2 Year Cure (is Quality Improved)?

• Thread starter CanadaSeeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with bud that has been cured for around a year to 2. I'm wondering because I have a few theories on harvesting and curing and i'd like some feedback. I can't remember where but i remember hearing that marijuana buds take a good 2 years to actually die after they're dried, so during this time a lot of things are happening. Apparently over time during a proper cure THC-A degrades and turns into THC and this increases the THC percentage. Also trichomes will undergo a final stage of ripening this ads a lot of character to the final product. if you allow the buds to grow an extra week or 2 the THC and CBD levels will increase during cure, this paired with the full spectrum of flavinoids and tepepenes in the resin glands will give you quality herb. hoping to hear what you all think about this. please weigh in.

This is what the cannabinoid percentages might look like after a lengthily cure. also the trichs will change.

Harvest 9 weeks (clear 50%, cloudy 45%, amber 5%)
THC: 17.89% - 18.33%
CBD: 0.15% - 0.19%
CBN: 0.61% - 0.65%
These new numbers will change how you are affected from the product. It won't be the same from a 3 month cure.

Harvest 10 weeks (clear 40%, cloudy 50%, amber 10%)
THC: 16.9% - 17.51%
CBD: 0.23% - 0.30%
CBN: 0.69% - 0.73%

These new numbers will enhance the product and how it affects you. Based on numbers the 2nd sample would not smoke as good as the first if it's smoked right after drying or a 2 month cure. But after curing the 2nd sample will be better than the first.

Last edited:
R

rascali

Year(s) old pot can be nice to reminisce, but is usually a mere shadow of it's original self because the more volatile terpenes are long lost by then along with the "spark" they provide. Old stoner lore on the long cure, more appropriate to the lower potency pot of the 60's and 70's.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
IMO well stored grass lasts about a year, then it begins to get less flavorful and potent. I haven't knowingly smoked anything older than 16-18 months in a long time. Optimal potency window for me has been 3-6 months of cure time.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I agree with the curing bringing a greater overall product.

But I do have to admit, smoking freshly chopped and just dried bud....I really love the flavor...
Flavor yes, but to me the high of freshly dried flower lacks any nuance, and smoking fresh herb is usually pretty harsh. Even full organics,freshly smoked, burns the hell out of my throat. Very unpleasant

shemshemet

shemshemet

Absolutely! I won't get into any of the potency arguments, because I truly don't know the science. And I'm sure the testing really hasn't been done extensively.

The proof right now is in experience, it comes down to trusting one person's subjective word vs the other.

Either way, I completely agree the harshness is the biggest factor in uncured bud. Uncured bud is harsh!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
A shitty batch of weed will be toast in less then a month imo. The better it's grown the longer it will hold its dhit together

CanadaSeeds

CanadaSeeds

awesome to hear all the different opinions about curing and what peoples' experiences have been. It makes me think of wine and how important the aging process is and of course making sure it's done correctly. What's interesting about wine is that it's alive and there's bacteria's inside interacting with the acids, flavinoids ect... same with traditional methods for curing ham, and cheese. I recently discovered that cannabis also has many of the same bacteria's found in wine. imo even tho some trace terpenes may be lost during a lengthily cure, i believe something magical could be happening between the bacteria's and the plant. Perhaps the buds gain more medicinal qualities if these beneficial bacteria's are present in higher concentration in the final product.

Top Bottom