24/0 veg -> 16/8 flower light schedule questions

• Thread starter TheWalkingPlant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Hello Farm,

Let me preface this by stating that I do not think this is a good way to do things, and I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just trying to glean any info I can learn before trying this experiment again.

anyway, I am trying to turn an unintentional mistake into a learning experience and wanted to see if anyone had any rabbit holes for me to research on the topic. I can’t seem to find anything about intentionally using 24/0 veg and 16/8 flower schedule. Everything I see about alternative light schedules is just about 11/13

tldr: plants went from indoor 24/0 to outside roughly 16ish hours of day in mid - late June. They’re mid flower right now, and all have been pollinated. Wondering if they’ll finish, or reveg then finish, if seeds will finish if it regenerates, and if I will have a higher biomass due to more light hours during bulk, but still have benefits of decent quality with a quicker finish since they were acclimated to 24/0.

Long version: I took my plants from inside under fluorescent light at 24/0 and started to harden them off in late June. I ended up having to go out of town for a week, so They were left outside where they got about ~6ish hours of direct mid day sun, and about 16 hours of ambient light. I’m just glad they all stayed healthy while it was hot and bright AF that week. One of my seeds actually stunted, but I was too stubborn to kill it. I’m in SoCal.

Anyway this brings me to my questions. While I would not regularly veg indoor for an outdoor plant, I am considering the pros / cons of how it is working out as of now. We’re in mid July now and the plants are still chugging along in flower, no signs of wanting to reveg, most have started producing resin, and seem to be going at regular pace (although This the first time I’ve flowered several of the strains, so I don’t have anything to compare them to). I have a flowering male inside that I’m using to pollinate. I’m curious to see how it goes, more specifically If they either 1- finish normally and end up having way more light during bulking phase, 2- if they regenerate, if I still get mature seeds out of it, and then I get the option of re flowering like a normal season with the bonus of having some seeds to test / eat in the off season. I’ve heard you can pollinate a plant in veg if it’s producing hairs, and that a plant will finish producing seeds even if it regenerates, but my attempts at this have never been successful.

what I came here to ask is this: I’ve seen / heard a lot of talk about the 11/13 cycle and how it’s helps with quality / speed but sacrifices yield. Seems like 13/11 gets you higher yield, but a sacrifice in quality and takes longer to finish. I’m wondering if you can achieve both higher yields without sacrificing quality and speed if the plants are acclimated to 24/0 and then flower at 16/8 and finish mid summer with the light being most intense while they ripen. I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel or over complicate things, I’m just trying to see if I can learn something while making some lemonade. I’m also thinking that I might be able to just do a full open outdoor pollination without being that asshole since it seems that nobody else would have any plants in flower atm? I’m thinking I might try to recreate this scenario, but either: 1- time it differently (start some earlier / later) or 2- use supplemental light in the beginning to make it seem to the plant like the days are getting shorter instead of longer. So far the only issue I’m having is that the landrace male that I was hoping to use is taking for-fucking-ever to drop pollen so the only seeds I actually have growing atm are from the one random male I didn’t kill from last seed pop, so they’re probably going to end up just being expensive non organic food. I guess I also have a secondary question being if a stunted female plant can actually make viable seeds? Or if they will be fubar.

Current status / pictures of plants are attached.

lookiny for any advice, pointers, direction, research, opinions, criticism, funny memes, etc...

thanks farm

240 veg   168 flower light schedule questions
240 veg   168 flower light schedule questions 2
240 veg   168 flower light schedule questions 3
240 veg   168 flower light schedule questions 4
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hello Farm,

Let me preface this by stating that I do not think this is a good way to do things, and I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just trying to glean any info I can learn before trying this experiment again.

anyway, I am trying to turn an unintentional mistake into a learning experience and wanted to see if anyone had any rabbit holes for me to research on the topic. I can’t seem to find anything about intentionally using 24/0 veg and 16/8 flower schedule. Everything I see about alternative light schedules is just about 11/13

tldr: plants went from indoor 24/0 to outside roughly 16ish hours of day in mid - late June. They’re mid flower right now, and all have been pollinated. Wondering if they’ll finish, or reveg then finish, if seeds will finish if it regenerates, and if I will have a higher biomass due to more light hours during bulk, but still have benefits of decent quality with a quicker finish since they were acclimated to 24/0.

Long version: I took my plants from inside under fluorescent light at 24/0 and started to harden them off in late June. I ended up having to go out of town for a week, so They were left outside where they got about ~6ish hours of direct mid day sun, and about 16 hours of ambient light. I’m just glad they all stayed healthy while it was hot and bright AF that week. One of my seeds actually stunted, but I was too stubborn to kill it. I’m in SoCal.

Anyway this brings me to my questions. While I would not regularly veg indoor for an outdoor plant, I am considering the pros / cons of how it is working out as of now. We’re in mid July now and the plants are still chugging along in flower, no signs of wanting to reveg, most have started producing resin, and seem to be going at regular pace (although This the first time I’ve flowered several of the strains, so I don’t have anything to compare them to). I have a flowering male inside that I’m using to pollinate. I’m curious to see how it goes, more specifically If they either 1- finish normally and end up having way more light during bulking phase, 2- if they regenerate, if I still get mature seeds out of it, and then I get the option of re flowering like a normal season with the bonus of having some seeds to test / eat in the off season. I’ve heard you can pollinate a plant in veg if it’s producing hairs, and that a plant will finish producing seeds even if it regenerates, but my attempts at this have never been successful.

what I came here to ask is this: I’ve seen / heard a lot of talk about the 11/13 cycle and how it’s helps with quality / speed but sacrifices yield. Seems like 13/11 gets you higher yield, but a sacrifice in quality and takes longer to finish. I’m wondering if you can achieve both higher yields without sacrificing quality and speed if the plants are acclimated to 24/0 and then flower at 16/8 and finish mid summer with the light being most intense while they ripen. I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel or over complicate things, I’m just trying to see if I can learn something while making some lemonade. I’m also thinking that I might be able to just do a full open outdoor pollination without being that asshole since it seems that nobody else would have any plants in flower atm? I’m thinking I might try to recreate this scenario, but either: 1- time it differently (start some earlier / later) or 2- use supplemental light in the beginning to make it seem to the plant like the days are getting shorter instead of longer. So far the only issue I’m having is that the landrace male that I was hoping to use is taking for-fucking-ever to drop pollen so the only seeds I actually have growing atm are from the one random male I didn’t kill from last seed pop, so they’re probably going to end up just being expensive non organic food. I guess I also have a secondary question being if a stunted female plant can actually make viable seeds? Or if they will be fubar.

Current status / pictures of plants are attached.

lookiny for any advice, pointers, direction, research, opinions, criticism, funny memes, etc...

thanks farm
The wheels go around without too many bumps at 12/12...11/13 sucks (imho) I tried it for 1 run and was disappointed with small airy buds and I'm back to 12/12....I've recently been told I can increase light hours to 18 on my last 7 - 10 days in flower if I lower the intensity of the light from my 1000w hps - 600w to help fill in & thicken small lose buds. I haven't tried that yet but its something I might give a whirl.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I think a lot of what your suggesting is very strain dependent to a large degree. Some high leaning Indica's are just going to tolerate more sunlight without popping out.

I have to say I'm with pipecarver on this one. Things can be done, but it's always going to come at a cost to yield and density, even if the strain will allow manipulation of the time schedule. 12/12 are simply the best solution for a photoperiod plant, IMHO.

That said, it's again it's strain dependent, and you might certainly find a cultivar that could be the exception to that rule. My guess would be some of those cultivars with some of Rudy in the mixture, but not a lot is required. I've had some surprisingly good results manipulating light after introducing them into a cultivar.

Once you start screwing with schedules, density generally goes out the window.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Your plants are not going to reveg. Some strains will go into flower when started indoors and moved outdoors. I think it has something to do with far red light that the plants get for the last couple of hours of daylight. But regardless of how it happens, it does happen.

It makes sense that you'd get more growth with more light.

The only good thing I've heard about an 11/13 cycle is that different phenotypes show more obvious expression when run that way. Not being a breeder, it's not something I've been compelled to try.

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Your plants are not going to reveg. Some strains will go into flower when started indoors and moved outdoors. I think it has something to do with far red light that the plants get for the last couple of hours of daylight. But regardless of how it happens, it does happen.

It makes sense that you'd get more growth with more light.

The only good thing I've heard about an 11/13 cycle is that different phenotypes show more obvious expression when run that way. Not being a breeder, it's not something I've been compelled to try.
I gotcha. Ya I should have mentioned that when I say inside, these were just in the garage under a light, but the garage let’s in daylight. Several of the plants still seemed to react to the sunlight (like they sleep at sunset/ wake when sun’s coming up). Either way, it seems that you are correct, so thanks.

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

The wheels go around without too many bumps at 12/12...11/13 sucks (imho) I tried it for 1 run and was disappointed with small airy buds and I'm back to 12/12....I've recently been told I can increase light hours to 18 on my last 7 - 10 days in flower if I lower the intensity of the light from my 1000w hps - 600w to help fill in & thicken small lose buds. I haven't tried that yet but its something I might give a whirl.
Oh good to know. I was just experimenting with turning lights down some towards the end. Didn’t think about adding hours tho, but that makes sense and I’m going to give it a shot also

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

I think a lot of what your suggesting is very strain dependent to a large degree. Some high leaning Indica's are just going to tolerate more sunlight without popping out.

I have to say I'm with pipecarver on this one. Things can be done, but it's always going to come at a cost to yield and density, even if the strain will allow manipulation of the time schedule. 12/12 are simply the best solution for a photoperiod plant, IMHO.

That said, it's again it's strain dependent, and you might certainly find a cultivar that could be the exception to that rule. My guess would be some of those cultivars with some of Rudy in the mixture, but not a lot is required. I've had some surprisingly good results manipulating light after introducing them into a cultivar.

Once you start screwing with schedules, density generally goes out the window.
I guess I should expect this round to be fatter than a normal season run then. I wonder if the seeds will be fatter than normal

Latest posts

Top Bottom