32 Light DIY Flip-Box

• Thread starter Patro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Patro

Patro

I needed a lighting control solution that could operate two rooms, each with 32 lights. Here is my solution.
I began with a cheap breaker box and gutted it. I then outfitted it with 24 volt bullhorn DPDT relays, a 115/ 24 volt transformer and a time delay relay
View attachment 904785

Here's a close up of the interior of the box. The TDR (time delay relay) delays 16 of the 32 lights for about 15 seconds. This prevents potential surges, allowing lighting to come on sequentially.
View attachment 904788

View attachment 904786

This actually has control for 64 lights (two rooms of 32 lights each.) The relays are DPDT, meaning when the relays are energized Grow Room #1 lighting comes on. In 12 hours when the lights go off in Grow Room #1, Grow Room #2 is then energized by default.

View attachment 904789
This made a rather expensive lighting control feasible in a DIY project. The only addition to the flip boxes not seen here are a small 3 inch fan. It will draw air down low and discharge it up high. The enclosure is lidded and contains a transformer and a handful of relays. Not a lot, but enough heat generates inside the cabinet for me to incorporate a little air exchanging. The fan only needs to run 50% of the time....i.e. when the transformer and relays are energized, meaning when the lights in Grow Room #1 are on, the fan operates. When the lights come on in Grow Room #2, the fan need not run

View attachment 904790

Patro

Patro

I needed a lighting control solution that could operate two rooms, each with 32 lights. Here is my solution.
I began with a cheap breaker box and gutted it. I then outfitted it with 24 volt bullhorn DPDT relays, a 115/ 24 volt transformer and a time delay relay

20190707 010550

Here's a close up of the interior of the box. The TDR (time delay relay) delays 16 of the 32 lights for about 15 seconds. This prevents potential surges, allowing lighting to come on sequentially.

20190707 012730

This actually has control for 64 lights (two rooms of 32 lights each.) The relays are DPDT, meaning when the relays are energized Grow Room #1 lighting comes on. In 12 hours when the lights go off in Grow Room #1, Grow Room #2 is then energized by default. This saved in available building amperage, and only works on two rooms with 12 and 12 schedules

20190707 010601

This made a rather expensive lighting control feasible in a DIY project. The only addition to the flip boxes not seen here are a small 3 inch fan. It will draw air down low and discharge it up high. The enclosure is lidded and contains a transformer and a handful of relays. Not a lot, but enough heat generates inside the cabinet for me to incorporate a little air exchanging. The fan only needs to run 50% of the time....i.e. when the transformer and relays are energized, meaning when the lights in Grow Room #1 are on, the fan operates. When the lights come on in Grow Room #2, the fan need not run

20191026 144153

Because of the 115 volt/24 volt transformer and 6 bullhorn relays, with the electrical box closed and the lights operating for a spell, I felt enough residual heat inside the breaker box to warrant a way to exchange air. Here is my solution. I found a 115 volt 2 inch fan and mounted it up high, blowing air out of the box, then cut a 3 inch hole at the lower box and grilled both.
The fan only operates when the transformer and relays are energized, meaning when the lights are on in the next room, the fans need not run. Problem solved.

20191028 155252

I'm not sure what a 220 volt 32 light controller would cost, but I'd bet it would be a lot higher than what this cost to build.

Hope you enjoyed!

20191029 114150

20190707 113014
Top Bottom