20+ year old seeds, let's grow 'em

• Thread starter NorthernOrganics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Update. Nothing new with the latest seeds.
IMG 20230207 091735665

Lone ranger is growing good. Getting some smells off the stem. Rubber and piss and sour vegetation. This one might be loud and rude.
IMG 20230207 091726658

bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

I'm realizing the seat coat ( that filmy layer is the only thing stopping the seeds from growing and not the hard shell. The film layer gets dried squeezes the tap root/embryo. This will often leave a blemish on one of the cotyledons after germinating. So if your seeds emerge. You NEED to manually remove caps asap or plants will die if seeds are old

20230210 050929
20230208 192425
bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

I'm realizing the seat coat ( that filmy layer is the only thing stopping the seeds from growing and not the hard shell. The film layer gets dried squeezes the tap root/embryo. This will often leave a blemish on one of the cotyledons after germinating. So if your seeds emerge. You NEED to manually remove caps asap or plants will die if seeds are old
the tap root broke on this one as i was peeling off the filmy layer that was trapping 90% of the seedling.... even if the seed shell opens, is stuck on there like like a bag with tape. it's just coty's left and a broken tap root, somehow it turned green in the photo. hopefully it's photosynthesizing and creating new roots.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

So I took a few little clones from the lowers of the lone ranger. I also planted the rest of the old seeds (and some others) in these starter plugs, figured I'd try something different with the last seeds.
IMG 20230214 205120551
IMG 20230214 145731941
IMG 20230214 205223055

Then I get curious and start digging around in the little pot with the previous round of seeds, and wouldn't you know it, there's a sprout. It looks like it might need some help so I put a drop of water on the seed hull and covered it back up with finely crumbled soil. I'm going to baby this one and hope it's a male.
IMG 20230214 2053517582

Laurie22

Laurie22

Good friends are hard to come by. Lucky me, I got one. An old friend of mine found a hidden stash of herb seeds that he collected between late 90's and early 2000's in his travels of the United States. I help him out from time to time and he showed his appreciation by giving me a bunch of these old seeds. I'm going to grow them here and we will see what's in there. I'm hoping to find some good old school and share it with people who appreciate that kind of thing. View attachment 1306634

Laurie22

Laurie22

Good friends are hard to come by. Lucky me, I got one. An old friend of mine found a hidden stash of herb seeds that he collected between late 90's and early 2000's in his travels of the United States. I help him out from time to time and he showed his appreciation by giving me a bunch of these old seeds. I'm going to grow them here and we will see what's in there. I'm hoping to find some good old school and share it with people who appreciate that kind of thing. View attachment 1306634
I too was gifted a bunch of ‘old’ seeds. I’ve tried a few and they are great, but how can I determine what strain they are? Always like to know.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

how can I determine what strain they are? Always like to know.
You wont ever know. There are thousands and thousands of strains, there is no possible way to tell what strain you have, aside from maybe genetic testing and then you're talking money and i dont know if it tells you strain or if it just tells you male or female.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

There is no way of knowing what someone was calling this cultivar 20+ years ago. Right now it's the Lone Ranger, and when I flower it out we will see what the bud looks/smells like and probably come up with an idea of what it is.

bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

I got best results with old seedlings in 50% perlite. They prefer humid rootzone watered twice a day vs wet/damp getting watered once a day or every other day as the soil becomes dense the old weak roots are unable to penetrate the medium.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

I've got three more that popped out of the final 8 that I put in the starter tray. So a total of 5 growing plants out of around 60 seeds. I should have just bought one of these trays and started them all that way, that seemed to have the best results.
IMG 20230225 072141062 HDR

Top Bottom