21x20 Flower Room Design

• Thread starter LegalGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

With a twelve foot ceiling you could double up your veg area and save space by constructing a mezzanine 6 foot up, it's a lot of head room to waste, just a thought. Wish I had gotten into this thread a bit earlier.

Nice Room, after reading the thread I can say as a diy guy you should look into your own diy exhaust scrubbers, then you only have to replace carbon, not travel to the hydro shops and pay a premium for a filter.

I saw a diy scrubber that looked like a large box and all it had was trays with carbon in them, air in the bottom and out the top, when it is expended, you replace the carbon, and then find another use for the old stuff.

Peace

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

@Canalchemist - I actually thought about making this a 2 level grow, for 2 separate flower rooms, but my concern was later if I want to change from beds to trees// I would be screwed. With the 12 foot, trees are likely in my future with hanging bare bulbs.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

One 1000w ballast/110 V = 9.09 amps - this is the draw, i always dedicate 10amps to 1 1000w fixture @ 120v and 5 amps @ 240v

your much better off running your 12 ballasts @ 240v instead of 120v

your going to need a lighting controller. there are plenty of manufactures. i dont recommend making your own controller. Its basic to make a diy but i never suggest it unless a professional electrician that is savy builds own for you, but still ur better off buying one.

your outlets cannot run ur 12 lights on 50amp breaker @ 120v. ur going to blow your panel. you need atleast 110 amps to run your 12 lights @120v

its better to have your ballasts outside the room. I usually build a ballast wall that houses my ballast and lighting controller(s). The only reason these days that this is not the case is if your running Gavitas or E paps - its a one and done complete fixture.
how are you planning on keeping ur lights on a timer?

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

dont split your flower room in two if ur only at 12' ceilings. thats not practical and its expensive to mezzanine.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

yeah, always something... maybe I should throw in the towel.
Anyone want to buy some new in the box Digilumes?

OR, just run this until the breakers start tripping. :)

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

how would I run them at 220? Do I need the big 220 outlets like for Dryers?

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Man, your not that out of shape here... Leave your abundance of 110v sockets in place- just know that you should only plug things in up to the point that they are wired for- don't plug ten fans that draw 1.5amps into all the same 110v circuit...

Get yourself a 12 light controller- its gonna look a lot like this:

Or thereabouts.... you get the drift and I'm sure there's a better one on the market- it just happened to be the one I clicked on. Also you likely won't need all those extra 110's... Did I notice that your ballasts are cool enough to delay their starts randomly? Goodie.
You are going to check the specs on the controller you go with and see what size breaker it needs- Probably a 60amp although I'm wondering about that just now. Then you WILL find out what size wire you NEED for said breaker- ask google what size wire a 60amp breaker needs and it will say you need #6Copper- bigger if you go with alum(#8 is NOT bigger than #6). Likely the copper will be okay because you are going to make this a short run from your breaker box to the controller. If it has to be a long run from the breaker to where your controller will be you'll probably want to step the wire up to URD??- I think thats what they call it- It's a big four wire aluminum cable deal- probably 2ought or something... It's much cheaper than copper if you are running distances.

What am I forgetting?

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

@PButter . Cool idea.. so then I have to get super long cords for the ballasts? Or do I build a ballast box where I store them all including the power box?

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
You may have to get some extensions for the lamp cords- ideally you'll run the 220v to the controller which is right next to all the ballasts- then if thats too far for some of the lamp cords you'll go get the extensions. Might be an extra grand maybe maybe maybe for the wire, controller and doing it this a way- you'll save that pretty quick doing 220v vs. 110v. As for what it looks like- your the boss. I've seen rooms with ballasts in mud and bud so tight you could ping pong with it and rooms so clean you could eat off the floor that couldn't produce anything beyond mites, and mold, and larff. But BOTH of those rooms ran 220v.

How about a couple of pictures of your service boxes- are there some back there I've missed?

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

@PButter thanks. I understand and will start working on it.

I think instead of powering those outlets, I will run the 6-3 cable to the power box you recommended (or one like it) and like you said, install the ballasts and power box all close to each other on like a plywood mounting surface up high - outside my room.

One concern with mounting outside the room, is someone seeing them and wondering.... 12 ballasts all lined up on a wall would be odd to most people... RED flag? Other idea was to do the same thing, but then created a box cover to put over the whole thing so it is hidden.. will they over heat though?

Few box pictures below. I already have a new 50 amp breaker as we have a few that are not being used that we can remove to make room..

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

PS, how would I put the lights on timers with that power box? Put the whole box on a big timer?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

@PButter One concern with mounting outside the room, is someone seeing them and wondering.... 12 ballasts all lined up on a wall would be odd to most people... RED flag? Other idea was to do the same thing, but then created a box cover to put over the whole thing so it is hidden.. will they over heat though?

If you placed a box around the ballasts just make sure there are vents for the heat to escape. Or you could even go a step further and cool the enclosure with a couple of computer fans.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

@Smoking Gun - thanks, was thinking leaving 2 sides open for air movement, the ballasts are all air cooled, but could add some small fans if heat might be an issue with that power box..?

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Today added full wall table in VEG room.

Next will add some shelves with T8 fixtures so I can really pack the room. Veg room is about 5 X 9.

My grow plan is:

2-4 weeks in VEG Cabinet
2 weeks VEG room shelf to get some exposure to the brighter lights in same room.
Then Move to Veg Table under the 600 Ws.
Then Flower power.

Hoping I will be able to push 100 plants through the process each month once I get all flower beds fully stocked and on schedule.

The idea is every 2 weeks plants are moving and I am cutting new clones or starting beans (beans will of course start a week or two earlier to get a head start).

Few pics:

V1
V2
V3

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

Updates:

Ordered a powerbox 12000 from monstergardens ( think @Smoking Gun uses a similar model in his setup)...
It will run 10, 1000 w lights, and built in timer for $600. Seemed like the right choice. Will have that installed and wired in a week or so once it gets here. Decided to mount on wall of VEG room, since that room will not be as hot and still secure from people seeing 10 ballasts.. :)

No rush, flowering on my current batch is easily 5 weeks away.

Finished VEG room lights today and moved in some of the mid-size plants under the 600W MH.

In celebration I decided to pop some beans. WhiteWidow, OG, LSD, Sweet Purple and PepperMint Kush. :)
I realized how easy it will be to have more beans than I can ever pop!

Pic below. The littles on left are super skunk and the right are MediHaze, a very low THC/High CBD strain. 4%/8%, my hope is I can actually burn one of these without being uncomfortable. I think I am alergic to weed. Makes me all paranoid and uncomfortable in my own body. Anyone heard of this before? I smoked a ton when I was kid and toward my 20s this happened a lot more and why I quit (that and my wife - God you should have seen her face when she came to our party and my buddy comes waking about with the bong.. CLASSIC - I was like a SWAT man signalling BACK, BACK< BACK... ! LOL).

Anyway, MediHaze is supposed to be more of a true medicine, but we shall see. Am hoping it will kill the pain and not get me high. Then I can promote the hell out of this for people with pain who want to function well everyday.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Legal, thanks for the shout out, but it was not my grow you saw that in. I am actually in the process of getting up and running again now. But looking good so far in there. Definitely time to get a coat of paint on; definitely something to get done before plants are going to be completely filling it up.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

Legal, I too have experienced that parinoia. It can be due to the negative view that a lot of the free world still holds for what we do, bottom line, you are not hurting anyone including yourself, I treat it as all good things in life, moderation. Keep up the good work!!!

indonesia

indonesia

lucky mother russia...i would do disgusting foul things to have a spot like that. my god. looks kinda like the scenery in eastern WA. only thing my spot has going for it is a basement ha wanna trade :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom