3000k Or 3500k Cobs For Flower?

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FutureGrower

I would LOVE some QB'S but they are too pricey. I built my own strip setup for about $1/w and ran my strips. If you have ANY electrical experience it's fairly straight forward. If COBs are your preference you can probably do them cheaper still.

If you go with last generations technology and run them at minimum current requirements I bet you could do the same but have a better final product... just for those who are budget orientated:)

sixstring

sixstring

I’m adding some extra lighting (COB LEDs) to fill the corners of my tent, and increase amount of light. Trying to figure out correct spectrums.

Currently have:
-LEC315 (4200k veg bulb, 3100k flower bulb)
-4x4 tent

Adding:
-4 drop light COB LEDs for corners.
- Either 3000k or 3500k

Ideally, I was thinking I’d turn the COBs on a few weeks after popping seeds, and possibly slowly turn up brightness until I got to the flower flip, then full power I switch my primary LEC BULB to its flower bulb at this time). If I was only using the COBs for flower, I’d just buy the 3000k. But why not get some extra light in veg too? Which is why I’m considering the 3500k COBs.

I’ve heard that the more far red spectrum of the 3000k (600-660nm) can cause stretching in veg.

I was curious if you all think that the extra red of 3000k is THAT important in flower? Or if I should just get the 3500k COBs, leave them on almost the whole time, and just worry about the color spectrum coming out of my primary LEC light?
if it was my tent i would use 2700k cobs and keep the 4200k lec in there full cycle.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I’d go with 3500k. I like a more white/blue spectrum and have had good results with it.

Back in the day when most were running HPS I was running a conversion bulb at around 4000k with great results vs the 2700k hps I had been running for years. But that’s me.

In fact I’d have no problems running upto 5000k and will be here shortly. It’s to supplement my vispar burples. If I was running just cobs and no burples I’d run as close to 4000k as I could. 3500k is the closest I’ve seen.
Whatcha think of these dumpster finds?
4000k recessed can lights!! Scooorrreeee

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter

Ya know spectrum wise I love it. If those are led then you scored big time. If they are halogen lights tho then it’s probably not much more than a heat lamp.

I used to flower with 4200 or 4700k conversion grow bulbs. Either hps to mh or vice versa, it’s been years so I can’t recall which one has the cap.

Anyhow my buds were the frostiest they ever were after growing years with straight hps. The plants stayed a little more compact but flower, terp and resin production were the best I’ve ever had.

In fact I want to get a 4000k panel to go in between my two 3000k panels on my quantum board. I think the extra blue spectrum will really bring out the resin.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh shit are those cobs? If so that’s friggin awesome bro. Way to score. If you can find more of them, snatch them up. Hell break into the building and take em either way, haha. Kidding.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Ya know spectrum wise I love it. If those are led then you scored big time. If they are halogen lights tho then it’s probably not much more than a heat lamp.

I used to flower with 4200 or 4700k conversion grow bulbs. Either hps to mh or vice versa, it’s been years so I can’t recall which one has the cap.

Anyhow my buds were the frostiest they ever were after growing years with straight hps. The plants stayed a little more compact but flower, terp and resin production were the best I’ve ever had.

In fact I want to get a 4000k panel to go in between my two 3000k panels on my quantum board. I think the extra blue spectrum will really bring out the resin.
Nope .Led. Thats a diffuser I'm gonna take off. Now I'm debating whether to buy a 4x8 tent or build it out of osb. 10$a sheet x 6 sheets. 2x4s around 30$, I HAVE HINGES ANF HARDWARE. I'm doing a coop grow at a friends. Is my 1000w hps too hot for a 4x8 tent? Even if I turn down to 50 or 75%?

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

I'm stoked .Ive been eyeing em. They made it into the dumpsger ..now there all mine

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I dunno I haven’t used a 1000w in a tent before. I used to build my own grow rooms to use and I never used anything larger than a 600w for personal use. With proper ventilation and air flow you should be ok. I used to run glass covers on my reflectors so the heat wouldn’t get into my space. I’d vent straight out from the reflector so it would suck all the air through my reflector and keep the bulb fairly cool but the hot air would get sucked out of the room immediately. So if you follow the same concept you should be fine.

Dan789

Dan789

So those also must be 120 volt supply, though mounting heat sinks to keep them cool enough may present dilemmas, and safety may also become an issue...

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm stoked .Ive been eyeing em. They made it into the dumpsger ..now there all mine

That’s awesome. I’ve very happy for ya and they get to be used for good instead of making it into a landfill. Good karma your way bro.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I would think they’d have heatsinks on them. They were recessed lighting and that would be a fire hazard at worst and shorten their lifespan at best if they didn’t have them. You could always make something though.

Dan789

Dan789

Interested to see what they draw current wise, do you have access to a amp meter? Or is there something on the housing indicating current and therefore calc’g wattage?

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Interested to see what they draw current wise, do you have access to a amp meter? Or is there something on the housing indicating current and therefore calc’g wattage?
10 watts

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Even for supplemental lighting they should be nice especially for the price. Oddly the bluer spectrum lighting for flowering hasn’t really caught on.

Back in the mid 2000s a group of us did some testing on CannabisWorld and found that bluer spectrum lights in flowering really added to the resin production and potency. I’m a little surprised that bit of knowledge hasn’t been more widely utilized.

Granted we didn’t do much documentation but there were plenty of us with experience who saw noticeable improvements with the change. We didn’t really keep it a secret either. Sure the bulbs cost a little more but the payoff was imo well worth it.

Fangthane

Fangthane

Wondering if someone with at least minimal skill with hand tools and wiring could maybe retrofit a nice little COB chip in those housings. Guessing you'd have to update the drivers, but they look like cool housing/heatsink assemblies for some DIY COBs. Not sure if the project is as relatively simple as it seems, but it's the first thought that came to my head.

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Should I sell my 1000 w adjustable hps for 75$ to a friend and buy 2000 watt led for 119$
Bestva 2000w?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Should I sell my 1000 w adjustable hps for 75$ to a friend and buy 2000 watt led for 119$
Bestva 2000w?

No.

• Compares to 1400 watt HPS while consuming only 390 watts! Twice effective coverage area than any Reflector Series lights, perfect for a 7.8' x 7.5' growing area at 24" height
I don't think you'll get quite enough coverage compared to the 1000w HPS that you were running. You'd probably have to run two of these to get the same coverage and results. Or one with supplemental lighting with it. But the reviews seem very positive and it seems cost effective. I don't have any first hand experience with this brand but judging on amazon reviews i'd say 2 of them would do just fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom