24hr veg vs. 18/6 what do you do and why?

• Thread starter deep buddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

grnmountainboy

the only reason to do 18/6 would be to save electricity

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I was under the impression that root growth is maximized in the dark. I believe there are multiple threads on the subject here on the farm. If this is the case, then it really depends on what you plan to do with your plants. If you'll be vegging for a while to get larger plants, then 24/7 might be beneficial because the root space will be used up regardless. If you plan to flower as soon as possible, then having more established roots will probably be beneficial. If you're planning on throwing the plants outside, you want to raise the plants in conditions closer to what its going to experience in nature, so you want some darkness to have less risk of immediate flowering.

K

kes5480

I personally use 24/0 to veg and never had a problem so I'm gonna stick with it. Its nice 2not have 2 use a timer and not have 2 worry bout much since thhe lights are always on......thank you

peace

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

There are several reasons it a dark period is vital to plant health and physiology.

1)Krebs/citric acid cycle.

2)While photosynthesis is taking place (light reactions) the plant can devote much less of its energy to root growth. So while the plants appear to grow faster for a time, the growth is one sided and eventually will be caped by the underdeveloped roots.

There is a strict correlation between the ratio of roots to shoots.

Ill elaborate later when i have some more time.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I honestly don't have the answer and don't even know if the area of investigation that I'm struggling like hell to grasp ATM, the Calvin cycle, is an applicable pathway. I'm also willing to back off of the assumption that 24/0 during first 2 weeks of a clones life will enhance root dev/mass more so than 18/6 will for that particular stage. I don't have definitive proof and have made culture/light source changes along the way.

I've seen op work from assumptions that filter their vision and delude them into seeing what they think they should see in my area of expertise and know, w/ absolute certainty, that their logic is flawed. Maybe the shoe is on the other foot here, but I'm not convinced of that just yet. I'm looking forward to being convinced and going deeper. I know that there's more out there.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Photosynthesis requires water and thus roots, so cuts are putting all energy into rooting anyway. However i know people that root in the dark. I should have a rooting thread up by tomorrow.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Photosynthesis requires water and thus roots, so cuts are putting all energy into rooting anyway. However i know people that root in the dark. I should have a rooting thread up by tomorrow.
Look forward to it and TXIA for the effort and time. I've inadvertently rooted clones in water and mostly dark due to short term space out. I took a half dozen cuts 3-4 weeks into flwr off of a specimen that I wanted to safeguard back-up on, (am returning to indoor action after a hectic and unplanned break), and rooted them outdoors in their mother's container approx 13/12 (and counting down) and they're established. Recieved a tray of cuts grown in sponge plugs from a breeder that had a fully rooted cut w/ an S-1 bean dangling from it. Lots of ways to skin the cat. I'm looking for the gold standard(s) or, at least, to have a better understanding of what those standards might be than the 'maybe, maybe's' that I have on the subject right now. (sound familiar to anyone else?) LOL

deep buddy

deep buddy

thanks for gettin in ds. i know you do some interesting things with your photo period during 12/12 flip. yeah i really want to maximize root development and growth during my veg so that most energy can be put into flowering ie above ground biomass. i have been checking out the metabolic changes during dark and light period. the change is drastic. ive been running 24/0 and using root growth enhancers and endo myc. maybe i can cut that and save money on bills? either way its gonna take awhile to figure out.

E

edux10

im a dumb ass

only reason i run 24hrs veg is cuz i have light leaks and if i run 16-18hrs veg im worried about stress or herm...

also, my grow light is my only light upstairs. without that i couldnt see.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

:D ^^ i dig yer style, dude. i need to get more of that approach back into my life. actually, kinda comes and goes. been killing time til i can open my rooms again and have been livin' up in the head a lot lately.:joint:

metabolic differences? interested in learning more somewhere along the line.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I just switched from the sativa/s doms i've been smoking lately to some real dank, sticky, nut numbing indica shit. Should help. :D

I'm going to take advantage of a currently empty flowering room and start seeds for the strains i decide to go w/ (hopefully before the end of the day), under 24/0 and 18/6. That'll, at least, turn some of the last 3 mos. of shit into some shitade. exact same mixes, nute amts/concentrations and same container size. Don't know if it will verify anything for anyone but in the spirit of wading ahead together in the info stream, I'll offer up what I have and can.

Peace

GG

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

yo db
i've got 2 strains in 1st stage pots and some purple autos i'm popping into 1 gals... autos being a one shot deal, of course. ;-)) one set under 18/6 the other 24/0. both sides going under 2' x 4' T-5 panels- > MH/HPS 2mix later. not going to make a big deal of it. will take a pic or 2 every couple of weeks or so if I see a worthy contrast above and/or below grade. will post them here only if u want. ciao. GG

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

yo db
i've got 2 strains in 1st stage pots and some purple autos i'm popping into 1 gals... autos being a one shot deal, of course. ;-)) one set under 18/6 the other 24/0. both sides going under 2' x 4' T-5 panels- > MH/HPS 2mix later. not going to make a big deal of it. will take a pic or 2 every couple of weeks or so if I see a worthy contrast above and/or below grade. will post them here only if u want. ciao. GG

Photo period means any light, not just the light hanging over the plant in question. Great side by side though, if you can get the 18/6 actual dark for the 6.

The same strain would help a lot as well.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Photo period means any light, not just the light hanging over the plant in question. Great side by side though, if you can get the 18/6 actual dark for the 6.

The same strain would help a lot as well.
Yep. It's an unusual configuration for me. I had to go dark for about 3 mos- moved to the joys of outdoors as it exists in my marine layered, cold crop producing, botritis, cabbage moth lovin', butterfly vacationland.

so, I've got 2 sealed neg air rooms to veg in. Will have discreet pp's for awhile- don't know how long until i map the logistics out.

deep buddy

deep buddy

Yep. It's an unusual configuration for me. I had to go dark for about 3 mos- moved to the joys of outdoors as it exists in my marine layered, cold crop producing, botritis, cabbage moth lovin', butterfly vacationland.

so, I've got 2 sealed neg air rooms to veg in. Will have discreet pp's for awhile- don't know how long until i map the logistics out.

word GG. i dont have the separate spaces for side by side. everything is getting blown out so... but yeah some pics w/ a yardstick and pics of rootballs would be dope.

C

CriMson

depends on what kind of light I'm vegging with. the MH goes on 18/6 but anytime I have a T5 or other floro on them its 24hrs just cause they don't grow as fast as the MH does.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Tester talks about Botritis being used as a crop sweetener in grapes. He wants to try it with cannabis. Can you take some pics?

Top Bottom