20+ year old seeds, let's grow 'em

• Thread starter NorthernOrganics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

sometimes with seeds that don’t pop with 3-4 days than start playing with temp and humidity.. say your room is temp 75 humidity 60, than raise it to 80 and 70% next day adjust again go back lower.. nature never stays exactly the same.
i had this idea to run my lights on a line across walls and slide the light across idk hourly daily, but i thought that moving the light mimicking the sun would provide some type of benefit.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i had this idea to run my lights on a line across walls and slide the light across idk hourly daily, but i thought that moving the light mimicking the sun would provide some type of benefit.
well that would be an interesting set up to see indoors

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

The lone ranger got a new home
IMG 20230128 100648839

...and the lone ranger looks like a lady
IMG 20230128 100640876

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Update. The lone ranger is growing fine, still a little slow.
IMG 20230203 135745578

Haven't had any more luck with the seeds. I need to hit the gardening store and get some fresh soil stuffs, then I'll plant more. I'm starting to think the seed starting mix I picked up at the grocery store is the reason I'm not getting any more to sprout. It had fungus gnats in it and was probably old and acidic or something. Maybe the little pots are cursed...
IMG 20230203 135749610

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

In lieu of driving all the way out to the garden store, I mixed up some soil with great white and terp tea grow. I borrowed the soil from my sage plant's container, rich compost filled soil. Filled in the hole with the seed starting mix. I'm going to plant 6 of the old seeds in one planter, hoping to get one to go.

That's all I have left. Only have one plant growing so far. I didn't expect any of them to grow, so I'm still winning.

durbankid

durbankid

love the effort northern
i am like you just pop them into some good dirt and wait having a good fertilized soil is the key in my world
keep it simple stupid or kiss works every time i see so many over complicating growing all sorts of things not just weed
i find it soo funny how weed growing seems to turn some into mad scientists with all the weird and wacky concoctions and thoughts
weed is a very simple plant to grow i think and an easy one too
i dont mess with hydro too much can go wrong do it as nature meant soil and food and light and warmth and all will be good
on one of your next grows do what the Maoris do and bury a snapper under the plant free food for the plant it works
lol i also never use chemical fertilizers here in australia we have one called charlie carp its just ground up carp in liquid form i also use seasol or seeweed juice and some potash
hope you get some more to pop
my best was say ten years old and never kept well just in an envelope in a desk draw had about a 50% hit rate
be safe

bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

I'm doing an og kush right now. Seed stock 12 years. It's 11 days atm. Small wind burn on the first set of trues but the rest is perfect. Doggy knocked it over and fell out the cup at 4 days but since I germed it in a jiffy, the roots were perfectly intact. Lucky af and ty jiffy lol

durbankid

durbankid

I'm doing an og kush right now. Seed stock 12 years. It's 11 days atm. Small wind burn on the first set of trues but the rest is perfect. Doggy knocked it over and fell out the cup at 4 days but since I germed it in a jiffy, the roots were perfectly intact. Lucky af and ty jiffy lol
where you from mr bong you sound aussie

T

Twistedcolaz

What's the reasoning behind refrigeration? I'm just curious. My thoughts are that seeds are designed to go in the ground. The embryo of the seed needs some food to start. Over time the food stores are dried out in the seed. So I soaked a paper towel in some really light compost tea, dusted the seeds in mycorrhizae, seeds in the towel and put it in a warm dark place to simulate them being in soil. I want to see 👀 them germinate, otherwise I'd just put them in dirt like I normally do.
I have read that H2O2 helps saturate the cell membrane and make it more permeable

durbankid

durbankid

We've got jiffy brand pots and starters where I'm at. I've never been a fan of the pots, I feel they don't transplant well, I have to tear them off.
neve had an issue like that the nets break down and roots push thru them but if you fell the need to rip off the net no harm for sure
i use them for everything from pumpkins to tomatoes the fit nicely in the seed tray things and
a lot easier to remove then when just dirt is in them

1304998088-1.jpg

Leeboy

Leeboy

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

neve had an issue like that the nets break down and roots push thru them but if you fell the need to rip off the net no harm for sure
The starter pucks are good, no issues. It's the compressed peat pots that I have had issues with. They don't seem to break down for me and the root ball is blocked. I like the jiffy pucks in trays for vegetables.

bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

I have some (unknown strain) seeds from 1983, which I have kept in dark, cool, and dry storage. This thread has gotten me excited about potentially being able to germinate them.
my uncle gave me some seeds last year, he said they're from the 80's or 90's. i soaked 3, of the 3, 1 popped but no roots, after another day i saw no roots i dug the seed out, i cleaned my hands with shampoo and salt, dried them off, peeled off the seed shell, removed the film from the embryo, and left the white embryo on the surface of the soil inside a humidome, what do you think happaned? it's FUCKING GROWING AND ROOTS ARE SHOOTING!

edit:my theory is that even when roots don't develop, if you can still expose the cotyledons to light after it pops, thats enough, they can turn green and still photosynthesize and grew new roots! fuck the tap root, all you need are cotyledons that turn green!!!!! theres a seed hack for ya!!!

Last edited:
E

EternalSun

I have a whole jar of the seedy weed, and a test tube full of seeds. The weed is nasty, and I’ve separated out most of it, but I do believe the seeds have potential.

8ECA4456 BF9F 4C61 97FD 109CCF3EDEC3
4F8F652F D9BA 48CE 9AAB D2EA747B406A
Top Bottom