1st time grower, seed problems?

• Thread starter Budw3is3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Hello, this is my first grow and post.

I purchased 10 Blue Gelato seeds from Barney's Farm.

I have set them in rockwool starter plugs (which had been soaked for 24hrs in RO water). Placed in a dome with a heat mat from Amazon set at a temp of 25ºC which can go up and down by 5ºC which isn't ideal but kept between 21ºC - 32ºC.

As at today, I'm into the 6th day. On the 3rd day the big fella arrived but nothing since (I do think another is starting to punch through, please see picture).

The light is LED and has been on 24/7, today I lowered the light and turned the brightness up to try and help the lanky seed out. Both lights are on because otherwise they won't work individually.

I haven't let the plugs go dry (just using RO water with no nutrients, the humidity has remained high and water using a syringe little and often to keep moist but not soaking wet.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Bud

1st time grower seed problems
1st time grower seed problems 2
1st time grower seed problems 3
1st time grower seed problems 4
1st time grower seed problems 5
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi welcome to the farm, I think the light is to strong to intense it and the heat spiking on your mat
and 24/7 is not recommended to start seed off these factors are causing the plant to Etiolate . regards OD .

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Hi welcome to the farm, I think the light is to strong to intense it and the heat spiking on your mat
and 24/7 is not recommended to start seed off these factors are causing the plant to Etiolate . regards OD .
Thanks for response. What action would you recommend? Thanks

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

I thought that turning the light up would help the stretchy plant?

dire wolf

dire wolf

How many seeds did you germinate in this batch ? Did you begin germination in the cubes with the lights "on " ?
Not off to a good start ,read up on germinating
Paper towel in a ziplock on a plate in the dark for 24 to 48 hours would have given you better results , you're walking on thin ice , barneys seeds are expensive , be careful

Last edited:
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

How many seeds did you germinate in this batch ? Did you begin germination in the cubes with the lights "on " ?
Not off to a good start ,read up on germinating
Paper towel in a ziplock on a plate in the dark for 24 to 48 hours would have given you better results , you're walking on thin ice , barneys seeds are expensive , be careful
Yes I done a lot of research and followed the below... mainly because I was told the paper towel method was riskier for hydro in rockwool:

Yes I started to germinate in the rockwool (seeds covered up) all 10 of them.

Thanks for the advice. I have turned off the light and lifted the lid on the propagation unit. Fingers crossed.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Ok good luck keep us posted . Od ,

Rooke

Rooke

Hello, this is my first grow and post.

I purchased 10 Blue Gelato seeds from Barney's Farm.

I have set them in rockwool starter plugs (which had been soaked for 24hrs in RO water). Placed in a dome with a heat mat from Amazon set at a temp of 25ºC which can go up and down by 5ºC which isn't ideal but kept between 21ºC - 32ºC.

As at today, I'm into the 6th day. On the 3rd day the big fella arrived but nothing since (I do think another is starting to punch through, please see picture).

The light is LED and has been on 24/7, today I lowered the light and turned the brightness up to try and help the lanky seed out. Both lights are on because otherwise they won't work individually.

I haven't let the plugs go dry (just using RO water with no nutrients, the humidity has remained high and water using a syringe little and often to keep moist but not soaking wet.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Bud
Heya Bud! Welcome to the school of Pot Rocks! You have a wealth of knowledge available to help you on your way to becoming an awesome grower. I can’t say enough about all the people and information that is available on this site you just have to look for it or ask for help. I’m thinking your temp spikes to 32 c = 89.6 f may have cooked your beans. I hope not though keep your seeds in germination as close to 78 as you can. You can use spacers between your mat and your tray might be helpful I’ve used pieces of wood doweling etc. Hope this helps

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

UPDATE AFTER 6 HOURS OF DARKNESS AFTER ADVICE:

Cool, thanks for the input people.

I put the seeds in 6 hours of darkness and just put the lights on for a planned 18 hours and had a quick check.

I fed each plug about 2.5ml of RO water which came in at 5.4 ph. Each plug was wet but not soaked / with drips coming out so I watered. Only RO water has been given, no nutrients.

I'll show the temperature performance over the last 6 hours of darkness to get peoples thoughts as well as some pictures.

Looks like I have another seed coming and the big fella is starting to open a little?

This is almost the 6th day.

As always, feedback / help is greatly appreciated.

Bud

20200604 180409
20200604 180627
20200604 180944
20200604 181450
20200604 181417
Screenshot 20200604 182834 AirComfort
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

take a shish kebab skewer, Chopstick or something like that and support that tall plant before she falls over

keep the heat mat temperature at 80 or below I use 78 - 80° with great results, good luck

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

take a shish kebab skewer, Chopstick or something like that and support that tall plant before she falls over

keep the heat mat temperature at 80 or below I use 78 - 80° with great results, good luck
Thanks, I didn't have a toothpick etc so I had to make do with a piece of wire. I had it perfect then decided to adjust it slightly.... and then f#cked it.... bent the stem accidentally.

Gutted. Lesson learned.

Bud

Screenshot 20200604 194714 Gallery
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks, I didn't have a toothpick etc so I had to make do with a piece of wire. I had it perfect then decided to adjust it slightly.... and then f#cked it.... bent the stem accidentally.

Gutted. Lesson learned.

Bud
😲🙁😲🙁Sorry to hear that! Now I feel bad for recommending it 🤐

Come close to doing that myself a time or two, seedlings are my least favorite part of this whole thing

These are what I use with twist ties

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

😲🙁😲🙁Sorry to hear that! Now I feel bad for recommending it 🤐

Come close to doing that myself a time or two, seedlings are my least favorite part of this whole thing

These are what I use
Nah it's me being heavy handed, I thought I was being careful bending the metal but obviously not.

Even OJ's legal team couldn't win with this.

How do you support the stem with the stick? How do you attach?

Bud

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

I wish I started with the paper towel method.

I'm going to give it a few more days and see what I get from the others. Fingers crossed.

If not, I'll start from scratch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom