2018 First Time Organic Garden. Humboldt, Ca.

• Thread starter SmokeyMcBowl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brazel

brazel

Is this a water only method mix? If not is there a feeding schedule of sorts? Like a top dressing? Sorry if these are dumb questions just want to make sure we’re on the same page.
Yes, water only but you can also give some coconut water, aloe Vera, sprouted seed tea, compost tea etc for some treats.

Top dress kelp and neem twice year

brazel

brazel

@Ecompost would this be a good base soil?

@brazel this is the soil I already bought. Can I build on this?
Yeah you can, but I wouldn't. It's not like I think it's horrible.
IMO if you wanna build a soil it makes no sense to start with a bag of soil.
But it ain't like you can't amended that soil.

If you wanted to buy pre mixed soil, I'd go with KIS organics or build a soil.

I'd use it in my in my outdoor garden. Top dress my trees.

You'd be ahead of the game using recipe above. If you don't have compost buy Malibu compost.

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

@brazel ok cool, just making sure. Also how much mix does this make? Or do you add the ingredients (ie. kelp meal, crab meal, bio char, etc.) at the same rate no matter the volume of the parts that are at the 1/3 rate (peat moss, EWC, lava rock)?

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

@brazel I could always sell that soil I got and go with that recipe. My main goal is to start right because from my understanding if I start with a properly built base it will last me at least 5 years, will be cost effective in the long run, more natural, and overall better product.

brazel

brazel

@brazel ok cool, just making sure. Also how much mix does this make? Or do you add the ingredients (ie. kelp meal, crab meal, bio char, etc.) at the same rate no matter the volume of the parts that are at the 1/3 rate (peat moss, EWC, lava rock)?
Add ingredients per cubic ft.

brazel

brazel

@brazel I could always sell that soil I got and go with that recipe. My main goal is to start right because from my understanding if I start with a properly built base it will last me at least 5 years, will be cost effective in the long run, more natural, and overall better product.
Do it!
That's correct. Your soil will become your EWC, mulch everything that grows in that soil back into the soil... minus the herb ha

Organikz

Organikz

if you damp the matter before collection it reduces the dust impact. I have been collecting guano for years, same spot all the time, they leave in winter and come back again every year. I always damp the guano for my own health and tolerate it weighing more as I collect it. Guano is super good P and contains lysobacteria which are solid bio control and n fixers etc, also able to tolerate higher salinity. I dont sell it i collect it myself for myself. Over using it is not great and can taint the taste of weed which might be an issue for this guy if he wants clean tasting meds. but in moderation it is super potent since its technically insect bodies rich in complex carbohydrates and minerals
no one is collecting guano around here except at the local grow shop. that is collected in large operations where the bat's safety or the workers for that matter isn't very important compared to the dollar...

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

no one is collecting guano around here except at the local grow shop. that is collected in large operations where the bat's safety or the workers for that matter isn't very important compared to the dollar...

What would be better alternatives to guano? I love my bats that live here. They were here when I got here and getting a new bat box home very soon. (The thing they live behind now is ugly AF but I want my bats to stay so there getting a new home in the same spot once I’m done with the design) they help eat bugs in the summer and there just cool to have around. :)

Organikz

Organikz

What would be better alternatives to guano? I love my bats that live here. They were here when I got here and getting a new bat box home very soon. (The thing they live behind now is ugly AF but I want my bats to stay so there getting a new home in the same spot once I’m done with the design) they help eat bugs in the summer and there just cool to have around. :)
alfalfa

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

1/3 canadian sphagnum peat moss
1/3 compost/ EWC
1/3 pumice or lava rock
1 cup neem meal
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup crab meal
1 cup malted barley powder
1/2 gypsum
5 cups basalt
6 cups charged bio char
A layer of mulch on top
Cover crop
Worms

Is some good stuff

So if I were to make 2 yard mix of this (4x 100 gal or 2x 200 gal smartpots) @brazel it should look like this correct?

-18 cbft peat moss
-18 cbft of EWC/compost
-18 cbft of lava rock
-54 cups of Neem meal
-54 cups of kelp meal
-54 cups of crab meal
-54 cups of malted barley power
-27 cups of gypsum
-135 cups of basalt
-162 cups of bio char

Does that look about right?

brazel

brazel

So if I were to make 2 yard mix of this (4x 100 gal or 2x 200 gal smartpots) @brazel it should look like this correct?

-18 cbft peat moss
-18 cbft of EWC/compost
-18 cbft of lava rock
-54 cups of Neem meal
-54 cups of kelp meal
-54 cups of crab meal
-54 cups of malted barley power
-27 cups of gypsum
-135 cups of basalt
-162 cups of bio char

Does that look about right?
Looks right, you can use between 1/2 cup to 1 cup neem,crab,kelp,MBP.

You can also cut the bio char and basalt by a cup. So 4 basalt 5 bio char.

If you wanna save a little money

brazel

brazel

The whole soil recipe provides what plants crave! So we're not really replacing guano on a one for one exchange. Each ingredient gives a little which add up. Make since?

SmokeyMcBowl

SmokeyMcBowl

The whole soil recipe provides what plants crave! So we're not really replacing guano on a one for one exchange. Each ingredient gives a little which add up. Make since?

I was just curious to alternatives that are renewable and the least impact on the environment :)

Looks right, you can use between 1/2 cup to 1 cup neem,crab,kelp,MBP.

You can also cut the bio char and basalt by a cup. So 4 basalt 5 bio char.

If you wanna save a little money

Sweet just wanted to make sure! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom