2011 Season Colorado Vegetable Gardens

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Seed Buyer

That's crazy you CO peeps are just now planting! My garden was transplanted out March 15th. Already knee deep in maters, chillies and eggplants. When does yall season end? We pull tomatoes until December. However, I would trade our long tomato season for medical in a second.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
damn chicken man, you ARE hardcore.
no matter what, i wouldnt ever be able to butcher an animal i raised.
maybe im just a giant pussy.haha

CC

We look at this way. Our livestock is raised with the upmost love and respect. Some farms pull the kid goats from the momma doe and are fed milk replacer, never see momma again. our Kids are allowed to suck all day, momma does are seperated from kids at night, milked in the morning then put back with kids. Our goats are fed top quality hay they have full access to fresh clean water, nice barn, so when its time they at least have had a good life.
Iam a puss however when it comes to goat butchering, can do chickens no problem, someday maybe ill bring myself to do it but for now we get a man out. its over before they know it, done on farm. Way better to do on farm as opposed to meat processor where the livestock is terrified as its is drug in and shot in head, terrible way to go. we use the kosher method which seems brutal but actually is most humane. Throat is cut instantly animal is gone before it knows whats happened...
Time now for hash vapes and homemade chocolate chip cookies dunked in todays fresh ice cold goat milk...CM

D

DoobyScoo

A good shot to the head is humane.
Key word 'good shot'.
People either don't research for the animal, or twitch when pulling the trigger...
And that is when the it becomes less humane.

Looked into doing it for my dog (cancer). Good thing too, I would have done it totally wrong.
But, the Shelter near me had euthanasia for $50, so I took it there. The Vet wanted like $200.

NoJuice88

NoJuice88

chickenman

I like your style

what are hay prices looking like in your neck of the woods?

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
chickenman

I like your style

what are hay prices looking like in your neck of the woods?

Thank You, we work hard for what we got and is so worth it.
We go thru about 400 bales a year, from neighbor $6.00 for a 70lb bale of nice grass afalfa mix, delivered and stacked, we barter some of the bill with our chickens...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey all go to Smokers lounge and check outmy whats cookin thread, good stuff happenin here on farm and in kitchen...

coloradochem

coloradochem

Damn chickenman doin it up big time and living the dream colorado style!

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Heres my veggie garden. Got some heirloom tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, basil, mint, cilantro, catnip, squash and zucchini. Ignore those plants in the middle...

Just bought a 4x4 soil bed from HD, put it up on cinder blocks with a board of plywood on the bottom. Lined it with poly, and filled. The mix is all cheap stuff from the hardware store. Got a bail of compressed peat from HD, added a bag of wood compost, a bag of sandy top soil, a good heap of perlite, 1 cup of bone meal, 1 cup of blood meal, 2 cups of earthworm castings, 1 cup of dolomite lime, 1 cup of kelp meal, oh and just some recycled coco and hydroton just to air it out a bit. Plants been out less than a week and already are real green with new growth! Gotta love the sun and the soil!

Photo on 2011 06 13 at 1914
sky high

sky high

Just a few tomatoes here.

as far as meat....if i had to kill it I prolly wouldn't eat it 'cus it's always the least fav thing on my plate if it is there at all.....but much respect to chickenman for the homespun gig jus' the same.

one of these days wez gonna buy a >real< ranch.....the then fun will begin.

happy gahhhdenin' kids

s h

Picture 331 Large e mail view
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
My morning

GOATS 002 800x600

Tomatoe tunnel
GOATS 003 800x600

Off to good start
GOATS 004 800x600

Milk filter all ready to go
GOATS 005 800x600

Sealed milk bucket, cups, and hoses, no contamination
GOATS 007 800x600

Surge vaccum pump. Made in the 40s still runnung great
GOATS 010

Honey Girls got some nice tits!!!
GOATS 014

Custom mix Goat chow
GOATS 023 800x600

Mr Brown, suckin honey girl. The does are seperated from kids at night then milked in the morning and kids get to suck all day.

GOATS 028 800x600
Fast hydro chill makes for great milk

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
My Morning

GOATS 015 800x600

Polly
GOATS 030 800x600

Collected Eggs
GOATS 031 800x600

Wash em up
GOATS 033 800x600

Dry will collect 3 more times and box en up

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Well i guess we know why you call yourself chickenman huh

O

old spice

really get jealous of you guys on the front range. Winter just ended in the mountains last week. happy gardening.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Just got done spraying entire garden with 30 gallons of neem oil solution.. we have a 12 volt farm spray tank and I will spray compost tea, neem, and foliar organic liquids throught the season. The neem is sprayed on plants as well as entire ground and landscape colth. This helps keep down the squash bugs and grasshoppers. Still a few bugs, best to prevent as much as you can before it gets outa hand

City farmer

City farmer

Nothing like fresh homegrown food! I use good organic dirt with homemade compost. Make lots of compost tea and inoculate everything with mycorrhizae fungi. The baby ducks are for eggs, duck poop fertilizer, bug control and maybe a few will be eaten. Yes the vine plant is a Kiwi hardy to neg 40 and I also grow blueberries in colorado in peat moss bales! Box full of potatoes, Corn is past knee high before july! And I am trying the 3 sisters garden method with corn squash beans peas melons cucumbers all in the same box LOL Many other fruit trees herbs etc
DSC00161.jpg
DSC001581.jpg
DSC00156.jpg
DSC00155.jpg
DSC00154.jpg
DSC00153.jpg
DSC00151.jpg
DSC00146.jpg
DSC00147.jpg
DSC00145.jpg
DSC001661.jpg

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
City Farmer you got it goin man!!! Sooo good when you grow it yourself...

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
We look at this way. Our livestock is raised with the upmost love and respect. Some farms pull the kid goats from the momma doe and are fed milk replacer, never see momma again. our Kids are allowed to suck all day, momma does are seperated from kids at night, milked in the morning then put back with kids. Our goats are fed top quality hay they have full access to fresh clean water, nice barn, so when its time they at least have had a good life.
Iam a puss however when it comes to goat butchering, can do chickens no problem, someday maybe ill bring myself to do it but for now we get a man out. its over before they know it, done on farm. Way better to do on farm as opposed to meat processor where the livestock is terrified as its is drug in and shot in head, terrible way to go. we use the kosher method which seems brutal but actually is most humane. Throat is cut instantly animal is gone before it knows whats happened...
Time now for hash vapes and homemade chocolate chip cookies dunked in todays fresh ice cold goat milk...CM

Have you heard of Temple Grandin? she is an amazing individual. I think you may find her story intriguing.
FJ

putembk

putembk

Just spent the whole day in the garden. Soon I will finally get tomatoes again. I won't eat a store bought or even a tomato that has been refrigerated from a farmers market. So far have harvested lettuce, spinach, broccoli, radishes and just starting to get peas. My squash already has powder mildew and am going to spray for it this evening. It's going to be a good year as nothing got frost bitten and so far the hail has stayed away. Am just now finishing off all canned and frozen goodies from last year. Oh, and if anybody wants some horse radish I will be overran with the stuff. Will probably get about 20 quart jars this year and I can't eat the stuff fast enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom