2013 vegetable garden thread...

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Here we go folks time to get started for this years veggie garden.
We start our seeds under lites then move into greenhouse around the first of may..
We have around 800 starts, beans, corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, onions, squash, cucumbers, tomato, potato, flowers, zucchini, peppers, summer squash, winter squash, melons, artichokes, herds, basil, parsley cilantro, oregano....

All organic seeds from Fed co, Bakers creek, Irish Eyes seed company are awesome seed sources...

Spring is here in the HIGH country.....

sky high

sky high

>>Envious<< Gonna be regulated to a few tomato plants here again due to water restrictions and the dog pack. Woof!
Need to get some starts....and wanna go with some large(r) planters than before. Thanks for the reminder!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
>>Envious<< Gonna be regulated to a few tomato plants here again due to water restrictions and the dog pack. Woof!
Need to get some starts....and wanna go with some large(r) planters than before. Thanks for the reminder!
We always have extras If you need let us know and when your in our neck o da woods you can have all you need.......

vaporedout

vaporedout

the wife and i started juicing this year so naturally a garden followed, we just made beds and are getting ready for soil.... our lineup is very green
cuccumbers, kale, zucchini, jalapenos, chard, radishes, romaine, i know theres more....

my parents grew artichoke and asparagus and ive never seen them growing, so cool!!

Cort

Cort

A few beets, basil, chives, sage, Italian parsley, oregano, thyme, jalapeno, habinero and my already fruiting ghost peppers. Limited partial sun space and the desert sun will smoke most veggies in summer.

waayne

waayne

Got an early start this Spring using the cold frame.

Been harvesting organic lettuce and spinach for about 3 weeks now
IMG 9435

There's nothing tastier than organic homegrown veggies:)

K

kolah

Nice folks! This year I am staying simple and going big on potatoes and squash. For, one they grow great up here in the cold and elevation and TWO they have a great storage life.

I'll do my easy short grows of lettuce radishes, spinach and cooking herbs and can get two harvests easily.

Good luck to all, lets hope for a great harvest and always remember to give thanks for the true fruits of our labor!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
800! I've really seriously ratcheted DOWN the veggies. Some toms, squash, eggplant, peppers and peas, and so far that's pretty much it.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
800! I've really seriously ratcheted DOWN the veggies. Some toms, squash, eggplant, peppers and peas, and so far that's pretty much it.
Always start lots of extras to give to friends . Also this year were donating lots of produce to homeless outreach and senior centers...

Out tilling greenhouse and garden, tiller fired right up.....

M

mendel

I just got a new tiller, wanted a bcs, ended up w a husqvarna, im a cheap bastard. the bcs has alot of cool attatchments though, maybe I fucked up.

We deep chiseled 6 - 30' x 170' strips side by side, first garden here. I have planted wheat oats peas on one to run chicken tractors on. We'll plant cole crops on this one in fall. We are manuring 3 more, and leaving 2 fallow for now, will be covercropping them. It takes 5 trailer loads of crap to cover one, were half way done. the first few loads were fun, but now it kind of sucks shoveling cow shit for an hour and slinging it over the plot.

We are watering the 170' runs with t-tape, ill be running a 3/4 pvc line as the header across the top of the 30' plots and watering the piss out of it. No water restrictions here, in fact I can have a well drilled if I wanted/had the $$.

Ill be sprouting a bunch of seed from www.sandhillpreservation.com as soon as I have time to hang a few t-5's. All organic, open pollinated. We will be saving lots of seed. I have the space to use large #'s of plants in the pollinations to maintain vigor in lines we like. Ill be growing some heirloom grains as well, amaranth, sorghum, some glutenous japanese millets. We plan to sell the veggies at the farmers market.

I am stoked, the area is huge, and im gonna experiment with extreme plant spacing (6' between tomato plants for example), as described in gardening when it counts by steve solomon. It is meant to give giant plants just like grass. he grew full season kale 5' tall using this method.

best regards, mendel

I guess I need to get around to photoing it all, would be fun to share.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So says the man who pounded his sword into a plow.

cannabeans

cannabeans

Hugel beds 012
Here is a picture of one of my cold frames. I built the beds this past week. I layed down a layer of cottonwood logs about 12-15 inches deep, then I back filled in between with some river bottom silt that I picked up from a local farmer, then on top of that is the recycled roots organic soil that I have been growing my veggies for a few years now. These beds should only get better and better as time goes on. The cottonwood logs will act as a sponge and should limit my watering schedule. As the logs slowly breakdown more and more nutrients should be realeased making the beds more productive with less organic supplements. One other byproduct of the logs breaking down will be some heat. I plan on covering these beds in the winter and trapping that heat and grow salad greens throughout the winter. I have a total of three more beds to build, Two that are identical to the ones you see, and one that will run the span of the entire cold frame. Once the beds are completed, I will put the film on the cold frame and get transplanting. Im sure this year is going to be a great year for veggies.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
View attachment 304221 Here is a picture of one of my cold frames. I built the beds this past week. I layed down a layer of cottonwood logs about 12-15 inches deep, then I back filled in between with some river bottom silt that I picked up from a local farmer, then on top of that is the recycled roots organic soil that I have been growing my veggies for a few years now. These beds should only get better and better as time goes on. The cottonwood logs will act as a sponge and should limit my watering schedule. As the logs slowly breakdown more and more nutrients should be realeased making the beds more productive with less organic supplements. One other byproduct of the logs breaking down will be some heat. I plan on covering these beds in the winter and trapping that heat and grow salad greens throughout the winter. I have a total of three more beds to build, Two that are identical to the ones you see, and one that will run the span of the entire cold frame. Once the beds are completed, I will put the film on the cold frame and get transplanting. Im sure this year is going to be a great year for veggies.

Looks awesome
What are you covering with? I highly recommend Solex, the very best, can't see inside, very good insualtion and will last Twenty years...
Looking at this gets me excited and motivated to have the best garden ever this year....

cannabeans

cannabeans

Unfortunately, I cant afford the solex. So I will be using 3yr greenhouse film. When I can afford the solex, I will start with the roof of the frame. If you can see in the pics, I have u track running along the north and south side of the frame at the top of the 8 ft sidewall. My plan is to open those sides during the heat of the summer. Eventually I would like to build a "lean to" off the north side and enclose the "lean to" in tin roofing, so I can put a rocket mass heater in there.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Remember air circulation is key. We have fans and louvered vents to move air through. Blowing air out sucking air in and two fans on constantly blowing air around inside.

ridge og

ridge og

Just another sunny day in California our onions and bell peppers. carrots r starting to pop up . the kids love working the dirt 049

K

kolah

Canna, if you want, look into 11 or 12ml "solar" plastic. It's not expensive and will last longer as well. Your GH is sweet.

It's also nice to fold up the side to let air in as well. Wrapping the perimiter with 1 or 2 foot high screen mesh with 1/2" square keeps critters out.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Guys. I'm falling in love with these stupid chickens. I may start growing more chickens. A fishwoman, diggin' "fedders" (how my granddaughter says 'feathers').

What's funny is she AIN'T gonna dig how they eat food out of your hand now. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Oh! I forgot to mention that I have some fields of self-sowed lettuces and carrots. I've transplanted some of the carrots and keep meaning to harvest the lettuce, but haven't. Lazy-ass me. And you think you can leave a lazy woman like me in charge, chickenman? I can DELEGATE, that's what I can do. :D

Top Bottom