2nd Grow Dwc

• Thread starter NotaRasta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Whats up farm,
Started my 2nd grow recently so I decided it was a good idea to start a journal.
I got 6 seeds 3 True OG and 3 King Tut from Canuck Seeds. All 6 sprouted but lost one of the King Tut.
Started the seeds in rapid rooters. Im growing in 6inch netpots with hydroton 5gal buckets and Im using a modified Jacks formula that I found in one of Capulators threads. So far plants seem to respond really well to formula.

I put all plants in the buckets on 9-16-17 except one that was alittle behind it went in 5 days later. So I'm on day 15 of veg and other than the heat wave we had here in Michigan in late September things are looking good. Roots are starting to find the water and things are taking off. Ill post some pics tomorrow.

King Julien

King Julien

I can't say where I am, only that we've also been battling quite the heatwave lately. It's finally starting to break and we're not having 88 degree days in September anymore. Watch them temps and you'll be fine.

DWC is my way to go. It may not be "the" way but it's the way that works for me. Interested in seeing what you've got to work with there.

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

20171003 200132
20171003 200143
20171003 200135
20171003 200141
here are some shots of the ladies so far

20171003 200148
NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Had slimy roots lastnight. So I dumped all buckets and cleaned them up really good swapped out airstones as well as new airlines. Fresh nutes a few minutes ago and they look healthy for now. Im not sure what im going to do though my water temp stays right around 75 all the time. I added hydroguard and I have alot of air pumping inthe buckets. My ogbiowar order should arrive today maybe that will work but hoping for the best.

20171006 083018
Enforcer

Enforcer

Throw a few one litter bottles filled with frozen water, into your res. Monitor temperature. Reapply as needed. Next best thing to a water chiller. That water needs to be between 66*-68*F. Over 70* and bacteria starts to grow.

Last edited:
fatawa

fatawa

I had that same problem yrs ago when i first startd dwc.i use hps threw out grow but for me the light heatd those buckets up since there black.i went to 10gal rubbermaid totes that r a grey.never issues since.but water bottles def wrk cuz thats wat i did at the time.idt it matters but i always took the labels off too.i doubt glue wud do anything but i didnt wanna find out.but u got 5 buckets so freeze 15bottles,thats 3 times a day u switch them out

King Julien

King Julien

Had slimy roots lastnight. So I dumped all buckets and cleaned them up really good swapped out airstones as well as new airlines. Fresh nutes a few minutes ago and they look healthy for now. Im not sure what im going to do though my water temp stays right around 75 all the time. I added hydroguard and I have alot of air pumping inthe buckets. My ogbiowar order should arrive today maybe that will work but hoping for the best.

I've never tried organic DWC but only because I had so much luck with sterile using calcium hypochlorite. Small amount every other day keeps everything at bay. I even replant seedlings from soil to hydro after they are 8-12 inches tall and you CAN NOT get all the soil off of the roots and it keeps muck from forming.

Good luck with your bio-program though. If it doesn't go well always know there's a 10 dollar solution that will last for years.

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

I have some seeds to pop still. I got some stuff together to do hempy buckets. I know a few people that really like growing that way so I'll try it out. Im still going to continue this run unless it goes to far south. Either way its a learning experience. My last dwc grow went smooth. I guess it was just a matter of time. Hahaha

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Well I made a decision just to switch everything over to hempys. I appreciate the suggestions offered but don't feel like dealing issues related to dwc. I'm using 5gal buckets and 70:30 cocco perilite mix. Still intend on using same nutes though. Lets see how it goes.

King Julien

King Julien

Well I made a decision just to switch everything over to hempys. I appreciate the suggestions offered but don't feel like dealing issues related to dwc. I'm using 5gal buckets and 70:30 cocco perilite mix. Still intend on using same nutes though. Lets see how it goes.

And I don't feel like dealing with the issues related to soil or coco perlite mixes.

Just find what works for you brother. If you grow good stuff and get over a half a gram a watt you've already beat a hell of a lot of people at this hobby.

I should mention that I also don't use lightproof buckets and do not chill my water. I use white or yellow or orange buckets and keep tent temps down so my water stays around 71-73 degrees but the calcium hypochlorite does it's job anyway. Forgot to add that to my original posts.

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

And I don't feel like dealing with the issues related to soil or coco perlite mixes.

Just find what works for you brother. If you grow good stuff and get over a half a gram a watt you've already beat a hell of a lot of people at this hobby.

I should mention that I also don't use lightproof buckets and do not chill my water. I use white or yellow or orange buckets and keep tent temps down so my water stays around 71-73 degrees but the calcium hypochlorite does it's job anyway. Forgot to add that to my original posts.
Ill keep that in mind

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

It seems the ladies are enjoying their new home. I've water them a few times so far. I'll do my best to not mess the rest of this grow up. I popped some more seeds some blueberry and white widow feminized once they're ready they'll be going into buckets. Until then here are a few pics

20171010 065234
20171010 065239
NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Not all pics will upload for whatever reason. Not much else to show really.
Until my next update. Grow on

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

More new growth today. It would seem that my decision to switch growing styles is paying for now. Just had two more seeds sprouting Blueberry and White Widow femenized that I got as freebies from my last order. I didnt really want to run a bunch of different strains but since they were free I said screw it. Anyway I'll post some pics in few days so you can see some progress.
Grow on mofos!

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

New pics from tonight. Im taking off for the weekend hopefully when I get home they'll be ready to top.

20171012 235542
20171012 235524
20171012 235427
20171012 235517
NotaRasta

NotaRasta

I put my seedlings right into the 5gal bucket. This was a mistake. They havent grown at all. I hope its just because the roots are doing all the growing right now. On the plus side Ill know for sure when they reach the res at the bottom!

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I put my seedlings right into the 5gal bucket. This was a mistake. They havent grown at all. I hope its just because the roots are doing all the growing right now. On the plus side Ill know for sure when they reach the res at the bottom!
Ya the roots need to fill that pot before you'll get some good growth.
You need to keep that coco all the way wet. Don't let coco get dry. You will have salt build up which will make your ppm skyrocket.
Every time you water oxygen is pulled down thru you're root system. Fight the urge to let it dry out as it is NOT soil. The only time IMO you will see any "overwatering" symptoms is if that coco at the bottom is left sitting and no new oxygen is pulled down thru
Feed with every watering at least once a day to runoff.
It might be slow with those buckets at first but once the roots fill in she will take off. Then you can start feeding more times a day.

NotaRasta

NotaRasta

Ya the roots need to fill that pot before you'll get some good growth.
You need to keep that coco all the way wet. Don't let coco get dry. You will have salt build up which will make your ppm skyrocket.
Every time you water oxygen is pulled down thru you're root system. Fight the urge to let it dry out as it is NOT soil. The only time IMO you will see any "overwatering" symptoms is if that coco at the bottom is left sitting and no new oxygen is pulled down thru
Feed with every watering at least once a day to runoff.
It might be slow with those buckets at first but once the roots fill in she will take off. Then you can start feeding more times a day.
Thanks for that info. I havent been watering everyday. I do feed nutes every watering though.

Top Bottom