1st Grow - Master Kush, White Widow, Ak48 Dwc

• Thread starter ArmedGeek
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I would make a change from rockwool to rapid rooters... they are 10x easier to deal with... If you were gonna use rockwool then i might recommend, going from 1" cubes to 4" cubes in a drip, and once the roots have made it to the bottom, then you can transplant in to dwc... That way you have a developed root system in the rockwool... ready to branch out... This would also let you have a veg and a flower room, working in conjunction with each other.... Working with rockwool is a technique of itself...

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

Changing nutes today. Two have fairly long roots already, I would say about five inches from the pot. I'm using 2" rockwool and agree rapid rooters seem much better. Can I take apart the rockwool and carefully transplant into rapid rooters? Or should I leave it as is? My water is 1" away from the pot now that the roots hit the water. Since the roots are going I'll stop top watering around the edges and it will probably dry out fairly well.

Wrapped all buckets in aliminum ductting tape that's fairly thick in hopes of keeping slightly lower temps. Room temps have been between 73 and 77f but the water typically stays at 73f so we will see the difference wrapping makes. I also cut white foam poster board for the top of the pots to keep light out.

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Changing nutes today. Two have fairly long roots already, I would say about five inches from the pot. I'm using 2" rockwool and agree rapid rooters seem much better. Can I take apart the rockwool and carefully transplant into rapid rooters? Or should I leave it as is? My water is 1" away from the pot now that the roots hit the water. Since the roots are going I'll stop top watering around the edges and it will probably dry out fairly well.

Wrapped all buckets in aliminum ductting tape that's fairly thick in hopes of keeping slightly lower temps. Room temps have been between 73 and 77f but the water typically stays at 73f so we will see the difference wrapping makes. I also cut white foam poster board for the top of the pots to keep light out.
i would just leave as is... baby them roots along....

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

The two biggest plants have been in dwc for a week and 4 days or so. This is the Master Kush 1 and White Widow 1. I went a little lower on PPM, i'll up next week depending on how they do since i introduced rhino and piranha this week.

Nutes given today (total for 3gal of RO)
7ml Connoisseur grow A&B
11ml Piranha (roots)
5.5ml Rhino skin (silica)
Total = 217 ppm
PH = 5.8

IMG 20170527 184230725

IMG 20170526 064232913

IMG 20170526 064236962

Last edited:
ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

Just to recap man...i have 5 plants total after 1 bit the dust.... two of them are growing great which are pictured above. My other three girls have fallen behind as far as growth. I originally thought it was because i transplanted the two girls above 3-4 days earlier than the rest. But...I think i found the reason why their growing so slow compared to the other two. I mixed Calmag with Connoisseur grow part A

Connoisseur Grow A
Nitrogen 4%
Calcium 3.55%
Magnesium .9%
Iron 0.05%

Calmag
Nitrogen 2%
Calcium 3.2%
Magnesium 1.2%
Iron .1%

I didn't pay attention and used Calmag with Connoissuer Grow part A on the below girls. Clearly it's not needed. I'm no expert so can't say it's a nute lock out...but i didn't use Calmag together with Connoisseur grow A on the two pictures above that are growing well. If these below girls don't pull it together, i'll take clones of the two above and skip out on the AK48.

My nutes are lower for these girls compared to the two growing well.

4.5ml Connoisseur Grow A&B
8ml Piranha
2.4ml Rhino
149 PPM
PH 5.8
IMG 20170527 184254951

IMG 20170527 184321054 HDR

Last edited:
ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

Have yet to wrap the top of the pots to reflect heat. Germinating 6 more seeds, two have popped so far. I'll use this for another grow i'm starting, just waiting for a new light and tent. I'll have my Duolux 600 and a Spectrum King 400+ in a 4x8 tent. Just have to do some more research on my DIY rdwc for the tent. I wish i could cram more than 6 plants or so in a 4x8 :\ but if you wanna scrog and make room for a res...it would be cutting it close. I think ten plants would be nice in a 4x8 if done properly. But...i'm still a noob, i need to stop getting ahead of myself and sit back and enjoy this grow. They always say crawl before you walk...the problem is, when i do something i tend to go all out no matter what it is. it's a blessing....and a curse :]

IMG 20170527 184403074

IMG 20170527 184436055

IMG 20170527 184333160

Last edited:
G

Gre3nCr4ck

I know someone has already told you this but I will reiterate.. You DO NOT want to over water your plants.. What I mean by this is let the rock wool dry out before adding more water to them.. With the size of your plants it is most likely that the roots have not yet fully reached the water in your buckets and by keeping the rock wool wet it can cause over watering and starve the roots of oxygen. When you let the rock wool dry it provides oxygen and also forces the roots to grow out in search of water, which means that they will grow down and out of the rock wool searching for the water and nutes in your buckets. So make sure you let that stuff dry out in between each watering to allow for this to happen. Once they start to occupy the water in the buckets then your air pumps and air stones will provide the roots the oxygen they need to prevent over watering problems. Also make sure that you have PLENTY of bubbles throughout each bucket. I don't know what air stones you have in your buckets but they do sell circular stones that you can put in each bucket so that you are able to provide bubbles throughout the entire bucket instead of them being concentrated in one spot, this will allow the entire root system to get oxygen and not just one little section of the roots. This is just my opinion but I would suggest fairly strong air pumps and possibly one pump per bucket or 2 that way your are providing the root system for each plant with plenty of bubbles which means plenty of oxygen.

Now for something else.. Don't pull your plants just because you have some that are growing slower than others.. Just because they are not all growing at the same rate doesn't mean that they aren't healthy. Different plants and different strains do not always grow at the same rate. I have had plants that grew much slower than others that I had planted at the same time that produced amazing bud. Some plants will grow faster and stretch as they grow leaving more space in between nodes and others will grow a little slower and leave smaller spaces between nodes which will actually make the buds grow tighter together and more compact while the ones that stretch will look like they grow a little smaller buds that aren't as tight together and not quite as compact. One thing you could do to help these smaller plants is you can top off the bigger ones in order to keep the light the same distance to the smaller ones as it is the the faster growers so that they are still receiving equal amounts. But also, since you are planning on doing the scrog method, your net should keep the light equal distance between each plant since it will limit the height of each plant by making them bush out rather than grow tall. Although your bigger plants will end up taking up more space on the net than the slower ones, it will allow you to keep the lights the same distance from each one. You may end up with a couple of plants that don't grow quite as big but they can still produce great buds.

Now again, this is just all my opinion so if anyone here feels they would like to add to, or correct anything I have mentioned please feel free to do so.

Alright Q, take it easy with your babies and if you have any questions that I may be able to answer you know how to reach me.
Your dude, K

H

heisen

what he said.I never put the rockwool into the buckets till i see a tap root coming from the bottom.Every plant that i ever grew in rockwool put in basket without tap root was slow as hell to get going.I wait for that little tap and fill my buckets with 2 inches of pebbles in the baskets.turn the air on and fill till you see little bubbles busting under the pebbles.you will see alot of little bubbles popping.place the rock wool on top of the pebbles and fill in around it.that tap root will haul ass from that point.

since than i switched to jiffy pellets and have had the best success with germinating and pebbles.I feel like i had to babysit the rockwool to keep the perfect moisture and than it seemed like i was losing to many seeds.They would sprout and pop a tiny tail and thats it.nothing else.I got tired of dealing with it so made the switch and never looking back.root riots work real good to but take a little longer to get roots than the jiffys.

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

The plants that are small should be taking off soon. For two of them, it took a week and two days for the roots to come out of the bottom of the pot. I'm patient with this, but that seemed like a long time.

Master Kush 1

I was seeing some brown slime growing on one of the longer roots. Being my res (even wrapped) is 75 76f I got hydroguard and added 2ml total for 3gal. The slime has cleared up and the roots look healthy but now i'm starting to see burn. I'm at 217 ppm but i'm not really sure if the burn is due to nutes, or wind burn. If wind was an issue, i would assume i should see it on another plant. The ppm is currently staying the same, not going up or down which tells me i should be right on as far as how much i'm feeding.

IMG 20170531 104849411

IMG 20170531 104909085

White Widow 1

IMG 20170531 104957695

IMG 20170531 105016394 HDR

AK-48 2

Root is just now popping out, about time...
IMG 20170531 105107305

IMG 20170531 105129809

AK-48 1

She looks funky, but i haven't been watering around the edges of the pot forcing her roots to search for water.

IMG 20170531 105307419

IMG 20170531 105333518

IMG 20170531 105107305
ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

I was originally using 4" air disks but a few of them were duds. The ones that did work well put out alot of small bubbles, but the water wasn't really moving on the sides compared to the 2" air stones so that's what i'm using for now. One problem with the air disks is the fact they have to lay flat on the bottom of the bucket. They do this by using suction cups. I noticed if the suction comes loose and the disk turns side ways or moves to the side of the bucket, it leaves large amounts of water with no air in which could lead to water becoming stagnant. Being that i plan to scrog i won't be able to lift the pot lids to really adjust the air disk. I have a few more pumps, i'll drop another air line in each bucket so i have two stones in each.

IMG 20170531 105529286

IMG 20170531 105613090

IMG 20170531 1054569761

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

What are you guys using for air stones? My 2" stones blow out strait huge bubbles. I can't use the air disks because i won't be able to adjust them if the suction comes undone. I was thinking about round air diffusers but their pricey. Preferably something i can find on amazon prime.

H

heisen

i have those same round air stones.They are shit.the suction cups are junk.i paid good money for them also.One thing you have to soak them in bleach after every grow and clean the tops with a wire brush real good.
Other than the suction cups they work good but i will go back to the regular ones after they fall apart,

You gonna do 2 things here.1 your gonna love DWC and innovate it to work for you,2 your gonna do well on this grow.Your off to a good start and listening to sound advice.

H

heisen

What are you guys using for air stones? My 2" stones blow out strait huge bubbles. I can't use the air disks because i won't be able to adjust them if the suction comes undone. I was thinking about round air diffusers but their pricey. Preferably something i can find on amazon prime.
i got the tube diffusers.As a matter of fact i picked up 6 today and they are junk.Hardly any air and all the air was huge bubbles.they didnt look very good in the water so i pulled off the suctions and threw them in the trash.Make good with the stones you have.you might have to get creative but them stones work.Im running 6 on a 70L pump and 3 on a 45L pump.If your pump is a 45 you may need to up the pump cause my 45 barely makes enough that im comfortable with

H

heisen

just went up and saw your pic.your cutting it close with the 45 and 5 of them stones.But since your in regular bubblers and not water chilled recirc you might have to stick with low air otherwise your water might get to warm.im running 3 of them on a 45 and like i said its barely enough and i wouldnt add 1 more to the line let alone 2.

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

just went up and saw your pic.your cutting it close with the 45 and 5 of them stones.But since your in regular bubblers and not water chilled recirc you might have to stick with low air otherwise your water might get to warm.im running 3 of them on a 45 and like i said its barely enough and i wouldnt add 1 more to the line let alone 2.

I have five bubblers hooked up to an ecoair commerical plus. It's rated at 793 gph so i should be getting around 158 per stone with 1 valve closed off. What you said makes sense, if i add more air i could risk higher water temps so i sat a fan directly in front of the air intake and water temps dropped by 1 or 2 degrees. Glad you tried out the tube diffusers before i did ;) i won't be purchasing any today. I'll pick up some extra air hose and drop another stone in each bucket to get some more movement and keep an eye on temps.

ArmedGeek

ArmedGeek

When i check on the girls prior to lights out, they always seem under stress from the long light cycle. I keep the whole house at 67 f constantly, but prior to lights out i've been hitting upward to 79 f in the tent. I crank the exhaust fan but it doesn't seem to help out much. 6 hours later when the lights come back on, the plants look extremely healthy and happy but look sad around 10 hours later as heat climbs. I have a humidifier i run outside of the tent that puts me at 48 rh. If i put it inside the tent on its lowest setting i sit at 68 rh. They say the sweet spot for veg is between 50-70 but the higher the humidity, the more lleaves will collect water from the air thus taking less water from the roots. It might not make much difference, but i'm trying to dial in my humidity to help lower temps. What is the sweet stop for humidity during veg? Not looking for a range, more of a set number i can control.

G

Gre3nCr4ck

The plants that are small should be taking off soon. For two of them, it took a week and two days for the roots to come out of the bottom of the pot. I'm patient with this, but that seemed like a long time.

Master Kush 1

I was seeing some brown slime growing on one of the longer roots. Being my res (even wrapped) is 75 76f I got hydroguard and added 2ml total for 3gal. The slime has cleared up and the roots look healthy but now i'm starting to see burn. I'm at 217 ppm but i'm not really sure if the burn is due to nutes, or wind burn. If wind was an issue, i would assume i should see it on another plant. The ppm is currently staying the same, not going up or down which tells me i should be right on as far as how much i'm feeding.

View attachment 705742
View attachment 705747

White Widow 1

View attachment 705748
View attachment 705749

AK-48 2

Root is just now popping out, about time...
View attachment 705751
View attachment 705752

AK-48 1

She looks funky, but i haven't been watering around the edges of the pot forcing her roots to search for water.

View attachment 705753
View attachment 705754
To me that does look a little like you have some nute burn going on. Nute burn usually starts around the edges of the leaves like it is on yours. I would probably suggest backing off the nutes for a week and just top your buckets with just water for a little bit. They are still pretty young so they don't need much as far as nutes go right now.

Top Bottom