1st time grower, seed problems?

• Thread starter Budw3is3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Are those COB? if so, they shouldn't need to be that close......that said, if they're COB your seedling shouldn't be stretching like that .....

Also to note, if a seedling stretches like that under those conditions, those lights will not be adequate as a maturing plant requires astronomically more light.

Cheers
The lights I have are Migro 600:

Based on the stretching do you think the intensity needs turning up?

Thanks Bud

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
The lights I have are Migro 600:

Based on the stretching do you think the intensity needs turning up?

Thanks Bud

MIGRO eh? GREAT CHOICE!!!!! I'm always leary of frying them when they're so young, but the seedlings definitely shouldn't be stretching that far with a quality light like you have being so close. If you've already moved that one into it's home I think you're safe if you do it gradually and slowly my friend. Again, great choice on your LEDS! Those are very powerful, so be careful 😎

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

MIGRO eh? GREAT CHOICE!!!!! I'm always leary of frying them when they're so young, but the seedlings definitely shouldn't be stretching that far with a quality light like you have being so close. If you've already moved that one into it's home I think you're safe if you do it gradually and slowly my friend. Again, great choice on your LEDS! Those are very powerful, so be careful 😎
Im wondering is he has 3K spectrum? that will have some stretch in seedling stage

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

The lights are really good quality, can't stress that enough and the service was easy. In the hands of a novice I'm not doing them justice at the moment.

I contacted Shane at Migro who has been really helpful, wish I asked earlier (you may have seen some of his videos on YouTube, worth a look... good honest reviews).

14 inches above the seedling with the setting at 1/5 / 20% of the dial is the Migro recommendation.

Thanks

Bud

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The lights are really good quality, can't stress that enough and the service was easy. In the hands of a novice I'm not doing them justice at the moment.

I contacted Shane at Migro who has been really helpful, wish I asked earlier (you may have seen some of his videos on YouTube, worth a look... good honest reviews).

14 inches above the seedling with the setting at 1/5 / 20% of the dial is the Migro recommendation.

Thanks

Bud
No doubt the light are good quality. It's the color temperature that can make a difference. A more red leaning spectrum like 3000k is great for flower but can have some stretch when used for seedlings. A more Blue leaning spectrum like 4-5000k will keep plants shorter but not as beneficial for flower.

QuindariousGooch

QuindariousGooch

There’s a lot of germination methods. I use a glass of water in a cabinet and drop the seeds in such glass. After a few days you should the the first root developing.
And, sometimes you just have to insert a finger in the dirt and drop a seed.

careful with those lights
I have a question regarding paper towels and seeds and glass jars for germination. Why is this done? What is the reason for it, is there a benefit? Why wouldn't you just put the seed into the media you're going to germinate it in and decrease the risk of damaging either meristem? Everyone does it but no one can tell me what the benefit is outside of it's cool to see it.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I have a question regarding paper towels and seeds and glass jars for germination. Why is this done? What is the reason for it, is there a benefit? Why wouldn't you just put the seed into the media you're going to germinate it in and decrease the risk of damaging either meristem? Everyone does it but no one can tell me what the benefit is outside of it's cool to see it.
Because people who have tried both claim it helps a bit. Personally I just put it in water and wait for the seed to crack open (24h max) and then drop it in a jiffy pellet, which I use bc of drainage and nutes combo. So long as I know the seed is trying, I leave it alone!

The first guide I read claimed this was a bit less effective but idk, it's worked so far.

bigslimdawg79

bigslimdawg79

moisture + darkness and you control how long they get before putting them under a light!

mancorn

mancorn

I'm with you. I see no reason to be fiddling with seedlings in paper towels. I like to crack then in water just to make sure it's viable, but then straight to medium.

dire wolf

dire wolf

One reason is because the environment stays more stable in the towel , plate , many people won't just create a stable environment for seedlings in soil , the constantly move them , looking at them , overwater them , or dry them , move them too close to lights etc , and when they can't see the tail poking out , like you can see in a Baggie , then they anxiously start digging the seeds up to see what's going on under there and either disturbing the seed or screwing it up completely , well those are my thoughts anyway........

QuindariousGooch

QuindariousGooch

moisture + darkness and you control how long they get before putting them under a light!
Moisture and darkness they would get back planting normally. What did you mean by controlling"how long they get before putting them under a light". What are they getting by soaking etc that they don't get by planting?

Top Bottom