2700 year old pot stash found in Gobi desert

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Ancient Pot

Stash of 2,700 years old marijuana found in tomb in Gobi Desert

No, we are not talking about a ceramic object but an ancient stash of marijuana. It was found in a Yanghai tomb in the Gobi Desert near Turpan in northwestern China. The cache consisted of 789g (28oz) of dried cannabis contained in a leather basket and in a wooden bowl. It was around 2,700 years old but had been preserved due to extremely dry conditions and alkaline soil. It looked green, although it had lost its distinctive odour. Remnants of cannabis have been found elsewhere in the ancient world (such as Egypt), but the helpful con ditions in which this cache was found has allowed it to be the oldest so far that could be subjected to carbon dating and genetic analysis. It was also found to have a relatively high content of THC, the main active ingredient in cannabis. An attempt to germinate 100 of the seeds was unsuccessful.

In the past, those sceptical of the mind-altering use of cannabis in prehistory have claimed (somewhat disingenuously) that it was only used for making rope, fabric and so forth, but they can’t get away with that this time. This Chinese sample was clearly “cultivated for psychoactive purposes”, a paper in the peer-reviewed Journal of Experimental Botany states. “To our knowledge, these investigations provide the oldest documentation of cannabis as a pharmacologically active agent,” wrote the paper’s lead author, American neurologist Dr Ethan B Russo. It could not be determined whether the cannabis was smoked or ingested, because there were no pipes or other clues.

Perhaps the strangest aspect of this find is that the cannabis was uncovered in the tomb of a light-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian man, not an Asiatic person. He would have been a member of the somewhat curious Cheshi clan, a group of nomadic people of Indo-European origin who inhabited the region. The tomb also contained bridles, archery equipment and a harp, confirming the 45-year-old man’s high status. The researchers assume he had been a shaman.

Another intriguing side issue regarding this case is that a British laboratory that monitors crop quality for producing Sativex (a cannabis-based medicine approved in Canada) was used to conduct the tests on the cannabis find, but it took months to cut through the red tape hindering the entry of the sample into Britain from China – a perfect cameo showing how eccentric our modern Western attitudes to mind-altering drugs are compared with our ancestors. It is now confirmed that our politic ians who endlessly claim that more tests on cannabis are required, and insist on categor ising it as a dangerous drug, are not only going against the recommendations of their own panels of experts but also the long testimony of history.

Toronto Star/Canadian Press, 27 Nov; Salem-News.com, 28 Nov; MX News (Brisbane), 2 Dec; Austin News/KXAN.com, 3 Dec 2008.

Source: http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/archaeology/1618/ancient_pot.html

Ancientpot big
J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Good read. Thanks for the info FF. :yes

hubcap

hubcap

gypsy's sellin those right now for fund raisers.

i hear its some dank shit.
better than OG even

B

Bio Kid

hubcap gypsy's sellin those right now for fund raisers.

i hear its some dank shit.
better than OG even

muahahahaha you crack me up Hub......I also heard he guarantees 100% germ rates on them too.........

JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe

Premium Member
Supporter
^^^^hehehe>>>>HC
great read, thanks:)

B

Bio Kid

on a side note though I read this article some time ago but how interesting is it that it was preserved that long......crazy aint it

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
i can imagine that wish those damn beans popped probly some extreme fire

A

Alekiboy

Yes this story came out several months ago...
But it's still newsworthy...

Check out these additional pictures...

Funny if you look at the condition of the marijuana, it looks pretty damn good!!!
I would imagine every farmer on this site is interested in taking hit of that stuff....

W

WCC

Indeed .. lol ... So many questions that will go unanswered ... :(

hubcap

hubcap

really would be nice to see what weed was like before people F'd with it, wouldnt it?

another answer we chalk up to "we'll never know, unfortunately"

my first inclination would be:
-the bud wouldnt be anything like were used to today with all the obttlenecking and working the strains goin on......

raises alotta questions, this find, doesnt it?

M

MagicDro

Very interesting article, thanks! Surprised that it lasted that long without turning to dust.... how do I preserve some dank like that!?!? I'd like to save some for my kids kids....

M

mnm5683

Well with all the resin coating it should preserve well anyway, unless the 2700 yr old stuff was coated like a lollipop.......................................................................................................oh sorry got lost in the thought of that.

Oldbay

Oldbay

really would be nice to see what weed was like before people F'd with it, wouldnt it?

my first inclination would be:
-the bud wouldnt be anything like were used to today with all the obttlenecking and working the strains goin on......

Different I'm sure, but I'm sure it was still messed with, if you call 1000s of years of selective breeding messing with it. This was "only" 2700 years ago when we have over 120,000 years (at least) of humans largely unchanged (evolved to the same specs of mind and body) to what we are today. They were likely judging and selecting the dank just like we are today, except we have the great indoors to really help things along several times a year.

That is a huge stash to have on hand.

Top Bottom