1st time Grow: 250w Red CFL micro...

• Thread starter usualsuspect
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

usualsuspect

At the moment there is a couple of inch gap the full height of the box, where I'm having to keep the door open anyway. Temps are staying at a constant 80F. Tomorrow my dad is helping me install a 120mm PC fan and I'm painting the inside of the box in Mat White paint. I figure that, especially once I've got the 125w Blue in there for the vegging rather than the 250w Red, I should be fine to have the door closed and keep it nicely sealed.

C

casmel

Ok thats good . Keep in mind that the box must be lightsealed at the darktime of the plant or it will go hermy and you cant get any buds out of it . Other than that let them veg a bit , the stem should be the thickness of your pinky finger almost then put it to flower 12/12 time cycle . GL

U

usualsuspect

Now re-potted...

Since the first pots they were in were only 4" high, I've gone ahead and re-potted them into decent, large pots. Two of them had reached a couple of inches high, with the third trailing somewhat (everything has been the same for all plants so perhaps it's just the strain)

Tip: If you've got a perlite/soil mix, make sure that you water and compress the soil before you transplant them into a bigger pot!

I made the mistake of transplanting dryish soil with the first one and it started to crumble and collapse on me! Seems OK though, and the other two went much better. I increased the perlite content in these pots, It's roughly 2 parts compost to 1 part Perlite.

The roots had reached bottom so glad I did it now. Have everything I need now to complete the box so I shall post plenty of pics and a step-by-step process regarding installing a fan tomorrow! Then my babies can enjoy a fully functioning box! WHOOP!

S

smashed1

ha there usualsuspect its lookig good so far brow check this thread out CANNABIS COLLEGE WITH LBH AND FRIENDS, riten by LBH its in here, diary sec top of page 2 its beter than most books hegrows scrog step by step it will help u out heaps brow good luck. im interested 2 see how ur grow gos.. ow an its very easy 2 understand

U

usualsuspect

Phew... sweating my ass off here but looking good so far. Covered in white paint at the moment so I'll wait till my gf will let me touch her iphone before I get the last couple of shots, then I'll stick em all up. Fan/exhaust installed, holes for the light fixing drilled, inside looking nice and white and Bam! my 125w Blue has just turned up just in time.

Do I need to wait a certain period of time after the paint has dried till I put the plants back in or is it good to go as soon as it's all dry?

U

usualsuspect

Rigging up and installing the fan and exhaust grill...

So, down to the nitty-gritty and pretty messy DIY. First things first I took the 120mm PC fan that I ordered from ebay, snipped off the computer plugs and stripped away about an inch of the wire casing from the red and black wires:

IMG_00502.JPG

The yellow one is to do with speed control I believe and isn't necessary, so I trimmed it well down and out of the way.

As a power supply, I used a 5v plug (the fan was 12v so it would run slower than it could.. if temperature becomes an issue I could always find a 9v or 12v power supply instead) from which I snipped the phone plug and again stripped away around an inch of wire casing. Inside was a black and white wire, from which I again stripped away about an inch of the casing.

IMG_00493.JPG

Black goes to black, which left red to go to white:

IMG_00513.JPG

Twist the two wires together and fold the ends over. Repeat with the other pair of wires and then get something to join them together. My dads an electrician so he had this handy (not sure what the technical name is!):

IMG_00523.JPG

It's simply a case of inserting the twisted copper wires into the hole and, with a screwdriver, tightening the screws down onto the wire as tight as it will go.

And that's it. A completed PC fan conversion:

IMG_00533.JPG

Next came cutting the holes into the box. I decided on the corners I did because it meant that I could use the box in the future tipped either length-ways of side-on and still have the fan at the bottom and the exhaust at the top. This is important as you want to draw air in at the bottom where it's cool and have the exhaust exiting the warm air at the top of the box. Also, stick 'em in the back so it's more discreet!

Take a drill with a hole cutting piece and drill through so as to create space for a jig-saw to start it's work. Make a hole slightly smaller than what you need and finish with a wood file so that you can get as tight a fit as possible. Done right, you can gently hammer the fan into place with a tight enough fit that you don't need glue or screws. The exhaust grill I got has a square plastic mount with a circular bit to insert in the hole. I plan to stick a carbon filter over this when flowering starts.

Before putting them in:

IMG_00562.JPG

And after:

IMG_00585.JPG

And when I say gently hammer, I mean it. Dunno if you can see, but I took a bit of plastic of the fan frame, luckily it didn't effect the build negatively:

IMG_00592.JPG

Next, I sawed a couple of wedges and nailed them under the lid so that it held it in place (the double hinges would have been a pain what with the light hanging from there) and drilled a couple of holes through the lid for the cords holding the light in place. Remember, check your reflector and bulb measurements because inevitably the bulb wont be central in the reflector. This means that the holes in the lid need to be off-centre to ensure that the bulb itself is central:

IMG_00553.JPG

I'm using washing line because, once tied, it stays tied and yet is very easy to undo at the same time.

Next, I painted the entire insides with mat white paint, waited for it to dry, fed the washing line through the holes and light reflector and tied them up to a couple of nails hammered diagonally into the top of the box. I've decided to go lid ways up because it offers more surface area to scrog and I think I've just enough height to do it this way. Here's the almost end product:

IMG_00602.JPG

The way the lid closes is a slight pain because I have to peek through an almost closed lid to make sure of the height of the lamp. I'm planning on a more adjustable method on top of the lid for raising and lowering the lights, perhaps with inch by inch markings on the cord marking out its height in the box.

I also had to make a last minute notch where the lid closes on the box to allow for the power lead of the light (slight oversight there but that's OK, t'was but a two minute job). And so here it is! The almost final looking box as seen from the outside:

IMG_00623.JPG

Pretty discreet huh? And the fan is silent as. Temperature is staying a steady 79F with the lid closed so may be forced to change to a higher voltage power source for the fan once the 250w red is back in there.

Finally, here's just one more pic showing the current state of the plants:

IMG_00612.JPG

Hope they like their new home and I hope this has been of use to people. Will keep you posted on my progress!

B

Buddy Franklin

Hey, great detailed diary, I am doing a very similar grow (my first also), what k are your lights ? I am using a 24w / 6500k spot light and three 15w / 4000k spotties... I have had similar issues...

I have found that :

It is a pain in the ass to keep lifting lid - especially when my lights are on the lid.

The CFL needs to be as close as possible to the plant (mine are about an inch away) and it's hard to keep the lights at correct height and need to constantly adjust them to rate of growth.

The fan needs to be hitting your plant (well the wind does) as this strengthens the stem and growth.

I think that you may need more lights to cover the sides and more area - especially when the plants grow.

Cheers mate.

S

smashed1

i recon if u guna srog em doesnt realy mater that much about stem streanth, but u might have abit of truble with hight

D

dailychronic

this thread is gangster, everyone should have one of these

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

You say you plan on scrogging these and you are starting from seed. I would say thats not such a good idea. If one of your plants turns out to be male it will be difficult to pull it out if you are scrogged.

Otherwise things are looking pretty sweet. If you want to thicken up the stalks without adding another fan give em some silica.

U

usualsuspect

Interesting, hadn't heard of using silica Celtic. I'm using feminised seeds, dunno if it's a guaranteed female that way but I'm kinda hoping so!

Buddy, i'm using a 125w 6400k Blue for the vegging, then I'm gonna switch to a 250w 2400k or 2600k (can't remember which it is off the top of my head) for the flowering. All three plants are preeetty much under the light, and the box is hopefully compact enough and white enough for that to suffice. Maybe if I rotate the plants until they are undergoing the SCROG it might help?

As for height, yep Smashed, tis gonna be tight. I'm just going to have to really try and get that horizontal growin' goin' and make sure I start to flower early enough. Maybe silica will help with that?

Oh, and cheers Chronic! Happy to help!

U

usualsuspect

Rather silly mistake but I put the holes in halfway across the lid without taking into account the extra 6 inches of roof space behind the lid, so the light wasn't central! Nevermind, I've screwed in a couple of eyelets on the underside of the lid which are actually central and run the cord through these and out of the holes. Problem averted.

One thing I wanted to ask was how dark it needs to be during the dark periods. I have it in a room that can stay with curtains drawn so the room itself is pretty dark to begin with. There is a slight crack (like 1mm) where the door doesn't quite fit tight but the join is angled upward so not much light can get in there anyhow. The exhaust grill and the fan don't have covers on but again, being against the wall means minimal light anyway. I'm thinking that au naturale night-time isn't exactly pitch black anyway but do I need to really plug all gaps and holes and so make it really pitch black? As it is it's pretty damn dark.

U

usualsuspect

Temperature seems to be hovering around the 82F mark.. Upper limit of ideal is apparently 78F. Is this difference enough to warrant finding a higher voltage power supply to my fan and bring it down slightly?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Your temps are not really out of range. Especially if you add CO2 to the equation.

I was taught that your night cycle needs to be completely dark. No light leakage at all. I'm sure you could get away with some, but why take the chance. I would turn off all the lights in the room while your lights are on in the box. Find any light leaks and cover those area's until you can't see any light coming out of the box. I imagine if you can do that it will be the opposite and light won't be getting in.

Silica helps strengthen the plant and make it more heat resistant. Here's a link to what a buddy turned me onto. ProSilicate. Its not really pricey and a little goes a long way.

Feminised seeds do not necessarily guarantee female plants.

I just picked up a pack of seeds and after watching what several others have done I popped half of them and I am going to veg them out for 6 weeks then flip em. At that point I will take about 4 clones from each plant. If any males show up I will pull them from the room and toss the clones. If I get any that hermie out I will kill off those clones. Whatever produces the best, will in my eyes be the strongest of the group and this will be my future Mother plant.

U

usualsuspect

I think I'll do that when I have the time. Right now I need a harvest ASAP, for the extra cash and for the smoke! This three weeks is now the longest I've not smoked since I started 10 years ago (not that I'm gonna smoke from this anytime time soon but...)!!!

Even if it means flipping them early and not getting my maximum yield, I'd love to have the crop harvested and dried by Christmas... it'd save on buying Christmas presents too!

You are right about the light obviously... I think I'll just use gaffa tape and create a skirt around the cracks, see if that helps. If I put a carbon filter over the exhaust now, does that block much light?

U

usualsuspect

So, two of my plants are doing much, much better than the third. I've made the decision that my box is probably best sized for a two-plant scrog anyhow and I'm giving the smaller one to my dad! Will add a pic soon.

S

Sense I. Milla

Best of luck man! I love these small personal grows!

Sub'd

-Sense

U

usualsuspect

Just nine days since beginning germination...

Two of my plants continue to grow superbly, looking lovely and healthy and growing new leaf sets everyday it seems.

Here's plant number 1:

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_01242.JPG

Plant number 2:

IMG_0125.JPG

And the slowly falling behind plant number 3:

IMG_0126.JPG

After starting out a day or so behind, she's slipped to 2/3 days behind. Hence I'm shipping her out and giving prime spots to 1 & 2 who are now both as under the light as can be (will be plenty for the scrog). 3's in the corner of the box now, just being kept alive till my dad has a light sorted.

How big should I let them get before I insert the aforementioned nutrient pellet? I'm watering every other day, when the soil seems fairly dry.

C

casmel

I think I'll do that when I have the time. Right now I need a harvest ASAP, for the extra cash and for the smoke! This three weeks is now the longest I've not smoked since I started 10 years ago (not that I'm gonna smoke from this anytime time soon but...)!!!

Even if it means flipping them early and not getting my maximum yield, I'd love to have the crop harvested and dried by Christmas... it'd save on buying Christmas presents too!

You are right about the light obviously... I think I'll just use gaffa tape and create a skirt around the cracks, see if that helps. If I put a carbon filter over the exhaust now, does that block much light?

It probably should block the light and when the odour isnt a problem then you might go with a longer ducting GL . Im two weeks into flowering and nicely into the Christmas :rock

Top Bottom