2022 Project Grow Log #1 How many pots should I cram into a 4 x 4 tent? Nine maybe?

• Thread starter dirtyoldman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #8.
  • TWO WEEKS INTO FLOWERING PERIOD.
  • 25 CUTTINGS TAKEN FOR CLONES
  • BOTTOMS TRIMMED OUT FOR AIR FLOW
  • FED BIG BLOOM AND TIGER BLOOM
  • LAST SPRAY OF NEEM
  • BOTH ROOMS SPRAYED WITH BUG SPRAY WHILE PLANTS WERE REMOVED.
  • EXPERIMENTAL TRAINING CAGE APPLIED TO ONE WHITE WIDOW
Hopefully I'll get some clones from these 25 cuttings. I can't remember my percentage of successful cuttings last time. Probably didn't wait until others came along and just took the strong ones. I'm pretty sloppy at it, I don't regulate humidity or use a dome or anything like that. I don't even use rooting hormone any more. That being of dubious value, in my opinion. I do keep the soil moist. I add a very light amount of nutrients. I sprayed them with Neem oil right after taking them. And I notch the bottom of the cuttings a couple times with a razor blade. They get 24 hours of light. Despite my sloppy methods I still get enough.

The plants had a lot of bottom growth removed. Then fed and sprayed the last time with Neem. Being careful not to hit the main budding sites. Mainly spraying the leaves. Because I think Neem is acidic and I didn't want to burn the buds even slightly.

Below you will notice an example of "Super Cropping." This was accidental, I damaged the branch early in growth. The branch then expanded as it repaired itself. Supposedly leaving a bigger highway for the plant's absorption of nutrients. In theory, anyways.

When trimming off leaves and taking clones I spotted three leaves on a couple plants with suspicious holes in them. Not sure if insect damage, but not taking chances. When plants were removed from the rooms they got a short spray of RAID pyrethrin-based spray. The ventilation fans were running so exhaust would take all the poison out so as not to contaminate the plants. Neem also helps against any bugs. They can't lay eggs on the leaves.

The Mataro Blues are proving to be more vigorous and impressive than the White Widows. This is quite a hybrid. And I think I will reverse the order and do six of these in the tent next time. The stems are thicker. The fan leaves larger and broader. The buds getting larger faster. Even the color is better. And although starting slower than the WW's they have now surpassed then in size. And done this under a weaker lamp! I am certainly impressed!

The wire cage experiment is underway and I did this sloppy by making the hoop too large. And I am going to run out of smaller-diameter wire. Also, spreading them out this wide is impossible for all of the White Widows in the tent. And the Mataros in the closet have already filled the space wall to wall without a wire cage trainer. I might train one or two more of the WW's with cages and that will be it. I think this is not practical for 6 plants in a 4 x 4 tent. Not enough room. I see a pic here of a 5 x 5 with only two plants and it filled out the room. Yes, I can see the value in conserving seeds this way. Even if people are cloning. But I doubt I'll change my methods. I have already invested in nice 5-gallon pots and I'll continue to roll with them. If I did only two plants I would want 10-gallon pots or bags. I prefer pots. I can scrube and re-use nursery pots. How do you scrub a bag, anyways? I assume people just toss the bags. Those things are expensive. I spend enough on this already. I'm not made of money like some people.

A road trip for business next week is going to cost me a fortune in gasoline. I want to buy an electric car in the next couple years. It's a pain in the neck to wait around on a long trip but they do have these super-charging centers that get it charged remarkably fast. You just must plan your route carefully. Because I think aggressive assholes some where in the world will keep starting wars (North Korea, Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan and Vietnam are all possibilities to go at each other in the next ten years. Vietnam wants nuclear weapons. And they might get them). It's just non-stop. And every time there is a war anywhere the oil companies gouge the hell out of us. People keep blaming Joe Biden for high gas prices. Yeah, I get it, I know what happened. But it IS a world market. I also know the Arabs are partly to blame here. And Vladimir Putin. Saudi Arabia has the U.S. on their shit list right now. They hate Joe Biden and are going to sit on their reserves. They are tired of their oil facilities getting hit with cruise missiles and Biden doing nothing about it. The news media here barely notices but the Saudis are under constant attack. They want Iran pulverized. Technically they have been at war with Iran for years and the U.S. is trying to ignore it. There are a variety of factors here. The U.S. uses 21 milion barrels of oil per day. And exports 8.7 million per day. If they stopped exporting crude oil our gas prices would drop overnight. No one in the media and not one single politician talks about how we export so much oil. Like it's a taboo subject. No Republican, no Democrat. Nobody mentions it. Ever. No news network mentions it. Ever. I've been watching closely and it never comes up. This week I watched Senator Warner's interview about energy and he never mentioned it. Until three years ago we exported refined petroleum. Now they are exporting mainly crude. Why? In 2019 we were exporting more than we imported. Not any more. Does it make sense to "Drill Baby Drill" if a large chunk of our available supply gets sold to the Far East? Does it make sense to buy oil from Saudi Arabia, Russia, Venezuela and Canada and then sell our domestic production to other countries? The oil companies are raking record profits while America suffers. The next time the politicians talk about subsidies for Big Oil we should all look for a rope. And not to hang ourselves.

IMG 8754

IMG 8751

IMG 8753

IMG 8757

IMG 8758

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #9.

FREAK SHOW. All 3 MATAROS FREAK OUT. JUST LIKE ALL 4 JUICY FRUITS LAST FALL FROM BCSK.

Amazing how quickly male flowers can develop on hermaphrodites. I had just worked with these Friday and examined them closely and found this today. I wasn't looking closely the last couple days. But it looks like they have been out sooner than this. On the Mataro Blues, that is. One yellow flower was actually open on one plant. And I had removed all growth on Friday where the male flowers appeared on several of the plants. They came out of nowhere. I have done my best to remove light, the only stress thes plants received was having bottom growth removed. Anyways, I'm flowering during daylight hours. It's almost dark when the light turns off. But this is the age at which the trait will surface anyways. 3 weeks is about the bench mark. It's just the strain. I had ordered a group package from BC Seed King for $90. I think there were 28 seeds total in the package. I have not seen any hermphroditism from the White Widows in that stock. Including one grown in the closet. So there's no need to second-guess myself. It's another unstable one. The Juicy Fruits were all hermies. So two out of three in that shipment were bad. All bad. I thought about pinching the male organs from the plants but I'm just not dealing with it. It's not an isolated appearance. Male organs were appearing all over the plants. Even a yellow flower opened right on a bud. You can see two more sites in the picture to the left. These were REALLY freaking out. And I think it might end my relationship with BCSK after over 10 years. They keep sending me seeds that hermie out. Once in a while I can tolerate it, but this is ridiculous. I've grown a number of strains from them and only the Granddaddy Purple and White Widow have not had hermies in the bunch. It seems the more exotic thing I try, the more it hermies out. I have some Blue Cheese Auto seeds from a guy in Latvia bred from Spanish stock. I'll give them a go later. Then maybe I can get some indica dominant in the jar. But my plan in shifting gears now that the closet has been shut down? Getting my WW cuttings rooted and jumped up in the closet under the Halide. I have 17, I would like to get 9 good ones rooted. Then I'll try once again to bud out both rooms at once. Then after a road trip to the Carolinas after the second harvest I'll come back and maybe plant those Blue Cheese Autos. But I also have a scheme for this White Widow strain. If these are so resistant to freaking out under stress I'll de-bud some of them and re-veg them and then take more clones. I don't have a widely intermittent digital timer or a proper pump. The only pump I have is too powerful. 50gph. If I'm gone two weeks as planned I'll need to figure out some automatic watering system that will keep them alive while I'm gone. I want to keep this strain. And over the next few months I'll be shopping for a new indica strain. There are so many to choose from. Now that I've got a second room I may very well buy regular seeds and proceed to do some breeding. I've already been shopping and it is fun. Not in any hurry. I might go back to Granddaddy Purple. I liked that strain. The consolation is that they were beginning to get frosty and I did get stoned vaping top buds. I've been out for quite a few weeks so it was a treat. Still bummed, though. These were strong plants. What a shame. They got chopped. I wonder if it would be an interesting taste to cross Granddaddy Purple Males with Female Auto Blue Cheese plants? or Granddaddy Purple males with White Widow XXL Autos? I have ten WWXXL Auto seeds from Latvia, also. Would the resulting seeds be fertile or sterile? This is new territory for me. No experience with Autos.

IMG 8786

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #9.
UNKNOWN DISEASE AFFECTS PLANT.

The plant with a half-assed metal cage was placed near the cool air vent and apparently something got sucked into the ventilation system. Didn't spray the vent hose and ventilation system well enough with fungicide, I guess, which will be rectified shortly. The air conditioner vent and filter are getting sterilized tomorrow. Noticed about 20 infected leaves on the plant near the vent. And where its' leaves touched the leaf on another plant? It infected the one leaf that was touching it. So definitely a communicable disease and I'll be pissed if the spores have infected the entire room. The infected plant had it's infected leaves removed, which wasn't really drastic at all. And it has been isolated. Firing up the 400 in the closet again. The plant with only one leaf infected was left in the tent but space put between it and the other plants. If it shows more infected leaves it will go to the closet as well. And I'll be watching them closely. This can happen so fast. The leaves showed nothing just two days ago. No reason to panic, but I hate the fact that this has happened less than 4 weeks into flowering. There's a long way to go. I am also going to extend the ventilation intake higher in the room. Too much blast of cold air coming in on that corner and could be a prime cause of the problem. Another is that my room is affected by outside temperatures. It has been difficult to keep a steady temperature in the room because it simply refuses to warm up around here. And the thermometer has been going up and down like a yo-yo. My AC won't kick on until it gets past 73 or something like that. The result was having to water too much because I've been running a hot room. I've had no cold air when the lamp was on. It's been like a jungle in there with heat and humidity. The high humidity helped bring this on. I've had to water these every day. The bright side is that the buds are getting large and White Widow can some times finish in 7 to 8 weeks. I will shortly be in the home stretch. I should get some nice jars even if I'm stripping leaves. Next up? Spraying some leaves again with Neem. I had not planned on applying Neem again, but here we go. And I hope can we finally get some consistently warm weather. When the AC runs, this tent should run like clockwork without any environmental issues. The closet, too. I had an excellent harvest of Blue Cheese a year ago. Without any temperature problems. It can be done. The second harvest this year should go smoother.

IMG 9063

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You could fit 4 2gal nursery pots, or 3 3gal nursery pots.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #10.

Looks like all is well and cruising to a fine harvest of a proven strain.

Whatever that problem was with the leaves seems to be under complete control. Although the plant affected is still isolated under the 400. After plucking a few leaves I'm confident everything is OK. Not seeing it spread. And I feel lucky. I still think it was some kind of spore sucked in by ventilation. I cleaned and sterilized the AC vent and the hose intakes. I think too much heat and humidity had a lot to do with it. These colas are swelling like crazy at 30 days of flowering. The plants are using much more water as they flower up. No hermaphroditism.

This is a strong, stable strain that I plan on keeping for awhile and doing some breeding. I want to cross one of these female WW's with a male Black Domina with seed stock from Europe. What I'm hoping for is a dark strain even more indica dominant with a similar taste to White Widow. I love that unique spicey taste and I wonder how it would mix with the the taste of Black Domina. Which has fruit/spice taste, it is said. I would also like to see if phenotypes arise that will grow taller than Black Domina usually does indoors. This White Widow strain grows so quickly and I'd like to see how that effects this nearly 100% Indica strain. What I'm hoping that results is an excellent Black Hash producer. Hopefully a Black Hash with a fruity flavor.

It appears that all 16 WW cuttings have rooted at just over two weeks. But only several show new growth despite 24 hours of light. I think part of the problem is a resistance to being kicked out of flowering and into vegetative. I had clipped off female flowers when taking these. But the cuttings kept budding up. I had to clip buds from them a second time. Tiny ones kept growing.

IMG 9125

IMG 9129

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

2022 PROJECT GROW LOG ENTRY #11.

FREAK SHOW REPEAT. WHITE WIDOW CLONES READY FOR BIGGER LIGHT. SHOPPING FOR INDICA REGULAR SEEDS. BLUE CHEESE AUTO FEMINIZED TO BE PLANTED.

One of the White Widows popped some male flowers before I could identify it. I was pruning the plants. These were the sneaky ones tucked up underneath. I didn't even see it until one actually fell out when I was handling the plant. And at closer examination found more. It was chopped. The first of the 6 WW's to show hermaphroditism. There was one lucky thing-it was a corner plant and the furthest away from the fan. But I still know what this means. Between the three Mataro Blue freaks and this one (4 out of 9 were hermaphrodites) there is no doubt there are considerable seeds in this room.

It's a big disappointment. I'm just hoping some of the larger buds are not just stock full of seeds and I that I got lucky. Several of the better plants do not show seed development on the outside. One bright side is one of the plants had been isolated. It's re-joined the rest; isolation is no longer necessary. Besides, I need that room to prep the clones. Thinking seriously about sticking four 3-gallon pots in there with the clones and starting Blue Cheese Feminized Autos I have in stock. I only had to destroy two clones from this freak, tagged "W5." So I still have 14. And could see when I destroyed those clones that they were rooting fairly well. Maybe that's the only way to get a room without all this bad luck with hermies. Try to pick females among them that are stable and clone those off. Because I'm sick of having seeds in my harvests. This is two in a row now. I think maybe it's not just the seed bank. It's the damned feminized seeds. I'm really thinking about going away from them forever. Producing my own regular seeds while simulatenously selecting females to clone. And breeding my own hybrid. I'm leaning toward starting with a 100% indica like Afghani. Not cross-bred with anything in its ancestry. And then, if I can get some stable White Widows, breed it with them. Feminized seeds produce hermaphrodites. And I haven't been great at spotting them early. If I buy feminized seeds from anyone I expect this to happen. Switching companies is not going to prevent this problem. I'm really missing that Blue Cheese strain I cloned off and finished last year. Excellent and seedless. They were from 3 free feminized seeds (from the I (heart) marijuana site). But again, that seems to be the way to go. Clone confirmed stable females to get a seedless room.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

GROW LOG LAST ENTRY. HARVEST SCHEDULED IN LESS THAN A WEEK.

I'm going to chop these at 8 weeks of flowering. They appear ready at 7 weeks but I'm going one more. The cuttings have come along well enough to be transplanted immediately and put under Halide light.

Incredibly, I found a second White Widow with a male flower. One waited until 6 weeks to show. Pain in the ass. And I'm not doing anything to cause this. There are no light leaks. It's a closed tent. The plants have not been stressed in any way. They've grown perfectly. But I decided only about a week before harvest not to chop this one. I'm not going to kill it for one male flower. I'll just watch it closely. But the two clones from this plant were scrapped. I'm down to 12 clones now. Of nine plants five turned out to be hermies. A majority of the feminized seeds I planted. Meaning I'm never trusting feminized seeds from any source after this. Not for the bigger room, that's for sure. I want to do only clones from confirmed females in the tent from now on. I've got 12 healthy cuttings rooted from plants that did NOT hermie out on me. There will be nice weight from the room, but what percentage of weight will be seeds? Some buds sampled had less seeds than others. It is possible to find buds in rhe room that are not seeded. But many of them are and I'm really disgusted with that. The weed is potent, the buds covered with trichomes and I'll still make a little hash. But this grow fell far below expectations because of the shitty seeds I was dealing with. From the same source BC Seed King. The last two shipments from them have been feminized seeds riddled with hermaphrodites. I'm not dealing with them ever again. And I have high hopes for the 12 nice clones I took. I should have better luck next time. I'm definitely only buying regular seeds from this point forward. This is not the hermie, a picture of one of the better plants in the room. And hoping 25% of the bud weight isn't seeds. I think I have 3 clones from this plant. No nanners on this one. This is probably the last picture from the grow. The new one is starting soon. I'm not going to train these, just repeatedly top them. And they are being topped early. Next on tap: A new log in the Journal section where it really belongs. Budding out 12 White Widow clones from confirmed females. In two rooms. And hoping earnestly that none of them hermie out on me. This worked the last time with the Blue Cheese. Cross my fingers and knock wood. I'm shooting for that elusive pound of seedless, potent bud in one harvest. The type of harvest that is enough to make a nice personal stash of hash. The hopes of getting it this time are long gone.

IMG 9168

IMG 9169
Top Bottom