1st time grower, seed problems?

• Thread starter Budw3is3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Fuck. I have traces of a spider web on my plant.

I have checked them all but can't see anything.

Any tricks / tips on these little bastards please share.

Bud

Wolfe

Wolfe

Fuck. I have traces of a spider web on my plant.

I have checked them all but can't see anything.

Any tricks / tips on these little bastards please share.

Bud
They are how small now? I wouldn’t worry to much about treating seedlings with anything but water. You could use warmer water and spray the plants if you are super concerned. Some spiders are actually good for your plants. It’s the tiny microscopic ones that seem to cause the problems. Normal spiders you shouldn’t be concerned about. So you’ll have to get a pic of the plants and web for better diagnosis.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I have to ask.. how exactly does the light affect a seeds ability to sprout?

And how can you not veg plants in 12/12 I'm not saying it's as effective as other light cycles but you absolutely could.
My guess is most plants people tend to grow are photoperiod driven so if they are put on 12/12 right away I’m not saying they won’t sprout but if they are regular seeds that’s a budding cycle. Not a vegetive cycle. If your plan is to grow something and bud it directly from seed by all means go for 12/12. I personally don’t bud plants from seed and like to veg them as most people would. Also considering it’s up to the genetics to decide if they like that cycle or not. Some strains might not. Some might do fine. But again 12/12 is a budding cycle. If you have no plans to veg your plants and have very small plants. Ok...

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My guess is most plants are photoperiod driven so if they are put on 12/12 right away I’m not saying they won’t sprout but if they are regular seeds that’s a budding cycle. Not a vegetive cycle. If your plan is to grow something and bud it directly from seed by all means go for 12/12. I personally don’t bud plants from seed and like to veg them as most people would. Also considering it’s up to the genetics to decide if they like that cycle or not. Some strains might not. Some might do fine. But again 12/12 is a budding cycle. If you have no plans to veg your plants and have very small plants. Ok...
Umm light does not reach the seeds in the soil and it has no bearing on seeds sprouting. Also intensity needs to be taken into account with light cycle but I won't get into that.

Photoperiod plants from seeds won't go straight into flower. They will not flower until the plant is mature no matter what the light cycle is. This takes generally 3-6 weeks. Strain has nothing to do with if they grow under a certain light cycle but more so light intensity or combination of both.

There is a lot more to this but I'm heading out to work.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I've started all of my regs off under 12/12 for the last couple months- as they differentiate they get topped, repotted, and put under 19/5 to veg. Then, of course, flipped to flower under 11.5/13.5 when they're the right size.

You're definitely right in that how they react depends on their degree of autoflowering.

For whatever it's worth, I think that the light doesn't reach the seed per se, but things like the evaporation on the surface might be a factor in orienting how the seedling breaks the surface.

Wolfe

Wolfe

Umm light does not reach the seeds in the soil and it has no bearing on seeds sprouting. Also intensity needs to be taken into account with light cycle but I won't get into that.

Photoperiod plants from seeds won't go straight into flower. They will not flower until the plant is mature no matter what the light cycle is. This takes generally 3-6 weeks. Strain has nothing to do with if they grow under a certain light cycle but more so light intensity or combination of both.

There is a lot more to this but I'm heading out to work.
All I’m saying is most people tend to put the plant on a veg cycle and don’t go 12/12 from seed. If you want to have no veg cycle. Go for it. I’ve seen people do 12/12 and the plants are considerably smaller. So if that’s what you’re going for... Personally I don’t use that method. But to each their own. I’m telling the guy who’s never grown that most people use a vegetive cycle. I have my lights on 24 hours a day when I start them. Also I start other plants besides cannabis. I’m in and out of the room all day so I don’t like to mess with light cycles personally. Hey if that’s your thing go for it. Again, I’m trying to help the newbie. I’m not trying to grow small plants for myself. I need the medicine so I need to be able to produce more for myself which requires a veg stage.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I've started all of my regs off under 12/12 for the last couple months- as they differentiate they get topped, repotted, and put under 19/5 to veg. Then, of course, flipped to flower under 11.5/13.5 when they're the right size.

You're definitely right in that how they react depends on their degree of autoflowering.

For whatever it's worth, I think that the light doesn't reach the seed per se, but things like the evaporation on the surface might be a factor in orienting how the seedling breaks the surface.
Interesting amount of light changes. Good to hear people’s methods.
I suppose you could start it and switch it around. Just wondering what kind of stress that puts on the plant. Some might be ok with it. Some maybe not..

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Interesting amount of light changes. Good to hear people’s methods.
I suppose you could start it and switch it around. Just wondering what kind of stress that puts on the plant. Some might be ok with it. Some maybe not..

Yeah it started because I wanted to use different sized pots for the males and females (1 gal vs 3 gal), but there's no way to know which is which with regs until after the flip, and by then repotting gets much more complicated. This way I use about a cup of dirt per plant total until they differentiate (or I kill them for being not good enough), then I can repot to the size that I need. Another added bonus is being able to eliminate plants with herming tendencies early.

The topping takes care of any revegging delay since without the flowering bits there's nothing to reveg! 😄

I'm thinking of it as part of stress testing for pollen chucking since I plan on breeding with most of the regs that I grow.

Wolfe

Wolfe

People tend to over complicate the plant. Keep it simple, but if you want to experiment that’s fine right, it’s on your dime and time. Most people who are just starting are seeking methods that are most common and easy. Is this guy growing autos or something. I feel like I’m missing something here? Most people choose 18/6 for veg and 12/12 when they want to flower. I’ve done it this way as far as I can remember. Not that I wouldn’t mind experimenting I just can’t afford to risk making a mistake that would cost me my production of medicine. I didn’t say it wouldn’t sprout in 12/12, I just said it’s not a common method. And some strains might react differently than others starting from that cycle. If that’s your thing. Hey go for it. Some people have great success with all kinds of methods. Phenotypes for sure adapted to their light cycles through climate and geographical evolution. That’s the reason Auto’s exist in the first place. Ruderalis and other strains that were in various climates with different light cycles. Indica being shorter light cycles and sativa longer. Ruderalis even shorter.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

All I’m saying is most people tend to put the plant on a veg cycle and don’t go 12/12 from seed. If you want to have no veg cycle. Go for it. I’ve seen people do 12/12 and the plants are considerably smaller. So if that’s what you’re going for... Personally I don’t use that method. But to each their own. I’m telling the guy who’s never grown that most people use a vegetive cycle. I have my lights on 24 hours a day when I start them. Also I start other plants besides cannabis. I’m in and out of the room all day so I don’t like to mess with light cycles personally. Hey if that’s your thing go for it. Again, I’m trying to help the newbie. I’m not trying to grow small plants for myself. I need the medicine so I need to be able to produce more for myself which requires a veg stage.
I agree with you. It's not ideal but veg is a phase the plant is in not the light cycle it's under. I just wanted to correct the fact that light does not play a role in germination and Infact seed exposure to light can have negative effects.

Also the fact that just because it's under 12/12 does not mean it will flower as plants from seed take 3-6weeks to reach maturity. So before they reach maturity and then triggered to flower they are in veg no matter what light cycle they are under.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I agree with you. It's not ideal but veg is a phase the plant is in not the light cycle it's under. I just wanted to correct the fact that light does not play a role in germination and Infact seed exposure to light can have negative effects.

Also the fact that just because it's under 12/12 does not mean it will flower as plants from seed take 3-6weeks to reach maturity. So before they reach maturity and then triggered to flower they are in veg no matter what light cycle they are under.
Ok thanks for that clarification. I don’t use that cycle so I can’t verify from experience.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

People tend to over complicate the plant. Keep it simple, but if you want to experiment that’s fine right, it’s on your dime and time. Most people who are just starting are seeking methods that are most common and easy. Is this guy growing autos or something. I feel like I’m missing something here? Most people choose 18/6 for veg and 12/12 when they want to flower. I’ve done it this way as far as I can remember. Not that I wouldn’t mind experimenting I just can’t afford to risk making a mistake that would cost me my production of medicine. I didn’t say it wouldn’t sprout in 12/12, I just said it’s not a common method. And some strains might react differently than others starting from that cycle. If that’s your thing. Hey go for it. Some people have great success with all kinds of methods. Phenotypes for sure adapted to their light cycles through climate and geographical evolution. That’s the reason Auto’s exist in the first place. Ruderalis and other strains that were in various climates with different light cycles. Indica being shorter light cycles and sativa longer. Ruderalis even shorter.
Again my post was not about optimal light conditions but rather correcting inaccurate information.

Hedonisticpsycho

Hedonisticpsycho

Amen brother.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I agree with this advice , especially for a new grower , not sure of the Benifit of starting 12/12
I would consider it a bad habit unless you are experienced and doing it with a lot of knowledge behind you ...
Just my opinion ....

red_bull179

red_bull179

seeds can be very fustrating .... i use to soak them 12h befor i plant them and allways use a warm nano dome or a place where they wont get much light for couple days.... after that i use transision for add some air flow to them i twist my bukets an hours a day then 3hrs... then can pop the bukets open half the days doing that till they are abouth 6 or 8 inc talls...i preffers 18/6 for seedling since tap roots are very fragiles i use a bukets home mabe with alu foils and a stadarts Seedling lamp and seedling come very easy with that methods

Bukets 3
Bukets 2
Bukets
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I agree with this advice , especially for a new grower , not sure of the Benifit of starting 12/12
I would consider it a bad habit unless you are experienced and doing it with a lot of knowledge behind you ...
Just my opinion ....

Oh yeah, I wasn't recommending that new growers use the same light cycles as I do. I intentionally overcomplicate things to optimize growing in the spaces that I have. Just saying that there are benefits to thinking of the veg stage as independent from hours of light that the plant receives.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Oh yeah, I wasn't recommending that new growers use the same light cycles as I do. I intentionally overcomplicate things to optimize growing in the spaces that I have. Just saying that there are benefits to thinking of the veg stage as independent from hours of light that the plant receives.
Hey kanzeon , I wasn't referring to you though , I was addressing hedon with his kiss technique

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Anybody heard of introducing ladybirds into the enviroment to kill spider mites?

My understanding is that spider mites can ruin crops and ladybirds will not damage the crop?

I'm just seeing a few cob-webs etc

Bud

Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

The KISS technique is tried and true! I'm also a fan of the KELP technique in general.

(Keep Eating Lots of Pizza) 😄
I've heard that before but the saying I heard is keep eating lots of pussy
Anybody heard of introducing ladybirds into the enviroment to kill spider mites?

My understanding is that spider mites can ruin crops and ladybirds will not damage the crop?

I'm just seeing a few cob-webs etc

Bud
What is a lady bird lol ? U mean ladybugs ya ladybugs do the job .

Top Bottom