybe that would also help with odor? Anyone ever try going other little things like oregano, lavender, etc alongside their plants? I'm just paranoid it'll cause some kind of fucking parasite problem that I won't be able to figure out and then I'll be up the creek without a paddle.
As you grow your at some point are going to encounter some kind of parasite issue but if caught right away no problems. The people on this site will help you asap! Everyone here seems to be well tuned in what they do! As for LED during flower, No idea. I am a HID guy.

Bones69

Bones69

So the grow tent I have my seedlings in and - for the length of their vegetative life I guess, is like 5' tall max. The square footage of the area is 15ft total. Like I said, I just bought another tent to put beside it for the flowering stage (this way I can have more room vertically for the plants, cause the new tent is taller and also - more room = more plants?). Also, I have 2 400 watt ballasts - I suppose I could use one for each tent, but I also got this LED light. Check out the pics, it hasn't arrived yet.
Holly shit!!! Not only do I use smart pots but for veg happy frog is what I use! I would use your LED's a supplemental lighting and use that 400 watt hps. Check out my babies at 5 weeks old today using the smart pots and happy frog soil. Fucking bushes lmfao!
I am using GH flora grow and all GH products. Seems to work well for me.
IMG 0902

Another thing, most of this shit I'm getting from amazon.com (except the seeds). Should I be worried that I'm ordering this stuff online and having it sent to my house? I mean, there's no proof that I'm growing anything at all, much less weed but I suppose a person could put two and two together? ::shrugs:: just curious. Clearly people are buying it from amazon.com, cause it's for sale on there.

Anyway, here's pics of what I'm getting and/or already have:
View attachment 476431 View attachment 476432 View attachment 476433

The LED light I'd like to use for Flowering is:
Lvjing New Designed UFO 150w Led Plant Grow Light Lamp 150 Led Red + Blue for Hydroponic Plants Flowers Vegetables Greenhouse Hydro Lighting 85-265V (150w)
Question: will I need one of these for each plant? Could I use this supplementally along with the other 400 watt HPS?

The Grow Tent (for Flowering) is:
Apollo Horticulture 36"x36"x72" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent (3'x3'x6')

The Grow Tent (for Seedling/Vegetative is:
Xen-Lux Premium Indoor Hydroponic Plant Growing Room Tent - 4' x 2' x 5'

The lights I'm using for the Vegetative stage: (not using MH right now, using HPS but I have both bulbs)
Apollo Horticulture GLK400CT24E 400 Watt Grow Light Digital Dimmable HPS MH System for Plants Cool Tube Hood Set
View attachment 476434

The growing medium I chose to use is this soil: View attachment 476435 (mixed with Perlite)

I'm starting seedlings in solo cups and then moving them to Smart Pots:View attachment 476436 (at first I bought 2 gallon pots but now I have 3 gallon pots)

Perhaps all of this is a lot of information to take in, lol and perhaps I've already mentioned some of this in previous posts. Forgive me, it's really early in the morning I just got the first good nights sleep I've had in 7 years and well...wake and bake anyone?

Sidenote: anyone ever try hypnosis for anything? Pros/Cons? Thoughts? lol I'm serious though.....

P.S. just bought some Blueberry and Aurora Indica seeds, looking forward to that as well.

View attachment 476437

Bones69

Bones69

I strongly suggest you use the mh for veg over hps. Your plants are going to stretch like crazy!!! It takes more energy for a plant to feed if stretched where as a shorter stout plant will use much less energy to feed and you will get real nice results!

WickedTomboi

WickedTomboi

I strongly suggest you use the mh for veg over hps. Your plants are going to stretch like crazy!!! It takes more energy for a plant to feed if stretched where as a shorter stout plant will use much less energy to feed and you will get real nice results!
Funny I just saw this but decided about 3 hours ago to change it to MH lol.

Oh, and tell me why I'll run into parasite problem??? Give me a heads up.

Bones69

Bones69

Bones69 2 posts up said I might encounter some parasite issues that's why I mentioned it here again. (In case that was the cause of your "WTF"? Lol)
If you are using fox farm soil weather it be happy frog or ocean forest you will get fungas gnats at some point. I have been using this soil for years and It is not just fox farm soil it's any grow media. My grow room is spotless with 3 fans running and no standing water and sometimes yeah I get gnats but I keep the situation under control.
Like double j said it doesn't have to be that hard but this shit does happen.
And as for your lighting issue ever hear of the back of hand test, just put your hand right above your canopy, if its to hot for the back of your hand its too hot for your plants!!! Your light should be 12" to 18" tops above your canopy. Keep it higher and you will end up with tall lanky plants
http://www.growweedeasy.com/mh-hps-upgrade-guide. check this site out. I love growweedeasy. I read every topic on this site and to me probably the best and most informative site out there but click on this link I sent you and check it out.

WickedTomboi

WickedTomboi

If you are using fox farm soil weather it be happy frog or ocean forest you will get fungas gnats at some point. I have been using this soil for years and It is not just fox farm soil it's any grow media. My grow room is spotless with 3 fans running and no standing water and sometimes yeah I get gnats but I keep the situation under control.
Like double j said it doesn't have to be that hard but this shit does happen.
And as for your lighting issue ever hear of the back of hand test, just put your hand right above your canopy, if its to hot for the back of your hand its too hot for your plants!!! Your light should be 12" to 18" tops above your canopy. Keep it higher and you will end up with tall lanky plants
http://www.growweedeasy.com/mh-hps-upgrade-guide. check this site out. I love growweedeasy. I read every topic on this site and to me probably the best and most informative site out there but click on this link I sent you and check it out.
Been on that site too it's great and really easy read. Thank you all again, I am learning a lot by taking in information from you all and trying various things with the plants. Hey, hands on learning is the best kind. Sadly this morning I discovered that my white widow which was stunted anyway had been completely devoured by one of my cats so that sucked but moving on...salvaged the OG Kush, you'll see how it's coming from the following pics. Plus, germinated a bunch of new ones since I lost a few.

Question, when you have a female u pollinated plant (sensimilla?), do you get seeds in your bud? If it's "without seeds" it should mean just that right? So no seeds in your smoke? Just wondering as I have never smoked anything above average quality and the last few times my bud had seeds in it.
You see where the cat was eating the leaves?...

Shame cause looks like this plant was on her way to something decent ....

Bones69

Bones69

See what I tell ya this grower is on point to what we... Were taken as bout
To each is own! I just speak of my personal experience of 19 years of growing and especially using fox farms soil's. The soil works great for me that is the reason I never decided to switch but on the other hand just like Dunge stated bugs and fungus are just a thing we all get an close up look at eventually stay alert the worse it gets the harder the recovery!!! Wise words from an experienced cultivator!
The reason I stick with this soil is I know what to expect and always ready to do battle with these fuckers!!! I never start a grow without my gnat warfare! Cats yeah they love the plant and so does my dog she loves the shit!!!
Good luck!

WickedTomboi

WickedTomboi

To each is own! I just speak of my personal experience of 19 years of growing and especially using fox farms soil's. The soil works great for me that is the reason I never decided to switch but on the other hand just like Dunge stated bugs and fungus are just a thing we all get an close up look at eventually stay alert the worse it gets the harder the recovery!!! Wise words from an experienced cultivator!
The reason I stick with this soil is I know what to expect and always ready to do battle with these fuckers!!! I never start a grow without my gnat warfare! Cats yeah they love the plant and so does my dog she loves the shit!!!
Good luck!
Well bad news bears cause the cats finished off my plant I dunno how they got in I must have looked away for a split second. Anyway, starting from scratch with 9 seedlings....

WickedTomboi

WickedTomboi

Answers to all those questions can be found on the first pages of any cannabis cultivation book out there.
You have spent $100's on your setup and did not bother to get a $20 grow manual? - I don't know what's wrong with you.

"I have read that 400w lamp should be kept 1.5 ft from the canopy tops, has anyone got it closer/further, what were your experiences?" that's a good question.
"Hey I'm brand new here so why don't you slaves come up here tell me how to grow weed and shit before I come whip you", NO!
ummm..okay? Hostile much? I did buy a couple grow manuals, there's nothing "wrong" with me WTF? I was just asking to get a broader spectrum of opinions perhaps?
Maybe you need to smoke a bowl and chill out I don't hear anyone else complaining about my questions, sheesh SMDH :(

O

oregonmellow

You are doing o.k. Tomboi,just try not to over-think shit lol,"it*s the un-asked question that is stupid",Peace.

H

happy b

Anyway lets get this thread back on track.
i dont know if anyone answered the molasses question but i,ll tell you my experience with it sofar.first off i grow in organic soil useing bottled organic nutes.i started useing mollasses 3 grows ago.i had been wanting to try useing some bennies in my root zone so i bought Great White myco & i read that molasses is good for feeding the bennies which inturn feed your plants.so in essence your feeding the soil not the plant kind of thing.wether the plants were getting any goodness directly from the mollases im not 100% but i would say some mollases was used by the plant aswell as the bennies.eitherway the results spoke for themselves.about 30 hours after transplanting the first plants into new soil with a little bit of myco sprinkled into the hole your root ball goes into(the myco works best when it has direct contact with the roots)and watering them with 1 tbs per gallon of molasses in water t,here was fresh white REALLY FUZZY roots popping out the bottom AND the top of the soil.i kept adding mollases at that ratio (1tbs per gallon)to every feed and i was really impressed.my buds got chunkier and everything.i done a side by side were i gave one cut the works myco,mollasses nutes and the other just bloom.the results wer amazing.the one with just bloom had half the amount of bud as the one that had everything.i think i got a pic of the results.yes i hav.the one on the right is the one that just got bloom.
hope this helps.
20141213 214249

WickedTomboi

WickedTomboi

Wow @ the molasses thing! Very neat. I definitely wanted to throw the cat out the window but alas, he is still with me lol. It was my fault its over now I made a mistake and now I know better :)

Starting again and feeling more confident. Not overthinking anymore. Just having fun with it

H

happy b

Thats wat its all about.theyr only seeds after all.as u say wtb just hav fun with it.the best growers are the ones who enjoy doing it.

J

Jersey Fresh

Thats wat its all about.theyr only seeds after all.as u say wtb just hav fun with it.the best growers are the ones who enjoy doing it.
Wow @ the molasses thing! Very neat. I definitely wanted to throw the cat out the window but alas, he is still with me lol. It was my fault its over now I made a mistake and now I know better :)

Starting again and feeling more confident. Not overthinking anymore. Just having fun with it
I'm also a new grower, but I've read a few books and articles that specify unsulphered molasses, preferably organic. Also, regarding fungus knats, let the soil dry out between watering a, but not to the point of them wilting. The knats like a warm humid environment, so keeping the temp on the cooler side will help to control them too. A few knats won't hurt, but too many will harm the roots.
You ask a lot of good questions.

H

happy b

Thats right jersey fresh thsts good info about drying out the soil(its also good for your root zone and therfore the whole plant)but many people underestimate the damage a bad infestation of fungus gnats can do.they will take the vigor out your plants if not kept in check.iv also seen me putting just popped seedlings and seeds with just the tap root showing into infected soil (i didnt know till afterwards)and whithin two days all that was left of the seedling was the leaves and stem and the seed with the tap root ended up just a shell.the fg larvea munched every bit of root below the ground.

J

Jersey Fresh

Thats right jersey fresh thsts good info about drying out the soil(its also good for your root zone and therfore the whole plant)but many people underestimate the damage a bad infestation of fungus gnats can do.they will take the vigor out your plants if not kept in check.iv also seen me putting just popped seedlings and seeds with just the tap root showing into infected soil (i didnt know till afterwards)and whithin two days all that was left of the seedling was the leaves and stem and the seed with the tap root ended up just a shell.the fg larvea munched every bit of root below the ground.
Thanks, happy b. I've done enough gardening and yard work over the years to know a few of the basics. Cannabis seeds are super easy to germinate, but as you've shown good hygiene in soil and growing environment is important.

Dunge

Dunge

I let the soil dry well between waterings, alfalfa tea inoculated with Caps root or foliar, gnatrol with every watering, and fly traps for the adults.
Even dialed in some predatory nematodes, and still I catch adults in the traps.
Extinction seems a tall order for the variety endemic to my garden.
I exclude them from my cuttings with screens because like happy b says, grubs do like to eat roots.

Top Bottom