• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Hi new to this site.
Been growing for about 30 years.
Last 10 years living in Spain.
Wanted to share a pic from one of my first grows, in Amsterdam on my terrace about 30 years ago.
Out in the open without any problem.
I scanned it from my old prints, so not a great quality.
This kind of grow would be impossible today, unfortunately.
Very restrictive policy nowadays in Holland.

30 years ago
Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Sure, if i remember after such a long time...

I was a young boy, just moving to the city, lucky to find a great and cheap place in Amsterdam centre, cannabis was still quite new to me but i absolutely loved the effect, and instead of buying in coffeeshops i started growing myself.

It went really well, the one on the Pic is some kind of Purple that finished quick enough for Dutch climate.

The Thai next to her was a bag seed and died in the cold and wet autumn with buds just starting to flower, i had no idea about long flowering sativas.
The other plants are not visible on the Pic.

I only had one book about growing, internet didnt exist, and one friend that knew a bit about growing.

My friend had been in trouble in school as he made a space cake for his birthday and made the whole class and teacher tripping.

I knew early on i found my passion in growing plants, and it never changed, still doing it with a passion.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Great story! I did not take pictures of the first grow but I have fond memories of it. Unknown bag seed forever gone :)

I have been to amsterdam a couple times. One time I was being scammed hard on the "hotel" ..the hotel lady was screaming in my face with three Kids following her.
I learned a lot about being a tourist they try to launder money out of.

Fuck vondelpark bed and hostel and their schemes for tricking tourists.

Its a bit much to me with all the people, everything has a price. People of color who if I meet their gaze they wanna sell me coke. Prostitutes proclaiming 50 euros for blowjob and some helpful Nice police officers (more so than in my native country)

Had a better experience in Holland when I stayed out of amsterdam :) but I noticed you maybe become more popular at the coffeeshop for speaking german rather than english.

But I get them. What do you do in Spain now and do you like it there ?

Holland has many good qualities that I like. I just dont like big amounts of people etc

SSgrower

SSgrower

Back in those days people were simply calmer and nicer as well. Less people too. Peaceful times, thanks for the view.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Great story! I did not take pictures of the first grow but I have fond memories of it. Unknown bag seed forever gone :)

I have been to amsterdam a couple times. One time I was being scammed hard on the "hotel" ..the hotel lady was screaming in my face with three Kids following her.

Its a bit much to me with all the people, everything has a price. People of color who if I meet their gaze they wanna sell me coke. Prostitutes proclaiming 50 euros for blowjob and some helpful Nice police officers (more so than in my native country)

Had a better experience in Holland when I stayed out of amsterdam :) but I noticed you maybe become more popular at the coffeeshop for speaking german rather than english.

Holland has many good qualities that I like. I just dont like big amounts of people etc
Yes some areas are well known for all kind of heavy dope being offered, and of course the red light district is famous.

I only go to Holland once every few years to see my family, but its hard now with all the travel restrictions, very exaggerated in my opinion.

Since i moved to Spain I worked here as a technician, and a bit as a gardener, but now just want to enjoy life and grow and make seeds, do what makes me happy.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter

And about big amounts of people, same for me, here i only lived in tiny villages close to the mountains, so much better than city life.

Although as a boy, coming from a house in a forest, with hardly any people around, i loved moving to the big city.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Thanks for the reply, I see where you are coming from. Coming from a small place myself it was Great to experience anonimity in the city and access to more than in the small Town.

But I have had my share of living close up on other people etc. Looking to relocate. Spain is great. Went to a coffeeshop in gran Canaria. Got Stoned and lost my bag that I bought there, went out and sat in a taxi. The cashier came running with the goodies and the driver drove with the Windows down. I was a bit embarrassed but impressed anyways.

I dont speak Spanish, and nearly caused a riot in there when I tried asking for a weed with a more smooth flavour/taste. Because they could not understand english.

Would go again. Guess you speak spanish.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
30 years ago, 1991...

the wall had fallen, the borders were less open than now, a youth culture was changing to a political culture... it was literally a totally different time! the wall changed so much so fast during that time.

i was there for a while in 89, but a little over a year 90/91. living on the economy for a year gives you are different feeling about a place. i enjoyed living up the north shore in some very beautiful seafront, tiny village, but i also lived in Amsterdam for several months, and i enjoyed that too! it was fast pace and i cant think of a time i didnt feel relatively safe. i mean, if you pick a fight then your friends cant be surprised there was some ruckus to deal with, and i was with a group or 10 guys! so, sort of den-mother!

i admired the people because they all seemed to know everyone else's languages! and with a fluidity that was amazing! they EVEN understood me and im total hillbilly! i was young and under traveled so it all was just a big WOW!

i went to the 3rd annual cannabis cup that winter! hmmm... i think it was actually winter late 90 when i was there for that long stretch. i think we started in sept of 90 and came back at christmas a year later.

no one seemed like pot was any issue, there were a few rules, and some amount of politeness. but for the most part, people were allowed to do as they pleased, and they seemed to be pleased to be nice and polite and fun! ... but on the other hand people could light a cigarette inside too - right next to you! and you could walk around with beer... actually i think it was a rule, you had to walk around with beer!

bicycles were the most dangerous thing to anyone walking the streets! they were everywhere! chained to anything! and you better watch out, they would knock you down! although... the whole place braked for animals! lol. these are just generalizations of a hillbilly in a big city! but i did love it all!! and it was quite the adventure!

it seemed to be the first place i ever heard of pot with names! we had mexican, skunk and then there was sensi after a while. went there and they had a menu! with names!!!

well, those were memories! thanks for sparking that in my head, i have smiled all morning!

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Thanks for the reply, I see where you are coming from. Coming from a small place myself it was Great to experience anonimity in the city and access to more than in the small Town.

But I have had my share of living close up on other people etc. Looking to relocate. Spain is great. Went to a coffeeshop in gran Canaria. Got Stoned and lost my bag that I bought there, went out and sat in a taxi. The cashier came running with the goodies and the driver drove with the Windows down. I was a bit embarrassed but impressed anyways.

I dont speak Spanish, and nearly caused a riot in there when I tried asking for a weed with a more smooth flavour/taste. Because they could not understand english.

Would go again. Guess you speak spanish.
Yes i learned 4 languages in school, but not spanish, i picked that up here.
Now i even think in spanish.

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
30 years ago, 1991...

the wall had fallen, the borders were less open than now, a youth culture was changing to a political culture... it was literally a totally different time! the wall changed so much so fast during that time.

i was there for a while in 89, but a little over a year 90/91. living on the economy for a year gives you are different feeling about a place. i enjoyed living up the north shore in some very beautiful seafront, tiny village, but i also lived in Amsterdam for several months, and i enjoyed that too! it was fast pace and i cant think of a time i didnt feel relatively safe. i mean, if you pick a fight then your friends cant be surprised there was some ruckus to deal with, and i was with a group or 10 guys! so, sort of den-mother!

i admired the people because they all seemed to know everyone else's languages! and with a fluidity that was amazing! they EVEN understood me and im total hillbilly! i was young and under traveled so it all was just a big WOW!

i went to the 3rd annual cannabis cup that winter! hmmm... i think it was actually winter late 90 when i was there for that long stretch. i think we started in sept of 90 and came back at christmas a year later.

no one seemed like pot was any issue, there were a few rules, and some amount of politeness. but for the most part, people were allowed to do as they pleased, and they seemed to be pleased to be nice and polite and fun! ... but on the other hand people could light a cigarette inside too - right next to you! and you could walk around with beer... actually i think it was a rule, you had to walk around with beer!

bicycles were the most dangerous thing to anyone walking the streets! they were everywhere! chained to anything! and you better watch out, they would knock you down! although... the whole place braked for animals! lol. these are just generalizations of a hillbilly in a big city! but i did love it all!! and it was quite the adventure!

it seemed to be the first place i ever heard of pot with names! we had mexican, skunk and then there was sensi after a while. went there and they had a menu! with names!!!

well, those were memories! thanks for sparking that in my head, i have smiled all morning!
Great, love your stories, now i am smiling too !
Gracias

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
So you did not know spanish before you moved there? :)
No, only basic stuff like mañana, buenas noches, cerveza, hola, paella, siesta and some more of those.

I kept watching the spanish news until i kind of understood.
Then started reading spanish newspapers.

And i was lucky to find a pretty decent job with contract, the boss spoke a bit of english and we kind of learned from each other.

Then i got a lovely spanish girlfriend and thats when i really learned to speak the language.
We are still very good friends now.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Great! I would of gotten an education in backhand and have a job to go to before I moved there i guess. Maybe that is why i never made it out of my country.

Sounds like you did it good for yourself

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Great! I would of gotten an education in backhand and have a job to go to before I moved there i guess. Maybe that is why i never made it out of my country.

Sounds like you did it good for yourself
Its never too late if you really want to go...
In my youth i travelled a lot, India was my favorite destination, went 3 times for 3 months, also Nepal, Thailand, some African countries, Cuba, and various times to Turkey, Greece, France and more European countries.

Apart from growing (and smoking what i grew) travelling was my other big passion.

I knew early on i didnt want to spent my life in little, flat, busy, long winter Holland, and thought about moving to India, that changed to France and eventually i ended up in Spain.

Love it here, feel free, so much nature, sun and space, here i can live until i dont live anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom