**2nd Grow** SpiderFarmer SF4000 , NFTG #4 -Sour Power-Hella Jelly-Strawberry Cheesecake- 3x3 Tent

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks for the heads up!
BTW, the other night I did some internet researching on Pineapple Upside Down Cake ... seems there's been a lot of reports of it herming. I don't have a percentage because there's no mechanism to compare growers who had issues with those who didn't. However, it does sound like it would be best to keep a close eye on them. Let's hope for the best. I'm sure far more growers out there have had success. Otherwise I'm not sure the strain would still be available.

It seems like you have a knack to choose strains with a genetic predisposition to produce male flowers mid grow. An alternative would be looking at regular seeds in your chosen strains. A lot of people say they are more stable.

Personally, it's been a long time since I had trouble with hermaphrodites.Those were due to new grower mistakes like over-looking light leaks and not paying enough attention to the environment.

Dothraki

Dothraki

BTW, the other night I did some internet researching on Pineapple Upside Down Cake ... seems there's been a lot of reports of it herming. I don't have a percentage because there's no mechanism to compare growers who had issues with those who didn't. However, it does sound like it would be best to keep a close eye on them. Let's hope for the best. I'm sure far more growers out there have had success. Otherwise I'm not sure the strain would still be available.

It seems like you have a knack to choose strains with a genetic predisposition to produce male flowers mid grow. An alternative would be looking at regular seeds in your chosen strains. A lot of people say they are more stable.

Personally, it's been a long time since I had trouble with hermaphrodites.Those were due to new grower mistakes like over-looking light leaks and not paying enough attention to the environment.
Yeah I think Humboldt’s stuff has a tendency to herm, especial when trainwreck is in there. But like with the Pineapple…it is so good I will probably grow it again sometime. Zero seeds even though it hermed. Thought about regular seeds but then I’d need more space, more soil, more nutes etc.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yeah I think Humboldt’s stuff has a tendency to herm, especial when trainwreck is in there. But like with the Pineapple…it is so good I will probably grow it again sometime. Zero seeds even though it hermed. Thought about regular seeds but then I’d need more space, more soil, more nutes etc.
Not as much as you might think. Once the males are culled, it's pretty much the same. If you're flipping them young, you might be ok. If you're already transplanting 2 times, culling before the final transplant will cut down on soil. More is used, but not necessarily a huge amount more. Some strains are only offered in regulars.

growsince79

growsince79

Not as much as you might think. Once the males are culled, it's pretty much the same. If you're flipping them young, you might be ok. If you're already transplanting 2 times, culling before the final transplant will cut down on soil. More is used, but not necessarily a huge amount more. Some strains are only offered in regulars.
+1
and use the mix from the males the last transplant it doesn't use any extra soil. Don't need extra space because they are still small.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

This is what I'm using. Something to think about going forward ... 2' long tubes would work well in your 3 x 3. It's early veg temporary lighting that you can hang under your SF4000 race horse. Remove it when you're getting enough growth where you'd like to see some stretching. Pull the trigger on the other light and off to the races you go.

I have them under the cabinets in my kitchen, lighting my shop, in my greenhouse and I've been using them as a veg light for a couple of years.
wait wait wait por favor. I'm using a 600w hlg blackbird for clones at the moment. I think what you are saying is one of those lights is great for early veg, clones too?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

@Dothraki

For a future grow, a nice one is chem dog. I'll be running Greenhouse Seed's version of it on my next grow. It's a parent of the original Sour D. I'll also be growing Humboldt Seed Company's Lemon Grass ... You wouldn't know anything about that strain would you? LOL I also have Raspberry Lemonade lined up ... It's a creation of one of our forum members. I'm looking forward to that.
I have never grown Greenhouse before but @Zombierider turned me onto them. Now I have Bubba Kush, Banana Krumble, and just today I received Dark Phoenix. Heck yeah on that Chem Dog recc. Grew some Chem Cookies my 1st and only grow. Loved em

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

wait wait wait por favor. I'm using a 600w hlg blackbird for clones at the moment. I think what you are saying is one of those lights is great for early veg, clones too?
@PerfecTrader Yes, from when they sprout through early veg. The blue light will help keep them stocky. You wouldn't use this arrangement long term... just a few weeks probably. Eventually you'd want to up the intensity which is where your HLG would take over. This blue-er light works well for clones too.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

@PerfecTrader Yes, from when they sprout through early veg. The blue light will help keep them stocky. You wouldn't use this arrangement long term... just a few weeks probably. Eventually you'd want to up the intensity which is where your HLG would take over. This blue-er light works well for clones too.
That is awesome and ty. I am for sure going to get one here shortly. Makes total sense thanks

Dothraki

Dothraki

This will be my first time topping. My goal is to get a shape I can keep small and uniform so it takes up less space.

Would this be 3 nodes right now or 2? And if I’m keeping it small would I top earlier? I know some people remove bottom branches when they are a little older, maybe thinking about doing that as well…little bit of stripping, cutting, get a few nice colas for each plant?

6CF91320 0266 4FBB 9762 084F30F9BB72

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

This will be my first time topping. My goal is to get a shape I can keep small and uniform so it takes up less space.

Would this be 3 nodes right now or 2? And if I’m keeping it small would I top earlier? I know some people remove bottom branches when they are a little older, maybe thinking about doing that as well…little bit of stripping, cutting, get a few nice colas for each plant?

View attachment 1278219

She's pretty 🌝
I don't think I have ever seen the same answer as to where nodes start. Heard things like nodes start after cotyledons, after 1st 5 finger leaf, and countless other. This and when vegetative stage begins, both bother me because even pros answers seem to differ. Personally I would wait for 1 or 2 more nodes to send it

growsince79

growsince79

View attachment 1278219
Looks like it's working on the 5th set now. You can top it anywhere and keep the 4 top branches. I'd cut above 4 and toss the bottom 4 and keep the top 4 branches.

growsince79

growsince79

View attachment 1278219
Day 17. Topped after 3rd node @ day 14.

SpiderFarmerLED

Supporter
So it’s been about 3 weeks… definitely slower than my coco grow, I wonder what the roots look like, I’ll check maybe this weekend or wait until I transplant.

But they are looking like some troopers. Whatever they didn’t like in the 2nd week didn’t kill them, so I’m hoping it made them more resilient lol.

Only The Strong Survive

^^ That’s my grow philosophy

😂

View attachment 1274334

View attachment 1274335
💪 💪 💪 🥳 🥳 🥳 baby girls

Dothraki

Dothraki

She's pretty 🌝
I don't think I have ever seen the same answer as to where nodes start. Heard things like nodes start after cotyledons, after 1st 5 finger leaf, and countless other. This and when vegetative stage begins, both bother me because even pros answers seem to differ. Personally I would wait for 1 or 2 more nodes to send it
I think this is 1 out of 2 of the Healthiest looking in the bunch. I actually forgot to mention this strain because it was popped last minute, called All Gas OG aka Asphalt Plant. Hoping to be my sleepy time strain 😴
I see what ya mean…I keep looking for an answer and some people count from the cotyledons and some count from the 3rd node up it seems lol. When you say wait for 1 or 2 nodes…would you cut at those nodes or wait for 2 more then cut where it is now? Like is it beneficial to let the plant get a little bigger before topping to help the recovery?

Looks like it's working on the 5th set now. You can top it anywhere and keep the 4 top branches. I'd cut above 4 and toss the bottom 4 and keep the top 4 branches.
So would that pretty much look like an X with a cola at each end? That sounds like it would be nice and clean, take up less space and make it super easy to get the watering can in there, prune etc.. I need to see a pic, but is that the right idea in a nutshell?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I think this is 1 out of 2 of the Healthiest looking in the bunch. I actually forgot to mention this strain because it was popped last minute, called All Gas OG aka Asphalt Plant. Hoping to be my sleepy time strain 😴
I see what ya mean…I keep looking for an answer and some people count from the cotyledons and some count from the 3rd node up it seems lol. When you say wait for 1 or 2 nodes…would you cut at those nodes or wait for 2 more then cut where it is now? Like is it beneficial to let the plant get a little bigger before topping to help the recovery?

So would that pretty much look like an X with a cola at each end? That sounds like it would be nice and clean, take up less space and make it super easy to get the watering can in there, prune etc.. I need to see a pic, but is that the right idea in a nutshell?
It sounds to me like you want to manifold your plants. Pro - pretty uniform canopy, good airflow and light to each cola to mention a few. Con - You could be vegging for 3 months. You'll have to decide if this technique is for you.

I still prefer LST/Super-cropping to topping/mainlining (manifold) but that is mainly due to the longer veg time involved.

growsince79

growsince79

These 2 were topped once and flipped on day 21. Will harvest 85 days from sprout. Make about 2oz each. They take up 1/3 of my 2 x 4..

IMG 20220904 221440720
Dothraki

Dothraki

It sounds to me like you want to manifold your plants. Pro - pretty uniform canopy, good airflow and light to each cola to mention a few. Con - You could be vegging for 3 months. You'll have to decide if this technique is for you.

I still prefer LST/Super-cropping to topping/mainlining (manifold) but that is mainly due to the longer veg time involved.
I was thinking more like, leave 3 nodes (possibly cut the lowest set of branches later) and have 4 main branches and keep them stripped on the lower thirds. LST each branch with tie downs so it’s the width of the pot in an X shape but the ends of the X grow straight upwards with colas on each. I think my buddy does something similar, where the trunk and stem structure resembles one of those copper colored wire claws you get from Bed Bath & Beyond to “massage” your scalp. Like an upside down one of those. I suppose it is similar to manifold but without all the little secondary offshoot branches. Would it be an extra couple months veg just from topping? Or is it the topping plus stripping etc?

These 2 were topped once and flipped on day 21. Will harvest 85 days from sprout. Make about 2oz each. They take up 1/3 of my 2 x 4..
Do you have a pic of what the skeleton looks like after drying? Or where I can see the stem/branch structure?

Top Bottom