2x Viparspectra V300 or 1x HLG 100 V2 3000K for Veg?

• Thread starter PiGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PiGrow

PiGrow

Hey everyone!

Looking for opinions here:

2x Viparspectra V300 or 1x HLG 100 V2 3000K for vegetative growth in a 2x3ft space?

I just ordered the V300's on Amazon but am seeing so many good things about the HLG, and its literally a 6.00 difference.

What would you all do?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey everyone!

Looking for opinions here:

2x Viparspectra V300 or 1x HLG 100 V2 3000K for vegetative growth in a 2x3ft space?

I just ordered the V300's on Amazon but am seeing so many good things about the HLG, and its literally a 6.00 difference.

What would you all do?
2 viper. Hlg quality is way better last longer in sure and more efficient. But you talking about 270w true watts vs 100 true watts. Just don't be surprised if one burns out on ya

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

my plants are doing pretty darn good with the
🤓it's 135 w and doing a 2 x 3 for veg right now . I really like this light. i'd buy another but I NEED A TENT AND A FLOWER LIGHT (mars hydro)😒
Hlg are great lights I run the hlg 600. OP how much are you looking to spend. There are some other options that are extremely comparable to hlg almost identical for cheap. Not a fan of the blurples with cheap diodes and drivers.

PiGrow

PiGrow

Hlg are great lights I run the hlg 600. OP how much are you looking to spend. There are some other options that are extremely comparable to hlg almost identical for cheap. Not a fan of the blurples with cheap diodes and drivers.

No real top end of budget. I will admit I am a 'buy once, cry once' kind of person. I'd like to set this up right, and expect 2 years of life from my equipment.

Sounds like no matter what, the Vipar's are outmatched at the same price in a lot of ways?

What about this option:
https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-High-Efficiency-Upgraded/dp/B07C59J8L2/

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There your man OP @Buzzer777

PiGrow

PiGrow

Hmmm now I'm pondering between the HGL 65 and HGL 100 for Veg only...the 65 4000K seems like a great value at 100.00

420baby

420baby

my plants are doing pretty darn good with the
🤓it's 135 w and doing a 2 x 3 for veg right now . I really like this light. i'd buy another but I NEED A TENT AND A FLOWER LIGHT (mars hydro)😒
Well, if you are looking for Mars, check their SP250. two pcs will let your plants happy.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Hmmm now I'm pondering between the HGL 65 and HGL 100 for Veg only...the 65 4000K seems like a great value at 100.00
@PiGrow

Here is a link to something that I think may be of interest. I use larger versions of this in my grows and also have boards from HLG. IMO the Kingbrite products are at least equal to HLG in every detail. The quality is outstanding and they ship using Priority services to the USA. They respond to inquiry's very fast (allowing for the time difference)

These are NOT DIY. You just attach the MEANWELL branded driver (Not a generic knockoff) with 2 wires and the supplied Wago connectors (modern wirenuts), mount the driver and hang! Nothing more and everything was supplied. I can do all of myself, but they do it MUCH better. This also comes with the Meanwell driver with built in external leads and potientiometer for dimming. (very very nice)
Don't forget to add the freight, which will bring their 288 right in line with HLG 100 offerings. You would get a 125 watt (actual) for the same $$ as the other lesser power lights + the far red diodes too.

If you click on their logo, they have tons of products that use Samsung 301b and the newer Samsung 301h diodes . They also give you a choice of Epistar (less quality), or Cree (High quality, but more $$) for your far red. They are available in most spectrums including 3000k

Love mine and will continue replacing my older lights with similar but larger models. There is no garbage anything, including the Higher quality Meanwell drivers that they use. From the connectors to the hardware board..everything is super high quality. (the Yo-yo hangers suck and the provided wire hangers are too long. You can simply double up the wire hangers and they are about perfect!

If I may be of any assistance, plz yell, and I have no interest in any manufacturer that I am recommending.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No real top end of budget. I will admit I am a 'buy once, cry once' kind of person. I'd like to set this up right, and expect 2 years of life from my equipment.

Sounds like no matter what, the Vipar's are outmatched at the same price in a lot of ways?

What about this option: https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-High-Efficiency-Upgraded/dp/B07C59J8L2/
Check out @Buzzer777 post. It's going to be the best possible led for the price hands down. Dimmable I find to be very useful.

Which ever ya go with. You want 40-50 (true watts) watts per sq. Ft. For the most optimal lighting

Last edited:
PiGrow

PiGrow

Thanks everyone! I'm going to check them out for sure! It'll either be them or the HGL 100 --> I'd consider paying for the HGL literally because I'm excited, the weekend is coming where I can work on the garden, and its available via Amazon Prime in one day.

@Buzzer777 has by far the most economical suggestion, I'm literally just weighing if excitement is worth a little extra cash lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks everyone! I'm going to check them out for sure! It'll either be them or the HGL 100 --> I'd consider paying for the HGL literally because I'm excited, the weekend is coming where I can work on the garden, and its available via Amazon Prime in one day.

@Buzzer777 has by far the most economical suggestion, I'm literally just weighing if excitement is worth a little extra cash lol
In this business... Patience is not only a virtue....It's a must. The far reds incorporated in the others are beneficial.

If ya have the extra money have at it. But like I say 40-50w per sq ft. For optimal lighting. You can get away with probably as low as 30

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

In this business... Patience is not only a virtue....It's a must. The far reds incorporated in the others are beneficial.

If ya have the extra money have at it. But like I say 40-50w per sq ft. For optimal lighting. You can get away with probably as low as 30
Too add:
If the budget won't allow for the built in Far Red; you can add some later..Lots of options here including: (a Gromau5 and rapid Collaboration).
https://www.amazon.com/Far-Red-LED-Initiator-Puck/dp/B073X5XSKB

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

It surely is imo

The burple in the center is a high end one from Unitfarm using Cree and Oshram diodes, and not the cheaper epistars. It is only 175 true watts, but is a beast ! (got it free for testing one..retail was over $400usd.

The long skinny thing is a Far red thing that I whipped up with parts from RapidLED

8 27 19

PiGrow

PiGrow

@Buzzer777 Thanks SO much for the input! For further framing, I will be using this light ONLY for veg. Flower will likely be CMH in a separate area of the property. Given only veg, and clones under this, would I still want to add reds?

I used to veg under T5 or MH in 2010, and then flowered under 860W of HPS (2x 430w Hortilux) --> Typical old school stuff. Unit Farm's first UFO was just coming out when I was calming down.

Would you recommend anything Unit Farm? Again, I don't mind the expense, and I am not growing commercially, so it's not about grams to dollars, or some ROI / TCO point. This is pure enjoyment, and keeps me from buying retail :) I also have wife approval now, which is an expiring commodity lol.

I should also say that power, heat, etc are all things that can be controlled. So reccomendations of things that are not LED are totally welcome as well.

Thanks everyone!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

@Buzzer777 Thanks SO much for the input! For further framing, I will be using this light ONLY for veg. Flower will likely be CMH in a separate area of the property. Given only veg, and clones under this, would I still want to add reds?

I used to veg under T5 or MH in 2010, and then flowered under 860W of HPS (2x 430w Hortilux) --> Typical old school stuff. Unit Farm's first UFO was just coming out when I was calming down.

Would you recommend anything Unit Farm? Again, I don't mind the expense, and I am not growing commercially, so it's not about grams to dollars, or some ROI / TCO point. This is pure enjoyment, and keeps me from buying retail :) I also have wife approval now, which is an expiring commodity lol.

I should also say that power, heat, etc are all things that can be controlled. So reccomendations of things that are not LED are totally welcome as well.

Thanks everyone!
The nice thing about 3000k LEDs is that they are multi purpose, and can be used for flower just in case your other flowering light(s) blow a bulb💡

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

IMO, Unitfarm is way over priced, and I would never purchase anything burple myself. It does SEEM to add something, and I value what ever it is, but my bath tub grow (LMAO) is only HLG stuff.)

QB 1 20 181

Top Bottom