30 Amp Switcher Thingy

• Thread starter oxanaca
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oxanaca

oxanaca

Hey so im currently running 4 1150 watt gavitas off of a 30 amp 240v dryer outlet. I would like to upgrade to 8 lights. Heres a picture.
30 amp switcher thingy
Im wondering if theres a device that I could could hook up to my 30 amp dryer outlet. That would allow me to plug in to and flip between two 30 amp lighting controller's every 12 hours.

Sort of a flip box for controllers instead of ballasts.

I suppose I should mention that Im in a rental and cant modify my wiring. And would rather not have to disconnect my oven and have to run a big fat black cable down the stairs.

If anyone could come up with some suggestions ot would be sweet

Myco

Myco

Junction box, two seperate light controllers... done!

I don't know if there's something you can just plug on to and battabing...

Myco

Myco

I realize I should've been more specific...

You would be removing the actual plug, turning it into a junction box, split the single circuit into two separate 240v outlets.

And also there needs to be a delay between the cycles so that there's no chance of both 4kw setups being on at the same time, peep that thread Tobor posted, looks like solid info there.

Natural

Natural

Myco's post is a pretty solid idea. Not sure how much wire you have to work with behind that dryer receptacle...should be enough to work with..could also be pretty tight and could make it more difficult. I'd want to swap that receptacle box out for a junction box..use strain reliefs and for your junctions I'd use split bolts and wrap them very well with high temp electrical tape. It's not the safest route though..and not code.
Another way to do it would be to do some panel work. Should be easy access there in the basement. Take that 30 amp breaker out of the panel..pull the wires..cap and tape them..leave them tucked outside the panel..so when you move out..you can change it back easily. Put in a 60 amp breaker..wire a new line with 6-2 grounded to a subpanel. From there you can break it down to (4) 15amp double pole breakers. Wire up some nema 6-15r receptacles and your in business. Each double pole 15 amp breaker will run 2 lights. Then buy one of the gavita EL1 light controllers. Those things can do some amazing stuff.
With @fishwhistle in this convo. The light controllers you plan to use..will be forced to have the relay constantly engaged and the quality of most grow store controllers is always in question. It's an easy way to avoid building a subpanel/load center and doing panel work...but in the end I think you'd be very happy with it. Wish I had given the same advice to somebody else I know. ;)

Olyver

Olyver

Get to lighting controllers for 4 ballasts each, then use a digital wall switch timer, Aube or Honeywell, add a DPDT relay and use that to switch 120V to each of the two lighting controllers trigger cables.

Natural

Natural

Get to lighting controllers for 4 ballasts each, then use a digital wall switch timer, Aube or Honeywell, add a DPDT relay and use that to switch 120V to each of the two lighting controllers trigger cables.
def sounds safer than 2 timers..nice
howdy hey @Olyver :D

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I dont think His lights are the E series you can use with the gavita controllers natural. Can you run some romex from the fusebox to the grow area easily?Looks like a basement?You could add a temporary line using the ovens circuit breaker,i think they are usually 50 amps,you could put it back quick style if you move by just putting the oven wires back in the breaker.Just a thought for a down and dirty solution.Your fucked if you wanna cook a turkey though,lol.

oxanaca

oxanaca

Hey thanks for all the responses guys.
I am in a basement. The panel is 12 feet to the left of where my dryer outlet is located. Also I have the standard gavitas not the e series
Get two lighting controllers for 4 ballasts each, then use a digital wall switch timer, Aube or Honeywell, add a DPDT relay and use that to switch 120V to each of the two lighting controllers trigger cables.

I like your idea, it seems safe and effective. The only part im missing is
How I would hook up both lighting controllers at the same time to the outlet. how do you suggest I do this

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

12' is really close if you wanted to string a temp line,simplest solution.

oxanaca

oxanaca

12' is really close if you wanted to string a temp line,simplest solution.
I agree with you it would be the easiest way. I even have a 50amp light controller with two trigger cables. But I have to finish two more grows here about 11 weeks each and ive been making edibles in the oven pretty much every day.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Gotcha,Have you checked your panel to see if theirs any spaces/amperage not being used?

oxanaca

oxanaca

Yes there are. I cant remember how many more but ill take a picture of it when I get there.
I think I may have a relatively small panel amperage wise, well have to see when I arrive

oxanaca

oxanaca

Damn I only have a 100amp main breaker20150115 153533
And my range breaker says 40 amps not 50

Top Bottom